Watertight weaves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:39 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

How about this, before doing your weave use plasti-dip on the rings to coat them in rubber, then use a very small ID with a large Guage so the rings barly fit, also pick a tight weave like maby dragonscale. hopefully the plasti dip will have enough give to bind it tightly together with little to no gaps. any of the gaps you could fill with a little extra plasti-dip. also it will help the bowl cup ect to keep it's shape. Anyone willing to try it? if you do tell me if it works.

Posted on Fri May 16, 2003 1:00 pm

you could try using a clear fiberglass resin for sealing the gaps in the rings. im not to sure of the price for the US but in australia its not to expensive and you can buy it from a hardware store.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri May 16, 2003 8:38 pm

Well heres what im trying right now

i got a cup made of HP 3in1 sheet 6 the i deaa is to inbed it in to glass i've attempted it once already but the glass went boom (the maille surviedit to) in the coling process, but cince then i have gotten a heat regulater (not shere on the real name of this thing) tank to cool the glass evenly with the ssteel so this time i hope it wount go rong

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Silver Solder
Posted on Sun May 18, 2003 3:29 am

The silver solder idea is probably one of the best to use. I would recommend coating the outside of the cup or bowl with something like casting plaster. Casting plaster is basically a very fine grain plaster of paris. Doing this will allow you to have the chain look on the outside and have a silver alloy for the inside of the cup/bowl. Don't coat the entire outside of the object tho. You need to have a rim of some kind or you will end up with a silver/chainmail dribble cup. Using the plaster will allow you to heat the object up as high as you can to give the silver solder a better adhesion to the chain.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Mon May 19, 2003 10:35 am

My personal advice? Find yourself a blacksmith/armorer friend, and have them make a cup for you. Then simply produce a reversed aventail around your cup. Oh, and be sure that cup soon to have a handle for drinking purposes, can be drilled through. I've seen it done to wine goblets of what I think was stainless steel, where an 'aventail' was hung around the goblet and tightened up around it so as to completely coat the bowl of it in mail.

Submissions: 2

A suggestion or two...
Posted on Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:08 pm

I had an idea for this... Perhaps you could get some kind of acrylic spray? Maybe the stuff they use on nails? That migth work with a few coats... And it would be pretty easy to apply... Or what about the sealer that you use on models and stuff? Like Warhammer figurines and such? There's spray for that, and stuff like that... Maybe it would work! lol No clue! *laughs*

-Arrian

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:05 pm

i've got an idea its called polylemer i think u can get it in a craft store and its nontoxic......lol

honey i'm home

It's very possible
Posted on Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:22 am

It's possible to make a watertight weave. You can make a screen so tight that water doesn't drip through it. You can weave metal strands tight enough to stop water from going through it. To make watertight maille you'd have to use very very tiny rings with a very very tight weave. You could have holes in the maille as long as they weren't big enough for a drop of water to go through.

Posted on Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:54 am

I'll put a cute term on that kind of mail. There's micromail. Then there's tweezermail. And after that, insanitymail. Past that, I think we're delving into nanomail, and I'm pretty certain that would be like hand-weaving cheesecloth. Which, by the way, still passes water despite having almost-invisible gaps.

Submissions: 27

Posted on Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:53 am

They must've handwoven cheesecloth at one stage... Remember that our patience and attention spans nowadays are a LOT shorter than they used to be, with the advent of the Industrial Revolution etc.

I think a machine could make the nanomaille for watertight purposes. And even just for fabric type purposes... just thinking of nicely made sheets of nanomaille - I'd wear that!

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

We are the Queen of Typographical Errors! You must all bow to Our Ineptitude!

"How the hell is a person supposed to take over a plane with a pair of pliers? *grabs pilot and holds pliers to neck* 'Take the plane to wherever I say or I pinch the pilot, I MEAN IT!!'"

Posted on Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:45 pm

o m g.....posting this has become more annoyance than it's worth...

ok...i had a long message ready to post, but the idle thing on the site kicked me out and i lost it..

As i was reading the topic, i was thinking about it, and i remember something that Kiyudr had posted a while back when she was messing around in her chem class....

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/pics/9217cnv0002.jpg (not sure if that's gonna work or not, haven't tried posting links)

if you were to make the cup/bowl/whatever, then give it a thin coat of clear polymer, it would become water tight, and useable...

using the polymer dip, you wouldn't even really have to make it a dense weave....you could use a classic euro 4-1 Razz

Posted on Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:03 pm

Very Happy

It is well-known that the body is made up of various elements, among these being iron. The reason we know the body has iron in it is because we can taste the iron in our blood. Therefore, it stands to reason that the iron in our blood will be drawn to the north, just as the iron needle on the compass is drawn to the north.

In order to make the body compass work, you must shut your eyes, so as not to confuse things, extend the right arm with the index finger pointing, then spin around three times to the left. When you stop, open your eyes, and you will discover that you are facing north.

Dragons of a Lost Star
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

Posted on Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:06 pm

step 1 weave cup
step 2 squeeze layer of clay around outside
step3 use tool dip or other lining technique on inside
step4 clean off clay after siad thing is ready Uber

How can introduce myself to myself when I don't even know me any more
Insanity is an artform!
MEMENTO MORI MOO

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:32 am

OK I didn't have time to read the whole thread, so if this has been suggested please forgive me...

Get a plastic cup and line it with chainmaille inside and out with a dense weave and just tell everyone its a chainmaille cup (well it IS isn't it?) See like fox(spelling? er like a fake whatever)-water tight Smile

Just an idea but if you can make a pure chainmaille thats water tight that would be really cool

The work of many geniuses can be undone by a single idot.
As can the stregnth of a chain be undone by a single link.

*sings* I'm Popeye the mailler man!!! *toot toot*
With forearms as big as trash cans *toot toot*

Submissions: 17

Posted on Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:01 am

is it just me, or is this thread over a year old?

when i saw that it was written by ama cobra, i was like, WOAH! HES BACK! then i saw the date, and i sank back into depression......

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 8. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next