G'd Question :: What do we have in common?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:51 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

- Would you consider yourself "eccentric"? No, but I've been told I'm a bit crazy to deal with all these tiny rings. Do others?
- Do you find yourself coming up with answers for things your friends never thought of? Sometimes
- Other than chain maile and SCA-related things, do you have any "odd" hobbies (throwing knives, shooting, magic, etc) None that I can think of
- What kind of music do you like to listen to while mailleing - if at all? Jazz
- Did you ever obsess over the game "Tetris"? I used to love stealing... I mean.... borrowing my sons gameboy and playing it for hours on end late at nite.
- What is the strangest project you ever undertook - other than maille, of course Smile Making a paper dress for a photographer friend

Check out www.orisinal.com for some different games on the net. I hope thats the right link... for I have it saved at work.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:22 am

childofdune,

Yes, I did. I am still working on it as a matter of fact. :-)

Peace,

Matt

'Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
- Joseph Carey Merrick, "The Elephant Man"

Submissions: 2

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:06 am

- Would you consider yourself "eccentric"? Slightly, depending on what mood I'm in. I am unusual, yes and many people I know single me out as a weirdo.
- Do you find yourself coming up with answers for things your friends never thought of? Not that I can remember but I haven't thought about it much.
- Other than chain maile and SCA-related things, do you have any "odd" hobbies (throwing knives, shooting, magic, etc) I'm an archer, but it's not that weird.
- What kind of music do you like to listen to while mailleing - if at all? Industiral or alternative.
- Did you ever obsess over the game "Tetris"? No.
- What is the strangest project you ever undertook - other than maille, of course? I haven't done that many outstanding things yet...

Submissions: 59

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:50 am

I suppose I should answer some of my questions. Smile I took an eccentricity test once, and scored 13 out of 15. It was a legitimate scientific test, too, so I'm kinda relying on the answers there. Smile

Coming up with answers my friends would never expect? Example: I got home from work once to find out that several people were waiting for me. Someone showed up with a bottle of wine, and we had no wine opener. They asked me to get it open without breaking the bottle. After a minute of thought, I took a wallhook that had an inch of threading on it. I screwed it into the top of the bottle and used the hook to pull out the cork.

I do this kind of thing all the time. Smile

Hobbies: Rune casting, knife throwing, Macintosh computers, blowgunning, and I have a wall filled with knives and swords and sharp pointy things. Smile I just made a new spear, in fact. I placed fifth in the state of NJ in riflery, in three divisions, and I'm a crack shot with any rifle, shotgun, pistol, and bow (as long as the bow is lefty). I suppose I would count herbalism as "different", but not odd - I have a good friend in an Arizona, going for his doctorate in oriental medicine.

It's not that I obsessed over Tetris, so much that it started to take over my mind - I started to see falling patterns in my SLEEP. If anyone has a PlayStation, find the game, The Next Tetris. It's the b est of all of them.

Self-Runes are something of a creation by a man named Ralph Blum. His runic examinations are not nearly scholarly, but he mentions at one point that we are made of Body, Mind, and Spirit - which Runes best describe those aspects of yourself? For me, that's Jera, Sowelu, and Laguz - crudely translated, Patience, Compassion, and Humor.

A runeset out of maille? The biggest drawback would be the fact that they were metal - it's kinda hard to make a good "feeling" (I don't mean touch, I mean sensing them) set out of metal. Of course, the most effective Runes are the ones we make ourselves, and a set of Runes made of micromaille, with colored rings making the individual glyphs....I would use blackened rings with silver rings forming the Runes....it would be very interesting. I'd like to see someone do that. It would have to be a very dense pattern.

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:08 am

[quote="RunVitki"]It would have to be a very dense pattern.[/quote]
Yes, like pixels. Micromaille would be like a tv screen, and normal maille would be like a tamagochi.

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:34 am

RunVitki,

You are now, officially, one of my new favorite bipedal creatures. :-) It is good to meet a fellow Mac user. I guess the slogan is true...we think different. :-)

Serpentine,

GAH! Tamagochi! NO!

Peace,

Matt

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:46 am

I'm sorry, so so sorry, but it was all I could think of at the time... but you got the meaning.
who'da thought that dpi and resolution could relate directly to maille?

Submissions: 12

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:00 pm

I actually have a tomagotchi (sp?) so hey there back off! (hehe)

It doesn't matter what it says on your tombstone, having one means your dead.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:23 pm

I maille because like most of you it's oddly relaxing. Smile and the first time i saw chainmaille i was addicted. as far as disorders go i'm bi-polar and i suffer (more like enjoy) from insomnia. But what mailler doesn't have insomnia?! Razz

Ak

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:02 pm

I was siching the net for some patters for my tillting armor when i cam on a page for chainmaille and since then i cant stop working on it (i never found the pattern i was looking for) Smile

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:52 pm

AMA Cobra wrote:
RunVitki,
You are now, officially, one of my new favorite bipedal creatures. Smile It is good to meet a fellow Mac user. I guess the slogan is true...we think different. Smile

Much abliged. Smile Though I'm grammar-bound to point out that we think differentLY, the fact that we do so, though, is undeniable. Smile

I guess what I'm trying to understand here is this: I'm willing to bet that in at least 95% of the cases of the people that come here, they are the only people they know (in real life, not people they met here) that do chain maile. What is it that we share that brought us to this? The fact that it's obscure, fascinating, somewhat historical, intricate, and mind-boggling to anyone that doesn't know how to do it? Well, what else do we share? I juggle, I shoot, I use Macs, I use Runes, I'm nearly infinitely creative....anyone else?

By the way, feel free to envy me, AMA Cobra - I have a 10G iPod. Uber

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:22 pm

RunVitki,

That is what I get for directly quoting the advertising slogan. Smile

You are pretty close to correct about the percentage. I was part of that 95% until last week. I have just acquired an "apprentice."

Ah...to own an iPod... *Stares off in the distance, with glazed over eyes*

Peace,

Matt

Submissions: 82

Posted on Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:11 am

I must also agree whole heartily. Maille is definitly relaxing/soothing/aiding for psychological disorders. I Had clinical depression for for 3 years, I didnt realize it till a bit back, but once i started weaving, my progress got better and better. My depression had led pretty far, and it was tough to get out of it. But i will argue to any extreme that maille will soothe any mind, It gives us time to think things over, it also gets our creative side out.

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Posted on Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:56 am

I haven't been clinically tested or whatnot, but I took an online test (one approved by someone I know who works in a psych ward), and as it turns out, I'm schizoid - kinda like multiple personalities, or a precursor to it.

I don't know if chain maille helps me work through my mental issues, but it seem to simultaneously relax me and stimulate my mind's creative resources.

Posted on Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:29 am

RunVitki,

Do you happen to recall the URL for that test?

Peace,

Matt

Jump to: