Regarding Oops
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 4

Regarding Oops
Posted on Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:36 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Whats the movement difference between oops and standard 4-1? looks a lot tighter but much more appealing.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:40 pm

The difference is that instead of being connected to 4 rings like 4-1 it's only connected to 3 in a staggered motion...I don't actually know about the movement patter of it, but it looks like it may be pretty flexible.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:09 pm

Here is something I just recently put in the gallery:
European 4-in-1 compared to Oops

Rings are 14g 1/4" machine cut galvanized steel rings purchased from The Ring Lord. Top is European 4-in-1, bottom is Oops, and both patches have 100 rings. As you can see, yes, it is much tighter. At a large enough AR, you probably won't have too much change in flexibility (I haven't done any larger experiments, yet). At a small AR as in the picture, the Oops patch is seriously lacking in flexibility.

Oops can be described as 4-in-1 unbalanced. In other words each ring does go through four rings (NOT 3), but in a 3 to 1 pattern rather than a 2 on each side pattern.

I'll avoid diverging off into a mini tutorial, since your question was about flexibility, but if you need help, feel free to let me know and I'll do what I can do.

Edit: [img] code changed to [url] code as per administration request.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:24 pm

Quote:
Oops can be described as 4-in-1 unbalanced. In other words each ring does go through four rings (NOT 3), but in a 3 to 1 pattern rather than a 2 on each side pattern.

Decieving...Good to know though..my eye didn't seem to catch it...But, now that I look at it, I agree with the unblanced part...

Posted on Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:36 pm

drac0 wrote:
Decieving...Good to know though..my eye didn't seem to catch it...But, now that I look at it, I agree with the unblanced part...

Yes, it is. I didn't realize quite what was going on until I was fiddling with rings trying to do a European 3-in-1 and came up with the sample in the image and searched through the weaves and found that, although done at a smaller AR, what I had was Oops.

It's a shame. I thought I had a found a new weave. Smile

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 am

Heh, it happens..Yeah, My world was blown to bits today...I know a lot of weaves...but I found out I don't know enough..MUST RESEARCH AND STUDY! Some of them i've never heard of... Sad

Posted on Wed May 16, 2007 2:33 am

On a similar note, then, what are the differences between Euro 3-1 and Oops?

Posted on Wed May 16, 2007 11:46 am

That one I'm not sure on. I haven't sat down to deal with Euro 3-1 at this point in time.

Posted on Wed May 16, 2007 7:23 pm

Give me a holler when you do! The small bit I did of Euro 3-1 a while back ended up looking a *lot* like your Oops there, if not identical (barring different rings).... Could the two be the same?

Posted on Wed May 16, 2007 7:40 pm

Well, I created my first sample of Oops while trying to figure out a Euro 3-in-1, but got to noticing that it was really a 4-in-1. One of two or three independently discovered but previously documented weaves I've done.

But, needless to say, European 3-in-1 shouldn't really look anything like Oops, but I haven't successfully tried 3-in-1 at that same AR. I'll see what I can tinker with here at work, but it won't be until I get home later this evening that I'll be able to upload a picture.

Posted on Thu May 17, 2007 2:03 am

But once again - take a close look at the pictures.... they look like the same weave, taken at different angles and made with different ARs. That's the only difference I'm seeing,....
After a second, closer look, I see that the Oops is different - must needs a better picture o.< None of the ones I'm seeing show the fourth connector very well.

Posted on Thu May 17, 2007 2:29 am

Yeah, that's my problem with many of the weave pictures. Ya can't bloody see the details!

Anyway, I've been working on a E3 patch in the same gauge that I've done my Oops, E4, and Trinity patches. European 3-in-1 does have the zig zag grain to it, similar to Oops, but it is closer relations to Trinity. You might say Trinity and European 3-in-1 are siblings. I'll try and get my E3 patch finished in the next day or two and get a comparison picture up somewhere, but I'll try and explain here, as well.

Whereas in Trinity the single ring connections all lean the same way, regardless of what row they are in, the singles in E3 alternate lean. In other words, the first row of singles will lean left, then the next row of singles will lean right, and then back again.

My curiosity now is whether E3 led to Trin, or vice versa. Or neither, for that matter. The same guy seems to have submitted both of them.

4 weave comparison.
Posted on Thu May 17, 2007 11:43 pm || Last edited by ElementalDragon on Fri May 18, 2007 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

(begin lecturing tone)

First of all, we have a comparison of 4 weaves. From left to right: European 4-in-1 (E4), Trinity, European 3-in-1 (E3), Oops. Each patch is 100 rings in 5 rows by 20 columns (look at the image on it's side). The patches were done in such a way that the grain is present along each edge. Rings are 14g 1/4" galvanized steel rings from The Ring Lord. Manufacturer's AR as listed on the website is 3.3. AR as measured of 3.207, measurements based on guidelines presented in a couple of articles in the articles section: Aspect Ratio Studies and Ring Information Collection and Classification.

As you can see, E4 and Trinity both have straight grains, although Trinity's grain is angled in relation to E4's.

Trinity and E3 both have a more textured appearance than either E4 or Oops, and both are more open weaves at this AR than Oops or even E4. Given a larger AR, the discrepancies in density would be less apparent, I would imagine.

E3 and Oops both share a zig zag grain, but, at this AR, they are noticeably different weaves. E3 is a fairly highly textured weave while Oops is an almost smooth weave, even more so than E4. At a higher AR, it might require actually counting rings to see how many go through what, but the texture difference might also be apparent, obviating the need for ring counting.

On flexibility issues, Oops is not quite as flexible as the other 3 across the grain. Based on another sample of Oops I have made, Oops is drastically less flexible with the grain compared to the other 3.

Hanging by the end, the long sides of E3 turn inwards a little bit, Trinity twists/spirals, and both E4 and Oops hang straight.

Hanging by a long edge, the loose edge curls back/up a small amount, Trinity again exhibits a few signs of twist/spiral, and E4 and Oops both still hang straight.

As comments above indicate, properties and behaviors may alter at higher ARs, so I make no guarantees about the universal accuracy of these statements. These are my observations of these 4 weaves at the AR listed at the beginning of this post.

(/end lecturing tone)

I apologize if that's more information than you really wanted to know.

Edit: Spelling correction and insertion of an omitted link.

Posted on Fri May 18, 2007 9:23 pm

Wow. Thanks! That helped muchly ^_^

I need to put my thoery hat on and start checking out AR and weave theory now. ^^;

Posted on Sun May 27, 2007 1:12 pm

You're welcome, and good luck.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next