Search function issues?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 1

Search function issues?
Posted on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:03 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

First... anyone other than me having issues with the search function?

Second... as a direct result of the previously mentioned issue...:

-What methods do most of you use for precious metal maille? I'm rather hoping to avoid putting an excessive amount of money into the stainless steel shot (at least it's a one time purchase if I have to - but oh! the price! it makes me hurt!)

-Am I the only person in existence that seems to have issues with her AWG wire measuring on the calipers as something that fits no wire gauge system out there, or is there something major I'm not taking into consideration?

It's great to be back,
~D

>You also see a giant hairless polar bear who is sitting.
Ryguard drops a wooly sheepskin.
Ryguard says, "daer now yous won't be nekkids."

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:23 pm

Haven't used the search, don't know.

I've never bothered to tumble my silver. You could, but you don't need to. If you really want to tumble but want to avoid the up front cost, make a few pieces without tumbling and spend the profit on shot.

Have you measured something of known size (something small like wire) to make sure your calipers are accurate in that range? I've known some calipers that were very accurate around an inch, but were way off at wire sizes.
Also, how different is your wire from the specifies size? Keep in mind that manufacturing comes with a certain tolerance - as long as it's close to the required size, they're happy.
And of course it doesn't much matter if the wire is what it claims - just size your mandrel based on the true wire diameter.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm

You can always use dry rice to tumble with. Gives a really nice polish on softer metals in an hour or so. At a pinch I've even used dried lentils to tumble silver before. Gave results just as good as the rice.

NB you'll only want to use things like these for DRY tumbling.

Submissions: 27

Posted on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:12 pm

rice works good dry. so does sand (but be careful)

i haven't been able to use the search for about ... ever... Confused

"By the manner of their death we shall know them."

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:32 pm

If you use the search function to search the entire site, you'll have nothing but trouble. Try searching within each area for better results; i.e. try searching only articles using the search box on the front page. I haven't been able to search the forums successfuly in I don't know how long. I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say it has to do with our aging and problem ridden server. Hopefully that will be one of the things fixed when we move to the new web host.

Submissions: 51

Posted on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:26 pm

Beware about sand- it is a strong abrasive. Sand is good for harder metals like stainless, but it eats through softer metals if you don't moniter it constantly. I don't work with silver, but seeing the price at which it is currently at, i wouldn't take chances unless I knew what I was doing. And if you do use sand for anything, buy special sand or filter the sand thoroughly, the regular beach or potting sand has dust, rocks and bugs. And don't get sharp sand, get smooth sand.

The search function never works perfectly- thats a given. Try searching the site one piece at a time, and be prepared for error messages.

Dart

It's never too early to be listening to your car while you are sittin' in Rod Ryan!

YMBAMI your dog is the only one on the block who can't swim, but he's a heck of a diver though
-Dragorlad

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:35 am

My silver definetly seems to need a tumble. The rings tend to get burs from the jump ringer (I don't seem to have this problem when hand sawing). I'll try the rice, though. Worse comes to worse, I'm out a small amount of money if it doesn't work as I need... and it'll give me a good excuse to procrastinate the steel shot Very Happy

As for the calipers, they measure perfectly on my stones (6-10mm). These are the kind of results I'm getting on the wire by size, my measurement, the difference, and the supplier (for reference, I'm using the table on http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys436/spring06/Lecture_Notes/P436_Supp_HO_01/American_Wire_Gauge.pdf):

16 AWG: 1.15 mm, .14 off (CaldronCrafts)
18 AWG: 1.1 mm, .08 off (CaldronCrafts)
22 AWG: .35 mm, .3 off (CaldronCrafts)
22 AWG: .325 mm, .32 off (JSRitter)
24 AWG: .25 mm, .26 off (JSRitter)

So while some of the difference isn't bad... the 24 and the 22 are enough to drive me batty.

~D

>You also see a giant hairless polar bear who is sitting.
Ryguard drops a wooly sheepskin.
Ryguard says, "daer now yous won't be nekkids."

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1