Making Rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 14

Making Rings
Posted on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:01 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ever since I started making chainmaille, I wave wanted to make my own rings instead of buying them. I was wondering how I could make this possible. I do not want to make them because of price, but just to have that satisfaction that I did it completely by myself. I already know everything that I need except: what do I need to buy so that I can cut my coils without them being pinch cuts? Is there anything that can do this? I am mostly working with stainless. Would the cobolt mini bolt cutters work? because I have heard great things about those cutters.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.2 R4.3 Eo.p Fhp4.1 MFe.s W$ C$ G0.8-1.7 I2.9-8.2 N13.11 Pj Dadjs Xg14 S08

www.degrassirocz.deviantart.com

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:23 am

How you cut them always depends on your budget. If you want the "perfect cut" that you get form store bought rings you will want to invest in a jump ringer (that is if you have a big budget) I wouldnt nessisarily reccomend a hand held jewelers saw for stainless because it is pretty strong stuff and it will take to long to cut it. A dremel like set up (like the one by stargrazer http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=6667) But it is al little difficult to get all the factors right, (make sure to usse the saw he reccomends first cause you will save alot of moeny if you do).

Thats my 2 cents, im sure any people have better info.

"Who is to say that I am who I say I am if no one knows who I am not to become but me."
-Azrenn the Draconian

Maille Code V1.0 T5.2 R5.1 Fbyz Mfe.s Wcs Cjaw G1.6/0.3 |25/1 Pa Dacdj S06

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:39 am

I swear by my Knipex Cobolts. even though they are bolt cutters, they are high enough quality that when they cut hard materials like stainless, they leave a "z" cut instead of a pinch, its basically half pinch, half diagonal. i think these cuts look pretty good, but if you're looking for flush or complete diagonal these will not do it. when working with any gauge smaller than 16, however, the cobolts have trouble with stainless, i nearly destroyed my hands trying to cut 1/4 hard TRL 14 gauge stainless with my Cobolts, so i bought some massive bolties from tractor supply. i also get wonderful Z cuts from these cutters, because the jaws are lined up. the key to buying bolt cutters is that the jaws are sturdy and lined up perfectly, if this is the case, you will probably get decent cuts on hard metals.

if buying minibolt cutters though, you can't beat the cobolts, well worth the price, i've cut thousands and thousands of rings with them and they still cut just as good as when i took them out of the package

-'Tis but a scratch!
-What? Your arm's off!
-No it isn't!
-What's that then?
-I've had worse!
-You lie!

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm using mini bolt cutters too. Not Knipex, but I'm planning to buy Cobolts as soon as I have the money.

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:46 pm

After some researching, I believe that this would be the best way. Correct me if I am wrong. I think that I should get an Arbor from TRL, and attach that to my drill, then get a saw bade to put on it, and cut that way.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.2 R4.3 Eo.p Fhp4.1 MFe.s W$ C$ G0.8-1.7 I2.9-8.2 N13.11 Pj Dadjs Xg14 S08

www.degrassirocz.deviantart.com

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:53 pm

As others do here, I love my Cobolts too, if cutting stainless in bulk amounts like needed for armour. For other materials or smaller amounts (like needed for jewellery) I prefer shear cut or sawing.

But to improve my results I modified my CoBolts by attaching a closing limiter made of wire (see yellow arrow in first image), so the cut does not go through the wire to be cutted and the rings are separated by the score-and-break method. And the result seems convincing to me, as image two shows.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:57 pm

ZiLi, that looks neat and efficient. Maybe you should write a short article on it in the supplies section under tool modification.
The cheap mini bolt cutters I use have a small bolt to adjust the cutting depth. This way I get a fairly nice cut.

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:02 pm

here's a bit of what I posted not long ago, have a look at it and it'll prolly give at least a few insights, and hopefully not confuse you...

http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=12047

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1