Homemade heavy duty tumbler
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Homemade heavy duty tumbler
Posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:26 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

24" long, ~21" high, 3.6 cubic feet total room (27Gal), with a removable divider for 2 internal chambers. 6" for small stuff, 18" for large things. Or one big 24" for extra large things. 1/4" thick steel plate. At least 200lbs of steel there.
1hp electric motor connected to a 60 ratio geared speed reducer and chain sprocket drive. Should do ~17rpm once running.

Its almost done. I just need to paint it, and seal the seams with silicone so its watertight. Also need to finalize the divider for the two chambers and get a neoprene sheet to seal the doors with.

Other than that it works great. Right now its spinning away with 50lbs of crushed corn, and 20lbs of 14g 3/8" rings that I cut on the Ringinator.

After I beef up the 2x4's that support it, and touch up my welds on the axles, it should be able to hold 100's of pounds of media and items.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:34 am

Sweet. You should have all of your tumbling needs fulfilled from now on. Also way to over kill with the 1/4 inch thick walls.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R4.8 Fhp3.1 MFe.s Wgi Cba G2.0/.8 I9.5/3.1 Paj Daj S06 CCp

Posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:49 am

In hindsight yes. 3/16" or even 1/8" would have worked ok too. But im not an engineer, nor do I have any clue how strong this stuff really is.

But hey, a nice thick coat of paint and it will last forever. Coif LoL

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:44 am

your not kidding there. you could have got away with 16g sheet metal. pleanty strong enough...looks like it is turning a bit fast thou in that pic up there. need to turn slow enough tthat centrifical force don't hold it all to the walls..hehe might just be the pic thou.

just one question did you but viens in it? most industrial tumbers i've worked with have viens in them, just tlike the ones in your dryer. they are only there to help 'toss' stuff around in side a cylender but, are usefull. yours don't need to have them because of the shape of the barell but i thik it would improve tumble time none the less. (2c)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 pm

MaxumX wrote:
looks like it is turning a bit fast thou in that pic up there. need to turn slow enough tthat centrifical force don't hold it all to the walls..hehe might just be the pic thou.

Just the picture. He's geared it properly.

Quote:
just one question did you but viens in it?

Same thing I suggested. He didn't think it was necessary.

From the TRL thread: http://www.theringlord.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40280

Posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:57 pm

If needed, its easy to tack weld 4-5 fins in there. As for that picture, thats just a long exposure, thats why its blurred.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:28 pm

ColdChicken wrote:
Sweet. You should have all of your tumbling needs fulfilled from now on. Also way to over kill with the 1/4 inch thick walls.

I'm not sure why you would need 1/4" thick ether Surprised . I'd use more like 1/16". the way it is now, i hope you don't have eny kids or animals running around Sad . at a filled load, you could have a 400 lbs spinning. and i don't think that's vary good.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1