Euro 3D seam?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

So Dartanian's post reminded me of something I had been pondering.

I had been pondering interesting possibilities along these multidimensional lines with Jens Pind. However, with an AR that's small enough to do Jens, you can't really expand those grains outward, and I haven't done any tinkering with any larger ARs to see if I could create a construct that had a Jens Pind seam at the intersection of three sheets. Honestly, I'm not even sure if it's really possible, but I thought I'd throw that out into the mix.

I would imagine, however, that Dartanian's 3 sheet junction would somewhat resemble what I have hypothesized.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 51

Posted on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:39 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that you are thinking of 3 sheets in which they all intersect on an axis, whereas in what I was refering to, the 3 sheets intersect at a single point. I have been thinking about the original question, though, and have realizet that the inverted persian chains would work very well at making any number of sheets intersect on the axis where the chain lay. For example, Inverted Persian Box could make 2 sheets connect because there are 4 rings in every segment, so they would form rows of rings protruding from the chain where E4-1 can be attached. The same would work for an Inverted Persian with any number of rings spiralling in each segment.

Dart

It's never too early to be listening to your car while you are sittin' in Rod Ryan!

YMBAMI your dog is the only one on the block who can't swim, but he's a heck of a diver though
-Dragorlad

Submissions: 77

Posted on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:46 pm

Yea I think thats it. I still have no camera cord to submit it but that sounds right.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:19 am

It is entirely probable that I misinterpreted. I don't visualize very good until I actually try things out or see them tried out.

My fingers are crossed in hopes that you find that cord, Tesserex.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:02 am

Quote:
I'm just imagining the tail as a continuation of torso. It will just get narrower sharply, and then I only have to worry about leg attachments.

*nod*.. I tried that, but the legs actually (on mine anyway) started at the middle of the back and carried right across the side almost to the belly. So "attaching" the legs meant a huge area with no actual torso or tail to help anchor it.

Note the leg hole on the left, and how it consumes the entire torso. I think there's only 2 columns for the spine that're unclaimed.

Across the flat of the ass, (you can see on the opposite leg hole, which isn't sticking out), the pattern does appear to simply be an extension of the torso or tail. So, you may be okay there. It's towards the front and back of the legs that the split between torso and leg occurs, so your seam will arc in a hook shape from front and back.

Quote:
For the wings, unfortunately, I'm doing the last, but it shouldn't be too bad. I'll construct the pipe punching out the hole, making it wide like muscle, then attach fabric wings, and stitch them to the body.

Are you using maille for the wing fabric, or cloth or something else?

Actual maille in that style is going to be just about impossible to line up I think. It's most important that it line up on the body (and if the fabric/bone attachments along wings are uneven, that's okay), that should give you the least headache.

One cheap hack, since you're limited on time and everything, would be to not have any seam at all. Just cut your teardrop hole in the torso, and actually puncture your entire wing bone right through it a bit, and leave it. You have a frame anyway. Or, one step further, you could just do that, and then open an occasional ring on the hole and loop it through whatever it can grab onto for the pipe (or make a series of 1-1 ring inserts around the two, like a weld).

If it suits you, some designs have a billowing muscle which may be to your advantage. Like a balloon being pushed into a coffee cup and spilling over the rim, or a muffintop. If the bone gets wider and the scoops under, the actual seam will be invisible under the billowing, and you can do whatever works, ugly or not.

Quote:
My biggest problem is that I'm not using euro. I'm using persian sheet. It's quite hard to work with expansions. For the limbs I may be forced to switch but I doubt I could, with the ring sizes I have.

*nod*, using persian was a bit of a gamble eh? It'll look fantastic if you can get it done, if you can get it done. Never made persian sheet. Which version of the sheet are you using?

What's your scale by the way? How many rings long nose/tail or wide at the torso? Large pixel count is easy, but small pixel count can be easy too, because the scale simply can't accommodate the detail. There's the middle range that sucks to fall into, where, visually it looks like the detail should be there, but complexity won't allow you to get there. I forget what it's called in 3D animation, but there's something similar at play where people's minds accept low-quality detail and fill in the blanks, but reach a point where it's detailed "enough" that their brains stop filling in the blanks, and then start noticing how bad it actually is (until it's close enough to real that they never notice). In 3D animation, particularly with people, you can actually make it look worse to a human by improving the quality.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Ok back on topic: It's submitted! I didn't need a cord after all, my comp has an SD slot built right in!

See it along with my new True Persian 12-1 Brick at:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/subcat.cgi?key=new
for the descriptions.

Just pictures:

Top:

Side:

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:06 pm

friggin awesome!

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2