Coloring steel rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:39 am || Last edited by Zjef on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

After about 35 minutes is looked like this and smelled even worse than the hydrogen peroxide experiment.

But: I have some result!

Some rings turned dark and others not. Some rings only colored on one side... Things have to be optimized, but this method seemed to work.

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Submissions: 582

Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned that you need to move them around once in awhile to ensure consistency. It's been like 7 years since I tried this.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Yeah, I know for a fact that letting them sit too long will strip all the galvy off the rings. I own a glove that's more rust than steel now. Live and learn.

Maille Code V1.0 T?.? R?.? Ffp6.1hp4.1 MFe.g Wg Ce G4.8/.5 I8.2/1.4 Pj Djcad S07 CCi
If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice.-Jim Croce
"Wherever he is, I hope he rolls good stats on his next incarnation."-Rich Berlew on Gary Gygax(so just how many of us read OotS?)

Submissions: 9

Posted on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:09 am || Last edited by Zjef on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Today I've tried it again. I used the same rings form my last experiment, so some of them already had some dark grey spots/sides.

Left: colored, right: uncolored

I used a different brand of lemon juice (the cheapest one I could find - not very strong). The rings soaked for about 40 minutes. I shook the bottle every 7 - 10 minutes.

There are still some rings (let's say 30 %) I would not use for an inlay because they were too light or just had some dark spots, but I can live with it. Let's go for a bigger batch!

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:36 am

Looks good, keep it up!

Maille Code V1.0 T?.? R?.? Ffp6.1hp4.1 MFe.g Wg Ce G4.8/.5 I8.2/1.4 Pj Djcad S07 CCi
If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice.-Jim Croce
"Wherever he is, I hope he rolls good stats on his next incarnation."-Rich Berlew on Gary Gygax(so just how many of us read OotS?)

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2