Airport Security
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 42

Airport Security
Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:48 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was wondering if anybody has been doing any air travel lately with maille items/materials. We are going out to the Seattle area at the end of the month and of course wanted to bring my supplies. Has anybody run into any trouble with your maille equipment either in your carry-on or checked baggage?

Thanks!

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:22 pm

I am fixing to fly for the first time in about a week and one day(hey who's counting?) I would be interested in the answer too.

I know that a friend of mine wasn't allowed to carry tweezers on an international flight like mine. I imagine pliers might not be allowed for those flights at least.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:50 pm

Found this:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Lorraine!! So what I am getting from this is that if my pliers are 7in or smaller I can have them on me in the airport. Does anybody have any personal experience with this?

It would be my luck that I got someone who was in a bad mood and would chuck the whole thing. Which is what I am trying to avoid. It is nice to know that I would be able to have them in my check-in luggage.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Last time I flew made maille was fine, rings were fine but pliers and cutting tools were not. That was between England and Southern Ireland.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 12

Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:12 pm

I have travelled with my rings and pliers in my carry-ons several times in the past year without problem.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Kind of funny how almost anything but explosives is fine in checked baggage - meat cleavers, guns, throwing stars...

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 57

Posted on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 am

I am not a huge fan of the dollar store, but alot of them carry toothless bentnose pliers under 7" and I would just buy those , if they confiscate them, oh well, sucks you can't maille on the plane, but better than losing your expensive ones, oddly enough I now use my cheapies more than any others.

Submissions: 244

Posted on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:12 pm

I've had to leave behind pliers less than 7" long recently. It's apparently up to the discretion of whoever checks your carry on bags. If they're in a bad mood you're out of luck.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Posted on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone. I like the Dollar Store idea Onering and like you said much better to loose $2 than $60. Thanks for the help everyone. This community rocks!

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:55 am

Lorenzo's completely right, there isn't much of an actual standard, or at least no adherance to posted standards. I've heard of nail clippers being confiscated on the outside of the checkpoints, and the gift stores on the inside selling them.

Personally I wouldn't risk putting anything you'd think they'd even ask about in carry-on. Drop it in your checked luggage with your pistol and meat cleaver, I always do. ;>

Submissions: 57

Posted on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:40 am

Look much of my experience comes from living under a major international airport, arm yourself with info and cheap pliers and you'll have noting to complain about. Other than that well , can't help you.

Posted on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:13 pm

oneringshortofafullcoil wrote:
Look much of my experience comes from living under a major international airport, arm yourself with info and cheap pliers and you'll have noting to complain about. Other than that well , can't help you.

You live under an airport? Are you a CHUD? Tell the truth. Very Happy

(CHUD - Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers)

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 pm

lorraine wrote:
oneringshortofafullcoil wrote:

You live under an airport? Are you a CHUD? Tell the truth. Very Happy

(CHUD - Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers)

LOL..someone is aging themselves...

Submissions: 17

Posted on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:41 pm

one bit of advice from my travels in the past year. If you check your rings, make sure they're in a container where they wont get mixed up at all. Even if the container isn't bouncing around inside the suitcase if there's ANY play to the space inside the container, those rings will find a way to get incredibly mixed.

I haven't flown without checking my stuff in a while, but the last time I did the security looked at the pliers (5"long) for a sec, said "what are these for?" I replied "I make chainmaille jewelry and armor." To which they said only "Ok" and let me walk on :-p

I finally add some semblance of a signature. And It's all because of the...

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=20641">My Maille Code</a> V1.0: T6.1 R5.3 Fhelm MAl.a W$s C$eb G1.6/.9 I9.5/4.8 Pd Ddjas S05 CCi

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next