Aluminized steel?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Aluminized steel?
Posted on Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:24 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

hey!
i was just wondering if any one had ever worked with aluminized steel?

thanks
tig' kat

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:36 pm

tiger kitty,

Ok...let me be the first to say, "what the heck is that?"

Peace,

Matt

'Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
- Joseph Carey Merrick, "The Elephant Man"

Submissions: 10

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:03 am

I've heard of nitrogenized steel but never aluminized steel. Confused Seems like a strange mix to me.

It's not paranoia if you know they're out to get you...

Submissions: 24

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:20 am

I've heard of steel covered with aluminum, I think it is used for electric fences.

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

Watashiwa nihongogo wakarimassen.

Submissions: 82

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:20 am

Thankfully, i just did a project on India, where this stuff is used alot becaause of India's voloptuous(sp?) supply of Bauxite. Aluminized steel, is what they develeped as they have very litte zinc. The use aluminum instead of zinc for galvinizing. the Aluminum protects the steel from corrosion just like zinc, and weighs less. Very Happy

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 12

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:49 am

Aluminium coated steel?
Questions pop up im my mind as I type, like:
1. looks like aluminium?
2. doesn't tarnish (unlike normal galvy)?
3. same strenght as normal galvy?
4. similar price as normal galvy?
5. as easily available as normal galvy?
6. can it be anodised?

And finally:
7. Who has the answers to these questions? Very Happy

ELEX

Submissions: 82

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:12 pm

sorry,i dont have the answers. Im sure it would be rust resistant, much like galvy. Im not sure of costing, but im sure over here it'd be pretty expensive. Not in india though... Very Happy

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:26 pm

This is what I found about it
? is produced by cold-drawing good commercial grade steel rod into wire of the appropriate diameter. ..The coating is produced by passing the cleaned wire through a molten bath of aluminum metal?

from DeCordene WireWorks? http://www.chainmaille.prohosting.com/charles/

"This is an interesting material we have found. It is originally intended for use as electric fence in marine areas where saltwater and the zinc coating of normal Galvanized Steel to not react well, this has an Aluminum coating on it instead. What makes this material interesting is that the Aluminum coating does not turn color over time, it remains looking new forever. It has the exact appearance as new Galv Steel. The 15G version of this is a perfect replacement for Galvanized steel in combat applications while the 12.5G Version is good for re-enforcement and very strong pieces. "

unfortunately he only has 12.5 gage wire/rings

posted on Arador armour library? "Posted by Harbinger on Thu Jan 8 20:50:58 1998:

Jeffers is a catalog that sells aluminum and other fencing wires at great prices, and I dont see why they wouldnt ship overseas. There number is 1-800-533-3377.
The price for 15 gauge wire is $30.75 for 1/2 mile. There are also 1/4 mile spooles, and it comes in 9 gauge, 12.5 gauge, 14 gauge, and 17 gauge also. They have aluminized steel wire, for high strength and a shiny finish, as well as galvanized electric fence wire, also. "

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/products.asp?CID=2&mscssid=AMWA1WBDPNTW8K0AGAEFKWN4SC78C7R3&dept_id=588
they only have 12.5 G in 1000' spools

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:47 pm

So... all the weight of steel, all the black-crud power of aluminum. Sound like a winner to me Laughing

Owen

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:35 pm

hi
ok now that we are all on the as page and know what it is. Razz has anyone worked with it? Confused

the stuff i found is also 12 guage. It looks like aluminium. shiny! Uber

ty
tig'kat

Submissions: 99

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:32 pm

i was over at ace one day and they had a huge spool of something it sayed galvy and electric feince wire but it also had a warning on it that disturbed me it was something like this

california law warning may cause birth defects and other various disordres always wash your hands after contact.

not word for word i didnt memorize it but that was the gest of it
well i really dont want to make jewelry out of stuff that has such a warming warning on it but i also wondered if it was usual galvy or has an aditional coating on it . this subject perked my ears could it be the aluminized stuff? if not what is it . and how valad is the warning on the lable.

Submissions: 99

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:24 pm

yuck i just went back to check out the wire again and omg i have't run into so many ignorant idiotic back hill hicks in the middle of the city in a long time. and i realize that this is the reason that home depot and lowes are taking over because people there actualy treat women like equal intelegent customers. unlike ace where if a women sets foot in there you dont know what you are doing in there and dont know how anything works and dont understand how to do any thing.

the worse part was i stated to an employee that the warning lable worryed me and he said " it is only in california where there are problems" it made me laugh out loud and i looked at him and said the wire will kill me weather i am in california or any ware.

well they didnt know if it was aluminised so i got the name and i looked it up and it wasnt it was regular galvy. so i will continue to try and find some in the area.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1