some super cool pliers
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 9

some super cool pliers
Posted on Thu May 15, 2008 1:39 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hubby wanted me to spread the joy he has found with these pliers that he just bought. He absolutely loves them! The handles are really really comfy and the jaws are strong enough for heavy duty wire.

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-2078915-Vise-Grip-4-Inch-Linemans/dp/B000JNNVUO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1210858704&sr=8-4

Submissions: 57

Posted on Thu May 15, 2008 2:36 pm

everyone seems to have these funky little pliers I have got these long A$$ huge things (I love em)but my smaller ones are cheapees

Submissions: 72

Posted on Thu May 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Those big handles make a world of difference. I've used mine for a few years now, and I never want to go back.

~Mical~ Coif Smiley

Submissions: 17

Posted on Thu May 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Irwin are a brilliant make. Tell you what there hacksaw blades are pretty good too!

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu May 15, 2008 4:22 pm

I have a simmiler variation only the handles are Ergonomic (one handls cureve is reverced) they are about 5in long and work well for my uses (mosly armor)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu May 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Those look amazing.... I wanna try them!

A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

My Blog!

Maille Code V1.0 T4.8 R4.8 Fbyz MFE.g Wg Ca G1.5/0.5 I10.8/1.2 Pj Dacj S05

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon May 19, 2008 12:42 pm

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=STANLEY+PLIERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=84-031&SDesc=6%26%2334%3B+Bi%2DMaterial+Long+Nose+Pliers

I've had these for over 2 years now (ever since they came out with em' I r&d'd em :] )

just keep in mind I make mostly armor and less of the whole expensive crap that people like to polish and oggle over, so these keep my hands pretty well eh... comfy.

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Posted on Mon May 19, 2008 1:02 pm

those look comfy Jengajuice.
He does mostly larger stuff...armor and jewelry, but stainless and titanium, no weaker metals. he says that the new ones work awesome, especially for opening and closing rings cause they are strong, but comfy too.

I do the more dainty stuff....I have like a dozen different pliers that I use. I wish they made some flat nose with teeth for gripping the rings...cause i do some stuff in stainless and titanium also. But, with me, I would need the flat noses to have thin noses so that I can get them in there to close rings on the weave.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Wed May 21, 2008 10:45 pm

i've been getting tendonitis like crazy in both hands trying to quickly make a hauberk out of 14 gauge stainless, can't stand it anymore, so i figured i'd give these a try; i bought a pair of the ones listed and a bent nosed pair, and got free shipping! i'll post what i think about them when they arrive (hopefully soon!)

-'Tis but a scratch!
-What? Your arm's off!
-No it isn't!
-What's that then?
-I've had worse!
-You lie!

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:07 am

Alcomene, i love the pliers!! i bought the pair you listed and the same thing except in bent-nosed for my other hand, they are fantastic! When I first saw them, I was like oh no there's no way these tiny things are bending 14 gauge stainless, but they do, and they do it well! they are comfortable and give the best grip on a ring that I've ever seen pliers give on these stainless rings. Thank you so much for posting!

-'Tis but a scratch!
-What? Your arm's off!
-No it isn't!
-What's that then?
-I've had worse!
-You lie!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:21 am

ya, Thanks for this topic, i gotta get myself some more comfy plies for heavier gauge stuff. funny really, i switched to using computer trackballs because i started getting bad RSI when i was 12, now i go take up another hobby with identical problems...... typical.

Posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:31 am

Glad they worked for you!!!! Your welcome for the post!

Submissions: 3

Better prices on the Irwins
Posted on Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:24 am

Surprised Try toolbarn.com for the Irwin pliers. Some of them are offered with 1 cent shippng, and at lower prices than Amazon. Cool

Posted on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm using two of these pliers since the day I started mailling.

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:07 am

Quote:
I wish they made some flat nose with teeth for gripping the rings...cause i do some stuff in stainless and titanium also. But, with me, I would need the flat noses to have thin noses so that I can get them in there to close rings on the weave.

Alcomene, Would these fit the bill?

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-2078945-Vise-Grip-4-Inch-Spring/dp/B000JNLTXK/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b

I just ordered a pair from Amazon along with the small linesman's pliers. The specs on the Tool Barn site say jaw width 1/10" and jaw thickness 1/4". There's not an alternate view to see exactly what they're describing, but when I get mine in I'll let you know how they look.

Jeffrey

"Blar diddy blar diddy blar blar." - Blar

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next