how to make a mantle
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 15

how to make a mantle
Posted on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:36 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

okay so i know that for a mantle you continue your coif downward while spacing out expansion rings to get the circular effect. the problem is, where do i put the expansion rings and how many per row?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:43 pm

Wellp, I do it when I feel that it's starting to crumple in on itself, or whe it may start...that's when I add an expansion row...But, that's just me

Posted on Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:50 pm

i see what you mean, but you can you tell that? i can understand actually putting it on and being able to tell in the front, but what about the back?

Submissions: 83

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:43 am

Well, you can weave a mantle flat. If you expand the maille at the rate necessary to make a cirlce that will lay flat, I think it will be about the right rate for a standard mantle. This way you can work on all sides of the piece at once.

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:47 am

Quote:
Well, you can weave a mantle flat. If you expand the maille at the rate necessary to make a cirlce that will lay flat, I think it will be about the right rate for a standard mantle. This way you can work on all sides of the piece at once.

I agree with that also, flat seems to be better on certain things, this might very well be one of those moments...The way I can tell when it's going to crumple is if you hold it up, and it folds in the slightest bit in an irregular fashion...it's hard to explain...maybe i'll take some pictures and show you...

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:13 am

so do you make the mantle separate of the coif and then add them together afterwards? and yes, pictures would be nice

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:12 pm

I just start connecting the first chain by the chin, and continue with the cirular motion...

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:38 pm

i know i really sound like a n00b now, but what do you mean by connect the first "chain" by the chin. do you mean going all the way down as far as the mantle is going to go or am i totally off?

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:04 pm

What I mean is the first little bit that's going to go across the chin, or, if it's chinless, just keep adding until you get down to the area where you want to make the matle, then make the connecting strip....

Submissions: 83

Posted on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:00 pm

Sure, you can make the mantle seperate and then attach it to the bottom edge of the coif. That might be the easiest way to go if you're having trouble imagining what steps you need to take. Once you have your first coif put together, I think you'll find it a lot easier to make the next one. Wink

Posted on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:28 pm

ok so i have it figured out when to add expansions to a row in general, but how many would i add per row if i needed to add any? would it be like every three-5 rings or something, depending how far down the mantle i am?

Submissions: 51

Posted on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:40 pm

As many as needed so that the outer row is always not too tight, but not too loose. It is a thing of feel, for different ARs give different results.

Dart

It's never too early to be listening to your car while you are sittin' in Rod Ryan!

YMBAMI your dog is the only one on the block who can't swim, but he's a heck of a diver though
-Dragorlad

Posted on Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:15 am

You're going to have to go by "instinct"...it's mostly about personal preference and feeling...

Submissions: 29

Posted on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:29 pm

yea, i made a vest that was to small and opend up the back and made it larger, but i still need to go back in and do some trimming on it

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:43 am

You can wad the completed hood part in the middle of the entire project. It would spare you any difficulties trying to zip the two components together from separate pieces.

The "chain" he spoke of was not vertical down the cowl from hood to hem, but around the bottom of the hood. It would be three linkrows across, a ribbon of fivelets basically. As an option, you may weave on two more linkrows (this sort of thing is typical for link AR of 4 to 5).

After that, the expansions can start. Since I weave on two linkrows at a time, this causes me to add expansions in every second linkrow. I weave them on, then go around the outermost linkrow adding expansions regularly every so many links.

I put an expansion link in every 5 links in the inner third of the cowl, every 7 links in the middle third, and every 9 in the outer third.

Others put expansion links into each row, at a rate of 4 per linkrow.

Both ways work, and surely there are plenty of others.

If your cowl lies flat on your worksurface without strained/stretched-out places nor lumps, it'll work fine. Some may prefer that the cowl lie best as a shallow cone, this being approximately how shoulders are shaped. This just takes fewer expansions inserted, and thus rather fewer links, thus a lighter coif. It's something to consider.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1