Er crap... my M3's!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 8

Er crap... my M3's!
Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 12:01 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Well I dont know what the heck is going on! My wiss M 3 cutters are crapping out on me. I am cutting 5/16 16ga. glavy and they just stopped cutting. They seem to be bending the coil to the right. They will now only cut one ring at a time and you have to press really hard. Its makeing me very mad. Any ideas on how to fix this? I have only had them for a month or so.

Lee

SPQR!

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 12:34 am

swiss m3 thay have the bolt in the middle of them right Confused if so try tightening that and the ones nere the handle and on the blade thay do have a tendincey to loosen once in a wile it could be that youve done right wore them out Sad but lets hope its not that..

later days

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 1:01 am

I hope I havent woren them out. Probabily havent cut more then 1/4 mile of wire.

Lee

SPQR!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 4:23 am

Sounds like you just need to tighten them up a bit. Be kinda careful tho. It's easy to overtighten them which makes them stick when you try to reopen them after making a cut. Just another quick suggestion. Wipe down the blades every 70 rings or so. It doesn't seem like much but the little shavings build up quick and you get WAY better cuts for less effort. A little oil every now and then doesn't hurt either. Very Happy

I AM the Blind Squirrel

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 12:45 pm

I had that problem, screw tightening that top bolt. I took it out so as I could sharpen them. Then I put the bolt back in. It's not hard to get the right tight....ness? Just tinker. Won't hurt it none. But, this is if yours are having the same problem as mine did. But a good sharpening now and then should be standard maintenance in my opinion. After I did that, they cut like a dream.

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 2:01 pm

Prolly a good idea to lube it a bit too before tightening.

Owen

Posted on Sat May 24, 2003 5:02 am

Another idea is to buy another pair... just a thought

This is the best saying ever:

"If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you!"
-unknown

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sat May 24, 2003 8:36 am

I've been using the same pair of Wiss shears for the past three hauberks, and though they finally broke last night (WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES WHEN ABUSING THEM ON HEAVY GAUGE WIRE), they had cut over ninety pounds of links. The trick is not in tightening bolts, but in how you hold them. Don't tilt them to the left; it's as simple as that. I've never had to tighten mine, simply because I hold them slightly against the direction the jaws want to open.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1