most common weaves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:42 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Blaise wrote:
cliffordparker wrote:
If you want to get picky then ALL weaves are simply varients of 2-1 since that is the "grand-daddy of all chains" and, if you remove a certain amount of rings from any weave, you can reduce it to a simple 2-1 chain. Very Happy

Well, I can't really agree with that. It's like saying there's no point in calling bears and ducks different families of species because if you stick them in a cuisinart and blend them up it's all the same chemicals.

I hope no one does this, just an example Razz

Where do you buy your cuisinarts that you can fit a bear in one?

Anyway: I've seen shaggy loops stuff out in the real world a bit recently. Might be coincidental.
Or would that qualify as 2-1?

Submissions: 21

Posted on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:26 am

Thanks, they'll be added to the list as part of the V2.1 update, at the moment i'm planning to take care of that in early august.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Posted on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Blaise wrote:
It's like saying there's no point in calling bears and ducks different families of species because if you stick them in a cuisinart and blend them up it's all the same chemicals.

Is it bad that my mouth is watering?

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:22 am

I don't see HP4-1 on the list ... and it's what I made my first real project from. [A semi-permy bracelet of 16g 5/16 stainless -- big, but way cool. though it's odd, the closures don't look as good as they did a couple weeks ago ] Coif LoL

--Liz

Professional Polymath
http://polymathsolution.com

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:52 am

I think what you are looking for is

Full Persian 4 in 1

I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong but from what i remember the even numbered persian chains are called Full Persian because of their symetrical look, and the odd numbered variants are called Half Persian because they lack the symmetry of the even variants.

Hope this helps Smile

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain

Submissions: 17

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:08 am

full persians start at 6-in-1 and are kind of round/square in cross section, half persians are relatively flat starting from 3-in-1 and on. The reason (I assume) full persian is 'full' is because it's really just two strips of half persian woven through one another to make that tube shape.

I finally add some semblance of a signature. And It's all because of the...

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=20641">My Maille Code</a> V1.0: T6.1 R5.3 Fhelm MAl.a W$s C$eb G1.6/.9 I9.5/4.8 Pd Ddjas S05 CCi

Submissions: 50

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:47 am

Actually, there is a 5-in-1 Full Persian. 5, 6, 8, Grizzly 6, Grizzly 8, FP Dense, and maybe some others that follow the roundish chain profile and I think would possibly fall under the true Full Perisan umbrella.

There is a Full Persian 4-in-1, but it is not really a true Full Persian as it is typically defined. It is named more for its similarity of appearance to the true Full Persians, and actually, I'm just now noticing that its 'arrows' run in the same direction giving it a 'Grizzly' type relation. It is not a commonly used weave.

Half-Persian 4-in-1 is a commonly used weave. HPs can be woven starting at 3 and typically have an open triangle cross section (like an upside down 'v', typically) in the case of the odds and the unbalanced evens or a rectangular cross section in the case of the balanced evens.

While anon's statement makes a certain amount of logic, it is, as he surmised was possible, incorrect.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification, looks like i'll need to fix the list Smile

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2