PaintBall..Maille..
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 74

PaintBall..Maille..
Posted on Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i had a vest of my chian maille on (briyne(SP?) at a game and had some of the guys take a shot at rang at first. i told them to hit me in the chest or back of corce some are realy bad aims i got hit in the head (3ice) the ear (2ce) and the arm (3ice) but the ones that did hit my aluminium suite (25) i diden't even know i was hit. about five of them asked for a suite on the spot. i told them my price for a simple light dencity vest ($75)..thay were suprized to see that i diden't charg an arm and a leg...but anyway i continued to have them move in closer and shoot at eventualy about 20ft what we call safe kill range (meaning that in side that rang no shots can be fierd to kill a person in a game..the painball gear cant proterct you at that rang.)...the suite held perfict still only felt like thay were shouting from 70yds away..

have any of you tred a suite for paint ball (if you play.)

the suite it self that i was wereing was a aluminum 6 in one 17g 3/16 so it was a bit dence. but i think it could have been much thiner and worked just as good.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:03 am

my brother has started paintballing! so far all he's got is the gun nothing to soften the paintballs hit. (which is pretty funny because that doesn't stop him Rolling Eyes ) he asked me to make a chest plate out of maille for him. i also met someone whos son made a shirt and uses it often in paintball. he said it works very well! i imagine! Have you seen the marks those little balls leave on players. and thats even with all there gear on. you could make a mint selling maille to paintball players

buh bye
tig'kat

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:26 am

I haven't paintballed much, but I had thought the inside limit was about 5 meters, which is where those 90m/sec paintballs really start to sting.

A hard, ventilated shell to break paintballs up on is a standard fixture in paintball games, and mail would work just fine in that application. It won't help a guy cover a lot of terrain in a hurry because of the weight he's carrying, but it is sure to explode the ball on impact. Might be especially attractive as neck protection; I've heard of people fitting themselves with scarves of netting like camo net or suitably colored football jersey fabric, the stuff with the eyelets. Either puts a hedge of ventilated stuff between your neck and incoming, and a standard of mail would do the same thing with a closer fit. It would want a cloth lining around the neck, and that would be about it.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:55 pm

RED,

ya we use some of thouse in our games. most of the poeple i play with don't do alot of running there all almost 50 yers old only 3 of them can realy move good thats why thay thought the vessst were a goon idea...the gorget sound like it wouuld be too i hadent thought of one of thous yet

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:58 pm

I made a Alum Jap 6in1 shirt for paintball. It works good too! I had a guy shoot me from 6 feet away and I bearly felt it. However, I'm the kinda guy that plays paintball in a tanktop, so I rarely wear it.

Gloves are the thing I need. I hate getting hit in the hand.

Stephen

Posted on Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:23 pm

oh i know what you mean Stephen i hate getting hit in the hand just last night i gat hit in the hand at close range and got a welt bad enough its split open i think it might have broke my finger but not shere. going to the hos. later today. jap works well? i wouldent think that it would humm ill have to try it i gat a 6in 1 jap shirt kinda open though i would thingk..

Posted on Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:51 am

oops..i did indead brake it....MY finger is broke now how an i supost to get that vet done..heheh..i can work around it i have befor..lol

Submissions: 9

Posted on Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:23 am

MaxumX,

I made a maille "bib" for the paintball mask that my apprentice type person wears so that he will not get shot in the throat. This was before I started teaching him to maille. I made the original out of 16 gague, 1/4" galvanized steel in a European 4 in 1 weave. Justy heavy enough to work and not too heavy to pull the mask off. Since I took him on as my understudy he has replaced the bib with titanium in a European 6 in 1 weave.
All in all, the bib thing works.

Peace,

Matt

'Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
- Joseph Carey Merrick, "The Elephant Man"