Stainless vs. Galvy Problem
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Stainless vs. Galvy Problem
Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:44 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Short version: Is there a quick method for telling the difference between stainless steel and galvanized steel?

Longer version: I finally finished my first giant coil of wire today! The coif is coming along nicely (I think up to around 1000 rings. Yes, I know I'm a little slow) But this wire that I'm using is from a few years back. I've long since lost the label to it.

I was at Home Depot today, and almost picked up another coil. My only issue was that I couldn't find any 16g SS. They only had SS in 22g, and everything else was Galvy. I've been thinking for the last month that I was making this coif out of SS, and now I'm second guessing myself due to the stock at Home Depot.

Anyway, I don't want to *finish* the coif in the wrong metal, as I've heard that Galvy can discolor over time in the wrong conditions. Any suggestions?

Maille Code V1.0 T4.2 R3.5 Fe4.1 Fe.s Wi Ca$ G1.6/.61 I6.35/3.18 Pa Djd S01

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:41 am

Galvy usually has a dull appearance even when new, it has a lighter, matter appearance to stainless and feels different too. Stainless is shiny and smooth.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:18 am

You may prefer to stay out of hardware stores. Welders' supply stores will have SS MIG welder wire, though to get it cheap you'd need to purchase a pretty fair amount. MIG wire is springy and doesn't like sharp bends. Use gradual ones to prevent it snapping.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:51 pm

They have Stainless at Home Depot! I though they only had Galvanized!

(jumps in car)

(drives to Home Depot)

(remembers he is broke and sulks back home)

Pack of gum? Triple bag it!
-
www.chainmail.com

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:40 pm

AFAIK, Stainless is normally much less magnetic than galvy.

Maille Code V1.0 T?.? R?.? Ffp6.1hp4.1 MFe.g Wg Ce G4.8/.5 I8.2/1.4 Pj Djcad S07 CCi
If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice.-Jim Croce
"Wherever he is, I hope he rolls good stats on his next incarnation."-Rich Berlew on Gary Gygax(so just how many of us read OotS?)

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Yep. if a magnet picks it up easily it's probably galvy.

Hail to the king, baby.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:13 pm

The smell can be different. The taste too. Razz

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Zjef wrote:
The smell can be different. The taste too. Razz

Give it a good sniff. if it smells like your sivlerwear it's probably ss if it smells like... well i dunno galvy i guess nothing i know smells like it.

_-xXRedxDragonXx-_

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:20 pm

Theokestral wrote:
They have Stainless at Home Depot! I though they only had Galvanized!

(jumps in car)

(drives to Home Depot)

(remembers he is broke and sulks back home)

Well, SOME Home Depots. And its generally pretty hard to find. The new one I go to obviously only has galvy. I'll have to trek across town to refill my stainless (which I'm pretty sure it is because its shiny - I'll try the taste test though. I chew on rings quite often, but haven't worked with galvy much.)

Maille Code V1.0 T4.2 R3.5 Fe4.1 Fe.s Wi Ca$ G1.6/.61 I6.35/3.18 Pa Djd S01

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:39 pm

-you said youve had the wire for a few years, if youve had it for a few years then it shouldnt reflect well and should either be a grayish (if kept in the house) or dark grayish (if kept outside).

-Now if you still cant figure it out take a peice of wire and go outside to a chainlink fence (if you have one) it should look like that.

-If you still cant figure it out take out a silver coloured peice of silver whare, if it looks gray in comparison its galvy

thats all i can think of.

"Who is to say that I am who I say I am if no one knows who I am not to become but me."
-Azrenn the Draconian

Maille Code V1.0 T5.2 R5.1 Fbyz Mfe.s Wcs Cjaw G1.6/0.3 |25/1 Pa Dacdj S06

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

drop one of each ring in a bucket of bleach.... and uh.... pull em out after about 20 or 30 minutes. Galvy will grey, stainless will tarnish a bit, but sill be really shiny.

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Posted on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:21 pm

As a follow up, I went across town to home depot - the one where I originally purchased my 16ga "stainless" (As I recall). Turns out, they don't carry it anymore, so I picked up some galvy and decided to try my chances.

Long story short, I can not tell ANY difference - taste, smell, look (there are no visible borders where I continued my project) from the rings made 2 years ago, to the rings I've added in the past couple of nights.

So hopefully galvy armor isn't a faux pas.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 pm

FletcherH wrote:
So hopefully galvy armor isn't a faux pas.

If you think about historical correctness: Butted mail isn't as well, if you do not decide to make armor of Roman Empire or earlier era - Thereafter, butted mail was not more usual, as I believe to know. So don't worry too much about galvy.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 9

Posted on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Lol if we were worried about being historically correct we would all be using mild steel.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:53 pm

@ferd: Yep I guess too, that even historical correctness is a very subjective thing.

There are only relatively few authentic pieces of chainmaille armor preserved up to today. And it can be assumed, that especially high valued pieces survived time, while "cheaper" ones, of semi-serial production were used up, rusted away, or simply got lost. So I think, that even in times, of that only pieces of riveted armor have survived time, butted mail was in widespread use, or that maybe some pieces were made with significant amounts of meteorite iron with high nickel content, so they became virtually stainless (archaeologists found knives that showed that). I also think, that weave and tailoring variants were manifold, and many of them just did not survive.

So if someone shows a newly made piece of chainmaille today, and another guy says: "This is not historically correct", I can only laugh about - simply because nearly anything that a modern mailler thinks to have made generic and new, somewhen surely already has been made by people, that only lacked to preserve their knowledge for the future. So in my opinion only maille pieces (or armor sets of) can be counted as "not correct", if they are made with materials, that exist only for a hundred years or so - or if someone shows a combination of pieces, that simply don't fit age-wise.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next