E4-1 to E6-1????
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 3

E4-1 to E6-1????
Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:22 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Is there a way to take a sheet of E4-1 and convert it into an E6-1 in a few steps?

I have an old suit of chainmaille and the rings are massive, I am going to convert it into a paint ball outfit for this opcoming weekend but I fear the rings are bigger than the paintballs (sad I know).

"Who is to say that I am who I say I am if no one knows who I am not to become but me."
-Azrenn the Draconian

Maille Code V1.0 T5.2 R5.1 Fbyz Mfe.s Wcs Cjaw G1.6/0.3 |25/1 Pa Dacdj S06

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:50 pm

Not that I am aware of - and I am the person who made "E46" - the nearest result that could come out of such an attempt, imho.

But what about converting to king's scale or a variant of? That could make the weave denser without pulling it together, if the right ring size is chosen and the baseline E4-1 is loose enough (=made of rings with an AR high enough)...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Maybe I should ask this question. Does anyone here paintball, if so have you used chainmaille/does it work, also does anyone know the diameter of a run-of-the-mill paintball.

"Who is to say that I am who I say I am if no one knows who I am not to become but me."
-Azrenn the Draconian

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:37 pm

a typical paintball is about a .689 calibur, (around 1/2") the shirt I have works wonders against them, but only if I wear a shirt over the chainmaille, projectiles weren't meant to be stopped by chainmaille, so throwing a t-shirt over the chain shirt simply let's the shirt absorb the blow.

As for the 6-1 to 4-1, if they're the same ring size, it's a breeze, just line em up and connect them.

like this:

6-1)))C))4-1
6-1(((C((4-1
6-1)))C))4-1
6-1(((C((4-1

As for smaller sizes to big sizes, you'll have to tinker around with it to get it to work, perhaps adding a few expansions in there to make them line up closer.

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Submissions: 50

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:48 pm

I think what he wants to do is convert a piece of E4 into E6, not attach a piece E4 to a piece of E6.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 pm

A large part of the excitement is avoiding the pain associated with catching paint. The more it stings, the more you DON'T want to take hits, the more tactical you become. To be honest, when some one shows up to my field wearing body armor... I gotta question why they are playing. I fully endorse reproductive organ protection as well covering all exposed skin. But when I see body armor, meh... I'm not so impressed. I'm thinking either this player is afraid of taking a hit or plays on fields that allow muzzle velocities in the 'not safe for human consumption' zone (+300fps).

3 problems I've seen with armor. 1: frequently the armor prevents a player from knowing they've been hit. especially from a blind side. 2: the players level of (for lack of a better word) fear is diminished since the hits don't hurt and they behave in ways that people getting shot at would not normally behave (taking risks that are totally outlandish). and 3: The players stealth is reduced.

I say, spend your time practicing your move-and-fire tactics instead of overhauling your shirt. Coif LoL

anyhoo... even if your rings are 1" ID, they should be fairly effective. the chances of a ball slipping exactly through wide open rings is pretty slim. and once the ball breaks on even the edge of one ring you will lose most of the balls energy to permanant deformation. throw a shirt over the maille and even a dead-between-the-rings hit will likely lose most of it's energy before skin contact.

What do you play? speed? scenario? woods?
my little gang engages in woods/scenario. Been kinda lame so far this year because of my work schedule though... check it out:

www.neheadhunterz.com

Hail to the king, baby.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:45 am

In my experience, maille makes it worse. I have a shirt of 16g 1/4" id galvy that i made and let someone shoot me with it, i had a terrible bruise that had the patter of E4-1. and it stung more than just a paintball should. mabye wearing a shirt over it would be ok but I don't feel like trying. And as for the body armour thing, i agree only the face needs any kind of protection, the skill of the person is what determines the outcome, and the thrill of dodging (sp?) the paint is the best part of it all. shooting at an armoured person doesn't seam fair when your standing there in a sweatshirt and jeans.

_-xXRedxDragonXx-_

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:46 pm

I play every now and then against 200+ people, they have this thing called the terminator, who has a taped off box on his chest and in order to take him off the feild he must be hit there.

I usualy play in the woods, I mostly wanted to show them what chainmaille was. I work very well in stelth like scenarios, but the rental guns are so bad that I am forced to go into close combat (i.e charges, foxholes, and swat styles). Im ok with that type but im better being a sniper.

-Azrenn the Draconian

Submissions: 29

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:02 pm

well converting your shirt to 6-1 would take a long time just by its self, not counting the extra rings you would need to add to make up for the contracting to 6-1

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:29 pm

rental guns are usually sub par. Which is OK if EVERYONE has a rental gun. when you get a few ppl that have some higher end markers that can really reach out and touch some one and every one else has the paint choppers, the games tend to suck. However... do not mistake a fancy lobber for talent. fast paced, assault type games tend to move fast and level the field on some aspects. Our field is fairly dense especially between spring and fall which pretty much limits sniping altogether. even though all the players have fairly comparable markers and skill level, you never know weather your going to shoot or get shot from game to game.

Hail to the king, baby.

Submissions: 83

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:55 pm

If you have an E4-1 shirt with arms, a long hem, etc. then you could take it appart and remake it into an E6-1 vest, or some such smaller piece. I have not a lick of paintball experience, but if it were me, I might want to especially have something to cover the chest & back.

Submissions: 26

Re: E4-1 to E6-1????
Posted on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Azrenn wrote:
Is there a way to take a sheet of E4-1 and convert it into an E6-1 in a few steps?

I have an old suit of chainmaille and the rings are massive, I am going to convert it into a paint ball outfit for this opcoming weekend but I fear the rings are bigger than the paintballs (sad I know).

Yes, provided the AR will allow it.

starting with standard 4-1 take the first middle (gold) ring open it and grab the next two rings and close.

Like this...

Open the second center ring grab the next two and close, just keep repeating.

Now the mail will compress quite a bit so you might have to work each first ring all the way across the sheet and then each second ring and so on this will keep the compressing even across the sheet.

Mail by it's self is not good defense against blunt trauma don't forget to add padding under the mail.

For the hauberks of the Dwarves were so fashioned that they rusted not but shone ever as if they were new-burnished. The Silmarillion

Submissions: 12

Posted on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:05 am

Tritus_17 wrote:
In my experience . . . . sweatshirt and jeans.

Love your avatar, Tritus. It makes your typing sound all deep and malevolent. Bwahaahaaa!

Sorry- side note and all. Couldn't help but share.
Evil or Very Mad

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1