Metal Hoops
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 9

Metal Hoops
Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:16 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey all I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find metal hoops or "rings" of about 2in diameter. For clarafication i'm talking about the kind that you would use in dream catchers and such. I'm done some searching around and the smallest I could find is 4in.
Thanks-F.D.M.

Submissions: 153

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Well just using google I found this.

http://www.chichesterinc.com/DreamcatcherRings.htm

I however get some locally at a beading shop.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:53 pm

When dreamcatchers was a theme contest topic people where saying they found them at Joann Fabrics and other fabric stores in a variety of different sizes. I have never looked for them there, but hopefully that could give you a place to start looking.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Tandy Leather, or local craft stores in the leather craft section(Michaels is usually the better option there). You may luck into them at WalMart also.

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:20 pm

The site derailed linked had them in the size I needed. I didn't have trouble finding them I just had trouble finding them in sizes smaller than 4in. Thanks derailed!!

Submissions: 153

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Ferd De Mann wrote:
The site derailed linked had them in the size I needed. I didn't have trouble finding them I just had trouble finding them in sizes smaller than 4in. Thanks derailed!!

Cheers.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 pm

I bought this some time ago... its not solid but they work!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigtitann_chainmail/3278635684/

BigTitann

Posted on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:41 am

well I think I'll take up BT's idea and buy some key rings. The first site requires a $75 min order, Ouch, and I only need about 5 rings ha ha.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:08 am

I got mine from Tandy Leather:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/site+search+results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=metal+hoop

Mark.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Posted on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:29 am

Sweet, thx

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:02 pm

Most fabric and craft stores will have them.
Local to me JoAnn's, Michaels, ACMoore all have them. Walmart did when they still sold fabric.
My local leather shop caries harnes rings also but that can be expencive. Ace hardare has some about an inch or inch and a half size.
At one point I think TRL was makeing welded stainless craft rings But that may be a custom order or a discontinued item.
If that does not have the size your looking for makeing them is pretty easy but can be time consuming. I use1/4-1/8 and bend them around a plywood form, braise the ends together with a common propane torch and some flux coated rod.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:42 pm

I know you've found what you were looking for on that site, but I thought I'd also share that I've found 1" rings at hardware stores, I wasn't looking for anything bigger so I don't know if there are any. That's always a possibility if you get stumped and need something faster than delivery.

I finally add some semblance of a signature. And It's all because of the...

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=20641">My Maille Code</a> V1.0: T6.1 R5.3 Fhelm MAl.a W$s C$eb G1.6/.9 I9.5/4.8 Pd Ddjas S05 CCi

Submissions: 50

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 pm

For what it's worth, my local hardware store has all sorts of sizes of split rings, up to some pretty large (relatively speaking) sizes. In the section where all the spring clips and quick links and other clasp type objects (National is the brand) are, they also have some welded rings that are either galvanized or nickel plated (or both, and maybe some brass, your mileage may vary) in about the size range that Ferd was looking for, but they were fairly thick "wires".

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 20

Re: Metal Hoops
Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Ferd De Mann wrote:
Hey all I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find metal hoops or "rings" of about 2in diameter. For clarafication i'm talking about the kind that you would use in dream catchers and such. I'm done some searching around and the smallest I could find is 4in.
Thanks-F.D.M.

Uhm, TRL sells these as 'teaching rings' or used to...
I have a couple of dozen, I use them for the same sort of thing...
Often, this sort of thing isn't listed on the website...

If you're ever curious, send Bernice an email... Often times, the answer is 'Oh, we happen to have a few of whatever you just asked for, let me ship it to you for $x'

Posted on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks for the extra places to search for. This will come handy in the future. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next