Usefulness of an article on mandrel breakage?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 7

Usefulness of an article on mandrel breakage?
Posted on Tue May 13, 2003 10:25 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm just curious if I should bother posting as an article, the various speeds I could make mandrels explode at, by spinning them without wire? I had one I use in my wire-feeder jig snap while winding, smack me in the leg six or seven times, then whing off into the ceiling, and subsequently, I tested to see what speeds/stresses would cause the winder to 'blow up'. Should I bother?

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue May 13, 2003 5:15 pm

Before I comment, I'll like to be the first to say that I am not a patent person. While entertained, I can be happy mailling for hours, but unless I've got conversational company, or music to ease my under-stimulated mind, I can't sit down and do it... I like to wind fast too, so that when I'm in the mood, I can wind and wind for three hours, and not get another mood for a LONG time... so I wanna be efficient about it...

That article would be great for people like me, so that I can wind REALLY fast, and not end up impailing myself on my mandrel Smile

Blessed be,
- Spider

Merry meet and merry part,
Bright the blessings, warm the heart.
- Wiccan Rede

Submissions: 93

Posted on Tue May 13, 2003 5:18 pm

No information is without worth. If you've taken the time to find the data, by all means post it!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Tue May 13, 2003 5:32 pm

I agree, as long as it is documented, SOMEONE can find some knowledge in it. By all means, post statistics, numbers and factoids. In the worst case scenario, it'll be COOL trivia to stump some looser in home-ec class with! LMAO

Blessed be
- Spider

- Wiccan Rede

Posted on Wed May 14, 2003 2:56 am

Roger that. I'll put -something- together, though I'm not sure what.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed May 14, 2003 7:10 am

yes,

please do post something

i recently mangled one of my mandrels do to that of too many rpms (~2200rpms And the Diamiter was 1/2in carbon steal)
and in the process gave myself a rather nice gash in my sholder took 15 stiches to patch it (ouch)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Wed May 14, 2003 7:33 am

Just submitted it. Strange... the 1/2" mandrels I abused, one broke on its own without being stressed, and the other one survived a fifty pound load at maximum revolution. Still, I don't advise pushing ANY mandrel past 1,000 RPM, as the 3/16" winders I tested blew up at 1,500 without any stressing at all.

Posted on Wed May 14, 2003 12:28 pm

1000 RPM? how the bloody hell can you wind wire at 1000 RPM? Why would you go that fast?

- Spider

- Wiccan Rede

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed May 14, 2003 3:24 pm

I would like to see a picture of your winding set up. So does it basically wind the wire for you?

Lee

SPQR!

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed May 14, 2003 8:34 pm

Now that what kind of thing need to be posted (among other things but.) Helps people with savty and can aid in productivity as well. Nice post..Nams

Namshaske,

What kind of set up do you have? i Use a old lathe i got free from a closing machine shop my max rpm's is 3,000 did you say yours was 4k+ (geez)

(and let me tell you a 1/2in bar snaping at those ervolutions in not cool im still healing from that)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 15

Posted on Thu May 15, 2003 2:02 pm

Do us a favor and block it from batives account....he'll probably want to 'test' those results for himself, and i don't want to be the one starting the thread ' to the dearly departed'. j/k

anyways that sounds like a good idea, although my 3/8' is a rock, nearly indestrucable

thousands of rings, sure chance of slip 'n jab, what are we watin' for?

Posted on Fri May 16, 2003 2:36 am

The setup I use has the drill controlled by hand, and the wire mechanically fed through a series of two modified pulleys from a free-spinning spool. I generally don't try and push it past about 2,000 RPM for a good reason-- I've bent multiple mandrels that way, and nearly killed everything in the vicinity when the wire snaps from overstressing. Still, it's very handy to just pull the trigger on the drill and have a coil five seconds later. The only work I do is to ensure the rod stays level while the feeder is pulled along it, and to keep the speed consistent. I should get a picture of it, and add it to the article I posted in Safety on how to break a mandrel.

Posted on Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:42 pm

So do you also have away to cut those coils equally fast? or is that the bottle neck in your operation?

Posted on Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:51 am

That, would be the bottleneck in the operation. I'm stuck with a pair of modified shears.

Submissions: 4

Solution to the bottleneck of cutting coils (sorta)
Posted on Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:19 pm

I visit my brother at work often and they just got a new machine which is amazing. It is called an EDM, it cuts through steel in a snap with a super thin wire that is energized with electricity. If only i could find one of these cheap and adapt it to my needs. In theory you could cut a coil as long as you wanted, providing had a filament long enough to lay across the length of the coil.

The speed of the cut and closeness of the cut would make any other cutting method seem straight out of the stone ages. Not even a jewelers saw could compare to the clean, straight cut of an EDM. The only gap left from an EDM cut is the thickness of the wire filament which can be incredibly thin.

I need to work on building my own, because buying one would be too expensive and not suit my needs(they have cnc type cutting controls and can cut very detailed shapes but all i want is a straight line).

If i come up with a way to make them applicable to maillers i'll definitely post it here or a link to a private page with plans for one. I believe all you would need would be a powering device to get the high voltage needed (maybe an old welder) and a jig to hold the wire and connect the electrodes.

Now all I have to do is find out more of the specifics like power requirements and what the filament is made of (probably tungsten), anyway that's my idea to stop the bottleneck of cutting coils (Just gotta get it to work.)

~MrSchnuh

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next