Blackened steel to shiny?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Blackened steel to shiny?
Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:40 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

How do I make my blackened mild steel shiny again, since I don't really like the black, but it was the only thing Home Depot had, and it's my first time. Is it possible to make it shiny again? Confused

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:56 am

you found blackened mild steel instead of cheap galvy at home depot?

./me kills you for your home depot

Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:06 am

Quote:
./me kills you for your home depot

i'll second that. Why can't my home depot get some of that. Wanna trade?

Submissions: 2

Re: Blackened steel to shiny?
Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:16 am

desertkatzi wrote:
How do I make my blackened mild steel shiny again, since I don't really like the black, but it was the only thing Home Depot had, and it's my first time. Is it possible to make it shiny again? Confused

To help clarify, did you buy the mild steel, In the blackened state? Or has it gotten black from making and fiddling with the maille? If you mean it Got dark, then the 1st thing to do is wash the maille. If that dosent work well, try putting it in a pillow case with sand. This should polish it up a lot!!!

Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:47 pm

From my understanding, the steel was already blackened when it was purchased. The blackening is a rust inhibitor that is very hard to remove from what I have heard. I have never personally tried to remove it, but from what I have heard it is almost like a baked in oil. This means that is is almost bonded to the steel underneath.

I supposed polishing with a heavy abrasive for a while might work. There might be other ways such as an acid bath, but I don't really know. I am sure others here will know some creative ways to remove the blackening.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R4.8 Fhp3.1 MFe.s Wgi Cba G2.0/.8 I9.5/3.1 Paj Daj S06 CCp

Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:56 pm

i'd take a small piece and dip it in acetone. if its an organically derived oil rather than a synthetic that should take it off no prob.

and... you should send me your wire, and i'll send you zinc'd galvy, which is waaaay shinier

Posted on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:08 pm

Sorry if I didn't make it very clear. It was already blackened when I purchased it. And thank you for the replies so far.

Posted on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Was it rebar tie wire that you bought? I know that some of it is blackened (I work at a company that supplies rebar) The home depot around my area has it. It's located next to the rebar in the building materials area, typically next to the fencing and steel mesh. Comes in a little rolls and is about $5 a roll.

Submissions: 12

Posted on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:42 pm

That's what it sounds like; but what I suggest is trying other hardware stores besides the big named ones; they may have a small ton and a half of product but seldom do they have bulk chain & wire you can buy sections of for certain prices.

We have a 'small town' hardware store here that's an ACE hardware that has everything you can think of that home depot wouldn't have; one of the things they carry is bulk cable/wire; you buy how many feet/yards etc you need for a variety of prices; they've got welding wire, they've got picture hanging wire; they've got a few different kinds of other misc packaged wire; but their bulk wire section is the most varied I've seen of different types of wire (most of it coated, you strip it yourself for a few minutes of time you get different types of wire)

*A note about safety*
As for dipping things in chemicals ;if you're going to even attempt something like that and you don't know what the stuff on the wire is made of (exactly) make sure you wear a respirator with gas/fume canisters that will keep you from getting sick or dying as a result of toxic/noxious fumes given off by mixing acetone or other substance with an unknown substance.

Posted on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:39 pm

I was actually at home depot last night pickup some blackend mild steel aka Rebar Tie Wire in the building materials section, it was $3.00 for a 3.5lb roll. I figured what not, and after handling it and messing around with it, I would most definatley say that it is more than likely baked in oil. It's some messy stuff, I would recommend wearing some sort of gloves while wearing it, unless you dont mind getting your hands covered in oil.

I also got some cheap Galvy, if you go back to Home Depot again for more wire it should be located near where they keep the cut to length chains on the rolls. It should be down the aisle a bit from there.

Posted on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:53 pm

I know at most walmarts they have a few rolls of 14 gauge and/or 16 gauge galvy and it usually only runs 3-4 bucks for a 100 ft roll.

just in case yours has it its usually in hardware, though i've seen it in crafts and appliances too for whatever reasons.

Posted on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 pm

I have some of that wire- I like it- it's easy to coil, cut, and weave.
After I wind a coil, I use some very fine steel wool, (0000), and give the coil a good wipe-down, while still on the mandrel. Using the power of the drill to spin it, just travel up and down the length of coil a couple of times.
Then I get it all bugared up with beeswax, when I cut it, so, after weaving a piece, Ilike to run it thru a cycle in the dishwasher (HOT), and finish it up with an overnight tumble in walnut shell. It never really acheives a high shine, but I think it looks pretty good, in the end.

A friend will help you move... A true friend will help you move the body.

Maille CodeV1.0T4.1R3.8FbyzMtWhCwG1.290/0.511I6.5/2.0PjDjS08

Posted on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:04 am

If what I'm thinking of is what you are talking about, then it is also known as mechanics wire. I had absolutely no use for it, the black didn't stay on very well and rubbed off onto you quite easily. Very very messy where I got it. It's annealed as well so it isn't as strong as most galvy you can get. Galvy is a much better alternative.

Maille Code V1.0 T?.? R?.? Ffp6.1hp4.1 MFe.g Wg Ce G4.8/.5 I8.2/1.4 Pj Djcad S07 CCi
If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice.-Jim Croce
"Wherever he is, I hope he rolls good stats on his next incarnation."-Rich Berlew on Gary Gygax(so just how many of us read OotS?)

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:25 am

dubhdarra wrote:
I know at most walmarts they have a few rolls of 14 gauge and/or 16 gauge galvy and it usually only runs 3-4 bucks for a 100 ft roll.

Ungodly expensive. Try shopping around with lumberyards vice hardware stores, and with fence supply places, looking for a price of a dollar per pound or so, in bulk wire, no package, no nothing. These places are selling wire in bulk to people who use it in quantity.

For riveted mail work, I'd like to find wire of about .048" diameter (18gaSWG) or rather finer in bulk, myself. Such things can be found online, in reels of thirty pounds and more, at prices like the above. It's MIG wire, so it needs to be annealed/normalized before working it into mail, for MIG wire is springy to enhance its feed through the welding gun.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 57

Posted on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:43 am

Wgroen wrote:
I was actually at home depot last night pickup some blackened mild steel aka Rebar Tie Wire in the building materials section, it was $3.00 for a 3.5lb roll. I figured what not, and after handling it and messing around with it, I would most definatley say that it is more than likely baked in oil. It's some messy stuff, I would recommend wearing some sort of gloves while wearing it, unless you don't mind getting your hands covered in oil.

rebar tie wire you are referring to is dipped in some sort of grease(name escapes me) to help it from rusting it is 16g mild steel , this stuff sucks, but if it is all you can get your hands on, at 345ft rollat 5$ hey maille it up, a dip in standard degreaser( mix of dish soap 'N' water and/or windex) will strip this "oil" but will leave with a product that rusts.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next