New Admins, Old Admins, Etc.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 1

New Admins, Old Admins, Etc.
Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:34 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Figured I'd start this as the proper place to talk about new BOD members and such, rather than continuing to continue it from the Future of Theme Contests thread.

Kim has a few suggestions for new admins, I'll let him get to that.

I was just going through the Management page, pondering why Deirdre's on her own..

What happened to Hockywierdo, Kabaalk, and Razoxane? None have been on site for several months.

I was thinking, maybe do a role call. Actually, I just did one, based on "last seen" anyway. Some of the not-so-attendees:

childofdune 2006-01-03
Rygar 2007-01-24
HerrBGone 2006-11-24
CyberKender 2006-05-30
Cohort 2006-01-04
Rozaxane 2007-02-16
HockyWierdo55 2007-03-05
Kabaalk 2007-04-15
Dragorlad 2007-03-16
AMA Cobra 2006-09-03
Kithplana 2006-11-04
Criterion 2006-01-03

.. and a few others, but at this point we alphabetically (by position) came to Kim and Me, and apparently Kim hasn't been here since January, and I haven't been here since March, same as Deirdre. And some of those listed above I swear I've seen post recently too. Also, Mari was here in January and Bative was here in May, which is possible, but a bit suspicious. I wonder if the dates mean anything at all...

It's probably a good enough measure for those that haven't been here since 2006, but, I don't know why it's only updating periodically.

There are current 29 BOD members, though I'd say the active BOD is more like 8 of us. Maybe time to do a role call and see if we might need help more than it seems.

And while on the subject... Do we ever trim the BOD? I suppose it's a bit of a prestige thing which some would feel insulted to be removed from, and, I certainly wouldn't like the idea of shutting the door on people if they feel like coming back, but, maybe we should hammer out a policy on that?

I was thinking maybe separate BOD from Admin, so they could at least post here.. but then I couldn't really think of any situation they shouldn't be on the BOD for, if they show up and the distinction need be made. Which got me thinking, the BOD then has just become a "People who know their stuff, can be trusted, who's opinions are valued" group. Which made me think, if that's all it is, not too much difference between us and a normal member vote. For that matter, what even makes me BOD or "active", as I don't even have duties other than taking moderating anything I come across that needs it?

Long term, do we have an upper limit? What if if become 50 or 60 members with only 8 active?

It's also good to do a role call once in a while, just so we have an idea of who's still around and how many people's input we're actually waiting on for any particular issue.

Food for thoughts.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Hmmm, me thinks there is something weird with the "last seen" data...Kith just posted in M.A.I.L. Help a couple of days ago, so the 11-04-06 date is way off.

The others though I haven't seen in a while. I have no idea what happened to Kabaalk, but a couple of month absence is no real reason to panic I think; I had to take about three months off last summer.

Hockeyweirdo has been gone for ages, and Razoxane I think got busy with school, which is why Kabaalk and I got shackled to help CyberKender out with the Gallery. Shortly after that CyberKender disapeared, and I haven't seen him around really since.

Kyleck came back from his mission a bit ago and started helping out with the gallery again, but hasn't been around in about three weeks or so. He could come back, who knows?

I haven't talked to Rygar in a while, probably since January. He and I are the mods for the Trading Room, but it's slow in there generaly and I can easily handle it all by my lonesome.

Nothing to offer here really, just some info.

The only opinion I have to offer on trimming the BOD and what not is maybe we should look at it from a new members point of view: Suppose they have a problem, and they need to e-mail the appropriate mod about it, so they pick someone from the list of mods. They have no way of knowing that the mods listed as active might not in reality be around much if at all anymore, so they wait and wait and wait for a response, don't get one, get frustrated and go away. With the number of inactive mods out numbering the active number, it's a bit like buying a lotery ticket; you might get your issue handled, but most likely better luck next time.

One option might be to e-mail the inactive members and ask how they feel about being removed as BOD members so we can keep our information as up to date and accurate as possible for the membership and potential members. Odds are if they haven't been here in a year actively participating they won't really care much, if at all. Or, maybe they'll come back. Maybe some of them feel bad about neglecting their volunteer duties and are afraid to come back because they feel guilty; could be a friendly e-mail will make them feel welcome and they may be eager to get back. Who knows? Just throwing ideas out there.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:58 am

Good 'ol stealthy Drax, he flies under the radar every time.

Seriously, though, I'd say I get about 1 email a week on M.A.I.L.-related stuff (either articles, or general problems), so I can echo that having an up-to-date list of active BOD members would be good.

I see nothing terrible about emailing everybody listed on the BOD and querying how they are doing. It happens to all of us. And for some, it will be a sobering wake up call that says "yeah, it was nice, but I really should retire."

And for those no longer active, I do suggest retirement, with an appropriate page to note the appreciation. I might also suggest, like retired athletes, that if a retired BOD members chooses, he or she could become active again.

It would also be nice to verify that the last-logon is relatively correct. As a side-note, I think I saw HerrBGone relatively recently over at TRL, so I do think he's still around.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:32 am

With people emailing BOD members...

Where do they get the information to do that?

Presumably from the Management page? And possible from past experience.

We could just edit the Management page to start with "Active BOD", and list those that have duties, and then an "Inactive BOD" or a "Historic BOD", or, I forget the word I'm actually thinking of.

That might be an easy fix to trimming, if we decided not to trim.

Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:43 am

HerrBGone posted in Chat just a day or two ago, so his "last seen" info is way off as well. Weirdness.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Emeritus?

Yes, I think people are getting emails from the management page. Either that or "articles@" -- I haven't looked at the source.

Still, it would be good to get an active role call.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 8

Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:28 pm

Did someone mention my name in vain? Surprised

Yeah, that date is miles off. I?m lurking around here all the time and posting occasionally. I usually only log in to post. Being kind of a ?moderator at large? (though I have been loosing weight lately?) most of my actual ?work? around here, if you could call it that, consists of posting ?Now kids, play nice?? and with as good a bunch as we have here that isn?t needed very often.

So anyway, I?m still around.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Submissions: 93

Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:29 pm

Sadly, the way that last seen works is for the last time you logged into the main page of the site, not the board, so if you log in primarily when you go to the board, you're "under the radar"...

I know I haven't been able to work on the site for at least 6 months, but if/when we move, all this stuff can/should start to be changed...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 44

Posted on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:24 am

Yeah, I'm still here. Not as much, due to school, but still around...

As for the list-pruning, an email sounds good. Letting folk decide whether they want to leave, stay, or come back later is probably the best way to avoid hurt feelings.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 pm

i almost never get business PMs or emails.

i am away for long stretches sometimes.

i don't know the solution to this.

druid queen, mical, amadeus maxwell were nominated and seconded. each agreed to help, where they could.

should we hold a vote for them?

various admins and mods come and go. I don't think it hurts us to have them around with powers, if they aren't coming in.. we just should have a place where people can find the actives they can talk to..

haven't really thought this out.. and i'm visiting with my father so i won't now.

bye. Smile

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:38 am

I'm still around, though not as often as I'd like. Real life is not helping the online life at all...go figure Coif LoL Anyways, I'm still down with helping out in the gallery, and am planning on being a bit more organized about doing it. You'll see me here at least once a week.

As for trimming, I like the idea of contacting and removing those who don't have the time to help out, with the option always there for them to reactivate the join the BOD. A permanent list commemorating the BODers of the past also sounds good...mebbe a sticky in this forum.

On a somewhat unrelated note, could someone with the power to do so change my title from ~afk to something else? Gracias!

"It is human nature to think wisely ---
And to act in an absurd fashion."
--Anatole France

Submissions: 15

Posted on Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:00 am

come on now, i'm still here :p

i just log in about as often as Paris Hilton shows some grace and respect Wink

in actual reality, i have been in about twice a week over the past month or two, just not logged in; this is namely because school and work have taken over my life, and i have been healing from the first stages of carpel tunnel (thankfully that is near gone) and too much time at work with not enough time for knitting.

there is a bit of noteriety with being on the BoD (or perhaps infamy) however, it does get to be unwieldy after awhile.

it may be an idea to have a section dedicated to 'honored members' rathar than keeping people on the BoD who no longer attend this site.

thousands of rings, sure chance of slip 'n jab, what are we watin' for?

Submissions: 10

Posted on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:02 pm

Hey, guys. I'm still alive. Just been doing that "life" thing I heard so much about. It gets really interesting when your mode of transportation goes away. Anyway, I'm working on making a delightful comeback to the internet. Sorry I flaked for a couple months... Especially to Deirdre(who's awesome, btw). So... yeah. If you need me, I'll be telling people to include ID's and materials in their gallery posts.

Submissions: 15

Back from the dead....
Posted on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Hey folks.

I'm back..sorta. Long story short, Found out a week before Christmas 2006 the wife had a boyfriend. We seperated, working on dissolution. 2 mos. later, wife dumped boyfriend for cheating on her (snicker, chuckle, then out and out ROFLMFAO!!!) Few more monts later, we started talking, decided to reconcile, got counseling, then for the last year have been rebuilding my home/family life.
Recently picked up the pliers again and started getting my toes wet in the maille-making pool so to speak.

I do apologize for no warning or word from me for so long. At that moment in my life, M.A.I.L and maille making were on the bottom of my list of worries.

I'm still not the *machine* I used to be in the hobby/craft, but it's not dead in me, and will likely be a smaller part of my life than it used to be. Too many other things have taken the top spots in my priority list. I will start coming in here from time to time, and would still be interested in helping out Mod wise or such. But, if ya'll choose to officially remove me from admin/mod status, I completely understand. Actually, I'm surprised that my log-in still worked, let alone still be listed and have access to Mod stuff!! Very Happy Either ya'll really liked me, or forgot about me!!! LOL

Again, my apologies. Hope to reconnect with you and rejuvinate some old friendships soon!

Rygar

Rygar
http://home.roadrunner.com/~chainreaction

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

--Terry Pratchett

Posted on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Wow Rygar, I'm so sorry all that has happened to you!

Welcome back, and I think everyone here understands about real life getting in the way.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next