BEST source for SILVER rings??? And marketing dilemma!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

BEST source for SILVER rings??? And marketing dilemma!
Posted on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:24 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

OK, I'm moving closer and closer to sawing my own rings, but I'd sure like to try making some jewelry in silver in the meantime. Can anyone advise on the best-priced source for silver rings (say, 20g 1/8 or 7/64)? I've ordered other materials from TRL and know they're cheap, but the shipping isn't. Is there a better deal (and faster shipping?) Also, are tool marks a consideration when making silver jewelry? Obviously I've never worked in silver and am nervous about making the jump.

I'm about to market to a local gift shop, and they're "snootier" than the craft markets I usually attend as a vendor. If I sell to the gift shop (they don't deal in comissions but buy pieces outright and add a markup), then in all fairness I can't sell the same pieces for less at the local craft markets (one of the markets sets up right outside the gift shop!). So I'm thinking about doing silver just for them, although their jewelry prices aren't high on avarage. The only other solution I can think of is "sacrificing" a fancier design or two exclusively to their shop, and using sterling findings and more expensive stones. I could still show pictures of the designs at my markets, saying, "sold exclusively at Snooty Gift Shop..." What do you all think? The gift shop's a great opportunity to get better known locally, so I'd like to make it happen.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Well .. just checking out Rio Grande Sterling 18ga is $15.56
TRL is $18.65
Fine R.G. = $17.11
Fine TRL = $20.00

Shipping is about the same I would imagine.
Now TRL weights are listed as oz .. while RG is listed as Troy oz ...
1 troy oz = 1.09714 oz
Rio Grande has a fine rep. Just watch the price of silver if you order from them. Their prices flux's based on the market and can change in seconds. They also comput price at the time they load the baggy, could be good or bad..if you order late in the day, they will fill the order on the day after and charge market rate then.... TRL price is "as marked" till they change it on the site .. no flux.

Quote:

If I sell to the gift shop (they don't deal in comissions but buy pieces outright and add a markup), then in all fairness I can't sell the same pieces for less at the local craft markets (one of the markets sets up right outside the gift shop!).

Now I hope ya'll will pardon me when I call bullcrap on that.
Ya got yourself a fine sense of honor there. And I can see your not interested in undercutting some biz that bought your stuff to sell.
But thats the problem, they bought your stuff to sell at THEIR prices. You don't get a cut, and they aren't interested in cutting you in, or they would accept your pieces on commision.
Now if your selling pieces at the same price you sold them to the "store", well that's fine, and honest sales. But you blocking a sales outlet for your stuff because your "marked" price is lower than they jewerly store is selling them for is none of your concern. It's not yours to be concerned about.

Posted on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Bleah - I know. But the gift shop owners are sort of friends of mine, and our community is small. They operate in our (tiny but somewhat revitalized) downtown area in a shop off a square. I'd literally be undercutting their prices on their own doorstep. I can get a LOT of exposure through them though. Keep the comments coming!

I'll look into Rio!

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:07 am

If you are looking for cheap rings, keep in mind that you get what you pay for, then you could try firemountaingems.com. My main complaint with Fire Mountain is that their rings will have these little "notches" from the machine that cuts them, but on smaller and shinier rings it's not as noticeable.

Posted on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:52 am

MonsterSlayer.com is quite good for wire and rings.
Good prices.

J

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:33 am

I only give exclusives to accounts that can, and commit to buy $500 of inventory every 4 months, then they get the exclusive...not otherwise....you're going to have to be and act like a business person....with freinds, it can turn into a sticky situation.

Check my materials page http://charlieschaincraft.com/materials08.html ....pricing based on the daily Londn Fix, Rio's is based off of the Handy and Hardy quote.

Yeah, that's a link below also. Standard or Argentium Sterling, same price. 100+ ring sizes, 1/16 to 1/2 inch, 24-10awg. Free Priority USPS in the US.

Have a Happy and Healthy....and remember the kids, it's really mostly for them.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

odd sized rings?
Posted on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:02 am

Any suggestions on where to find what I'm now assuming are unusually sized rings? I have a pattern that calls for 21g 2.38mm i.d., 19g 3.57mm i.d., 19g 3.97mm i.d., and 19g 4.37mm i.d.. None of the online sources that I know about seem to carry much of anything in 21g, nevermind 2.38mm. I'm OK with the pliers but don't think I'm handy enough to start making my own rings Smile

Thanks for any info!

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:37 am

those MM sizes are based on inch-metric conversion...

2.38mm = 3/32"
3.57mm = 9/64"
3.97mm = 5/32"
4.37mm = 11/64"

i'd also guess that the wire sizes are SWG, not AWG... they're much more normal-looking in AWG:

21swg = 20awg = .032" = 0.8mm
19swg = 18awg = .040" = 1 mm

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:30 am

I have this unusual habit of supplying unusual ring sizes in unusual gages, and if you'd be interested in unusually sized mandrel sets, well, I do those also.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Have you looked at bluebuddhaboutique.com, or spiderchain.com? I get alot of my cut rings from bluebuddha and everytime I order from her the rings arrive in three days like clock work.
Very Happy

Bekka

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead.

Posted on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:07 pm

I've looked at both those sites and admire the artists very much! I also appreciate Kodiak's professionalism (and free advice!). Once again I have to say, I can't believe what a supportive community we have and I'm very grateful for it. I will let everyone know what happens with the gift shop...I also dropped off a few pieces at a salon owned by friends, which sells a little jewelry on the side. It's a pretty informal arrangement, so we'll see if it works out.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:10 am

I buy from Kodiak, and he throws in freebies.....and the rings are always nicely packaged and stuff.

I have an idea for you, only sell the shop certain designs and sell certain ones at your shows. Bang, no conflict. But however you choose to handle this, be upfront with them. See how it goes, then maybe offer other designs later on. You could have your standard ones, then maybe you could offer a new one every season or quarter. Just my $.02.

I have to agree with Kodiak though - they are friends so the lines must be clear. Don't let them yank your chain. If they want your stuff in their store, they need to accept the deal you lay out, and if you all can agree then great, if not don't feel bad about walking away.

Good luck, sounds like it could be a good thing for you.

Posted on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Gret ideas, great feedback - thanks everybody! Actually, I found out yesterday that the gift shop does a 50/50 agreement with jewelry makers. Ouch! I had thought about the "exclusive design" option before; I had decided that maybe I would do simple E 4-1 instead to make them affordable, but at 50% going to the gift shop, this isn't looking great.

Problem is, I'm out of rings, and my corporate job is looking shaky at the moment. I have to get the perfect investment figured out if I'm going to do this...

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:03 pm

All of the places listed are good sources.

I have also heard that Spider over on TRL is a good supplier too. Her website is here.

Not saying she is any better than Kodiak, just another source.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R4.8 Fhp3.1 MFe.s Wgi Cba G2.0/.8 I9.5/3.1 Paj Daj S06 CCp

Posted on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:47 pm

I should probably have said before that I worked at this gift shop for a short while, so I actually sold stuff to their customers. Things priced at around $30-35 sold fast, anything higher, not so much. So that's a goal. (Incidentally, that's when I got the idea to make and sell jewelry. Several instructional books later, I hit upon maille, and well, we all know what happens next!) Coif LoL

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next