Thai-style (?) weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 12

Thai-style (?) weave
Posted on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:46 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So last week, ColdChicken posted this thread about a Thai Silver Bracelet , and I think I managed to replicate the weave:

The first one I did was out of 1.6mm square copper - an experiment I don't think I'll be repeating (wear gloves - ouch), maybe 16mm across, give or take. Then I tried it again out of .8mm craft (copper base) wire, about 6mm wide. It worked up much more easily, though I think if I were to do this "for real," I'd go with 18ga Fine Silver (dead soft).

Weaving it reminded me of summer day camp, weaving lanyards.
Four sides, two wires per side. If the wires on the side facing you form \/, the ones directly opposite form /\ . The two pairs of wires are then folded across the center so that the inside wires are from the \/ side and the outside wires are from the /\ side - always - so the top, after each layer, kind of looks like this: \\//, only not quite as obviously- see below. After you fold the wire and make sure that layer is laying nice and flat, you turn it 90 degrees and do the other pair.

About forming-
The square copper won't budge with simple hand power, but the smaller wire formed nicely into a med-tight arc, sturdy enough to be worn as a bracelet, but not quite sturdy enough to stand up to a rough pull.

edit: fixed url

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Submissions: 50

Posted on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:23 pm

At a quick glance, that seems to be spot on. Nice job, Talia!

And I have to say, doing that initially with that large of wire, even if it is copper, is just plain crazy. Sounds like something I would try Smile

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 57

Posted on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:31 pm

Oh cool , kind of reminds me of Gimp plastic wires, how is the flexibility?
Thanks for sharing Talia, as I am currently in a more or less one handed situation, I may have to try this , any suggestions on measurements, for wire to final product ?

Submissions: 6

Posted on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:02 am

Sweet...a few more pictures and that is an article waiting to happen! (Just do it!)

Posted on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:45 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Elemental Dragon wrote:
And I have to say, doing that initially with that large of wire, even if it is copper, is just plain crazy. Sounds like something I would try Smile

I KNOW you must have some fencing lying around somewhere! Hmmm, how bout a little barbed wire? Aw, yeah...

oneringshortofafullcoil wrote:
Oh cool , kind of reminds me of Gimp plastic wires, how is the flexibility?
Thanks for sharing Talia, as I am currently in a more or less one handed situation, I may have to try this , any suggestions on measurements, for wire to final product ?

OneRing- what happened to your hand?!?!? I hope it's not a mailling related injury. Boo boos on your face, hurt hands... Are we going to have to get Dreemr to give you the safety lecture? Smile

Excellant flexability on the small one- the woven length is 2" and I turned almost a full half circle. I did take a photo... I'll put it up.

I didn't measure the length before I started. Rolling Eyes I know, I know... But I'm thinking each length was in the 30-36in range. I cut 4 and then folded them. On top of the 2", there is about 7" left. If that's right, it took 8-11 inches ( x8 ) to weave 2"? Why doesn't that sound right? I'll try some more and get back to you.

Carys wrote:
Sweet...a few more pictures and that is an article waiting to happen! (Just do it!)

Great idea! It's on the list. Smile Thanks!

edit: got rid of inadvertant emoticon.... ( x8 ) = (xUber if you don't use spaces.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:34 pm

Very cool, good job replicating the weave.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R4.8 Fhp3.1 MFe.s Wgi Cba G2.0/.8 I9.5/3.1 Paj Daj S06 CCp

Posted on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks, ColdC!

I'm going to be out of town for a couple of weeks, so plans for more pix, etc are getting side-lined for a bit.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:02 am

Vary Cool! reminds me of a persian weave.. GW!

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 2

Posted on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:52 am

That's what I said in my original post, I guess great minds think alike Very Happy . I thought it was fp 6 in 1, but it is woven like a lanyard.

I am going to have to try this because I was addicted to lanyards while I was at scout camp, and still am as a councilor.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R4.8 Fhp3.1 MFe.s Wgi Cba G2.0/.8 I9.5/3.1 Paj Daj S06 CCp

Posted on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:30 am

PPPCC
please post pictures, cold chicken

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1