Elf weave experience / flat chain
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0
Location: Village near the Grove of Elk in the providence of Illinois

Elf weave experience / flat chain
Posted on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:28 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm seeking the opinion of those of you who have worked with the elf weave, and more specifically elf sheet.

A friend of mine came to me and asked me to make a chain for him for the ren faire. Now this wont be a simple chain as in like a byzantine chain. He wants something wider that will lay flat.

So I was looking through the weaves and thought the elf weave would look good doubled up. As in side by side with the connecting rings like you were going to make elf sheet.

The rings I have are 18 ga 3/16" ID. So my AR is sitting at 4.1.

Has anyone attempted this before? Does that AR work or should I try to look for something else.

I've already tried the dense byzantine sheet, but it was too dense for that AR and I couldn't get the rings into place on the 3rd row.

I'm also open to suggestions for other weaves that lay flat that I can add extra width to the weave with.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" The Duke

Submissions: 29

Posted on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:02 pm

you could try the hoodoo chain/sheet

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 pm

That AR is entirely too big for hoodoo chain, it wouldn't work at all. It would be good for hoodoo sheet, but I don't know that hoodoo sheet is going to be as flat as you would like because of the way the rings lay.

Submissions: 29

Posted on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:17 pm

isnt elfsheet the same way

Submissions: 51

Posted on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:06 pm

For elfsheet, step up the AR. A very nice weave to use if you step down the AR a bit is Coyote's maille. At that certain AR you picked, I'd suggest Japanese 12-2, or maybe GSG.

Dart

It's never too early to be listening to your car while you are sittin' in Rod Ryan!

YMBAMI your dog is the only one on the block who can't swim, but he's a heck of a diver though
-Dragorlad

Submissions: 72

Posted on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:33 pm

I've made elfweave with 18ga 3/16" ID, and yes, it will work for elfsheet as well. It'll be a bit tight (though not inflexible), so you may want to step it up to 13/64" or possibly 7/32" ID. If you don't have any other ring options, what you have should work.

I'll agree with Dartanian in that jap 12-2 would look nice too.

~Mical~ Coif Smiley

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:36 am

I like elf sheet with that AR very much; yes, a little tight to work with if you are stitching up two chains, but it can be done with not too much effort, plus the added "tightness" of elf sheet at that AR holds the rings nicely in place and really shows off the beauty of the weave IMO. There is also a tutorial for making elf sheet by adding one row at a time as opposed to stitching two chains together, if you find it's too tight to weave at that AR you might try that. Here's a link to the tut on Phong's site. http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/elfsheet.html

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:00 pm

I agree that elfsheet would be a wonderful weave for that - I've only done it on a large scale and watchband-scale. The best AR I found that doesn't twist as much was the AR of the larger - about 4.8 or so... However, it must be said that the wire could have been thicker, or the rings smaller. It was still fluid, though, at that size.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:34 pm

i just recently made some elfweave out of 18g 3/16" SSteel, and its really flexible, but the acctuall id is probly like 7/32"...

flare

If I am, then death is not. If death is, then I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1