69%  [ 23 ]
order rings
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 33

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:55 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I make my own rings when I can, although I have ordered once from RoS. Usually cut them now with jewlers saw, but have done it with bolties using score and break method when I can.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 97

Posted on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 pm

I make all my rings (I love my jeweler's saw Coif Smiley) and as many of the findings as I can. It's cheaper that way and I enjoy making them. Not to mention it's a lot of fun to see people's reaction when they find out you made every single ring.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 2

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:30 am

I voted buy. I am just starting out, and experimenting with things. Once I am a little more confident and have the space & knowledge, I will likely try making my own.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:49 pm

I found that I much preferred weaving rings over making them. When I started making maille I liked the process or making the rings, but I didn't have an adequate method. I had a clamp to hold wire, but it wasn't a clamp I could tighten, just one of those things you squeeze to open and a spring keeps em shut. Over time the wire wore away the rubber tips and the metal couldn't hold the wire in place. I just got irritated and never really made a better rig to make the rings.

I also found that my hands couldn't take the stress of making AND weaving as many rings as I wanted to do when I got REALLY into it. I was ending up with blisters and didn't want to wait for them to become calluses instead :-p

I also work primarily with anodized Aluminum which I need the rings fully anodized or else when you cut the wire, you end up with little silver tips to all the rings.

I still make some of my rings, like 18g or 20g wires in small diameters, but they're also not as good quality as if I ordered them. Primarily ordered rings: AA, BA, galvy 16+g bronze 16+g

I finally add some semblance of a signature. And It's all because of the...

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=20641">My Maille Code</a> V1.0: T6.1 R5.3 Fhelm MAl.a W$s C$eb G1.6/.9 I9.5/4.8 Pd Ddjas S05 CCi

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:33 pm

I cut most of mine, silver and copper anyway. I started out with a kit from U.M. and ordered a refill kit from them. Even got some Bronze from TRL, then I got turned onto the Koil Kutter and coil and cut my own now. I wanted a Jumpringer but couldn't see paying that much $$. I have yet to try to work with AA or SS so I will end up buying them if they are saw cut until I get the feel for those metals.

BTW Enco sells the exact blades that the KK guy sells, not sure if they are the same price, if memory serves they are a little cheaper. You can also get the transfer punches through them if you are looking for either SEA or Metric... (just food for thought).

"Phoenixx wrote:

If you're going to do something, you might as well do it grossly oversized and as loud as possible."

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:32 am

I am currently buying my rings, I want to start to make my own at some point in time!!

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2