New Celtic Visions variants
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 30

New Celtic Visions variants
Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:27 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I just submitted three new variants of Celtic Visions to the weave list, which I think really illustrate how incredibly versatile a weave this is. Check it out:

Celtic Rose Sheet, Hexagonal Tesselation
Celtic Rose Sheet, Pentagonal Tesselation
Celtic Strip

- Mike Powell
<a href="http://spiritofiron.com">Spirit of Iron</a> custom chainmail

Submissions: 14

Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:11 am

I was going to create a thread simply for the purpose of saying those weaves are amazing! But now I don't have to, I can say it here. Those weaves are amazing! That ball is just incredible, I saw it and I'm pretty sure my jaw literally dropped, I was to busy staring at it to pay any attention to my jaw! All of them are just so intricate and wow just plain wow, I think I love you! (in a purely platonic way as the brilliant inventor of those weaves) A few questions, Is the ball hollow? Do you mind if I try to make one myself? (possibly sell them if they aren't incredibly difficult to make/are they hard to make?) Are you going to post a tutorial by any chance?

Submissions: 582

Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:05 pm

Yeah, I'll second that. Those weaves are incredible! And very nice use of colour. I can't wait to try them out.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:04 pm

Good googly moogly, those are beautiful! I can't wait to get done with my holiday orders now and play with those. Nice work!

Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:11 pm

Thanks guys. I love recieving compliments on my work. It's half the reason I do it, I think. Smile

Demosthenes: You can absolutely try to duplicate it. If I wanted to keep it to myself, I wouldn't post it here Smile.

And yes, the ball is hollow. I actually made it because I saw a rigid chainmail ball that somebody else had (they had apparently commissioned it from a mailler at the Northern California Renfaire, but I don't know the artisan), which was made by a series of layers of coif tops, so it was completely solid all the way through. So, I wanted to see if I could make one that was just as rigid, but hollow. I'd say I succeeded, cause mine is actually MORE rigid.

If you want to sell them, that's cool. I rather doubt we'll ever come into competition. Commercial maillers are relatively few and far between, so I'm really not worried about competition. I only have the one, and it goes for $100. It's not fast nor easy to make. As you might expect, the first half goes pretty quick and easy, but the second half, when you have to close the circle, starts getting really hard. When I first completed it, I had a nice solid sphere, and started showing it around, and then when I looked closer I realized I had left out the center connectors on the entire last pentagon. It held it's shape just fine without them, but that still wouldn't do. I had to disassemble a chunk of it to get those in.

I wasn't really planning a tutorial, but looking at the two basic Celtic Visions tutorial, I think I'll make one of my own. I make so much Celtic Visions, I've developed my own technique, which is a bit different from what either of those tutorials describe. Once you're using that technique for assembling the Celtic Visions units, then expanding it to celtic roses, and celtic rose sheet, is trivial.

In brief: I start in the same way, connecting two of the center row flat rings by one of the lateral connector rings. Then, I attach one of the vertical connectors to each of those flat rings, and then put two of the top/bottom rings through the vertical connectors. I then fold up these new rings, so they lay on opposite sides of the original two rings, and put the last two vertical connectors through. Voila, one unit of celtic visions.

When doing celtic roses, I vary it up slightly, by starting with the center ring. I put the appropriate number of vertical connectors through it (10 for a pentagon, 12 for a hexagon), and then start attaching the center row flat rings, each connected to it's neighbors with a lateral connector. Then I attach the top/bottom row rings, and finally the last vertical connectors.

For expanding to celtic rose sheet, you just add a new center ring on one of the outside edges, and build a new rose off that by the same technique.

For the pentagonal ball, you can keep up that technique until you get to the top. This is where it gets hard. Get to the point where you have all the outside vertical connectors in place for the last rose. Then, attach all of the bottom row rings. Then, attach the center row rings, connected by the lateral connectors (that being the step I forgot on my first time assembling one of these). Then attach the top row rings. Now, pre-close the last central ring, and start putting in the final vertical connectors, looping through the central ring as you do so.

- Mike Powell

Submissions: 1

Deadline will have to wait.
Posted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:44 pm || Last edited by oNyX on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Take a break from Tiffany and try Celt Strap.
Mabey I can work it into my guitar strap near
the ends.. I need transition over to straplocks
at some point anyways...

Drill 12 holes around the edge of a straplock
washer perhaps??? Or captive it somehow...

Dunlop style straplocks.

Celtic strap sheet
Posted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:48 pm

Just realized you can easily make continuous sheet of celt strap.
Reversing the direction of expansions each row....

Which is it anyway, strip or strap?
You call it "strip" yet named the photo "strap".

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:31 pm

Wow. You are one very talented guy. These varients are absolutely jaw dropping. Your work & style never cease to amaze!
Smile

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 am

Oh, that's a really interesting observation, Onyx. Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.

And it's intended to be Celtic Strap. I must have typoed in the forum message. Just so long as it's entered into the database properly, though, I'm happy.

- Mike Powell

My lame first attempt at strapsheet
Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:04 am

This is what happens when you don't use the right ring sizes.
18g, whatever AR I had allready cut. Some king'd to thicken
up the empty space... Sure you could post a better example.

Or Hybrid with Celtic Diamond (is that right?), reversing the
weave direction on every 3rd row. Instead of every 2nd...

You could go nuts with this weave family...
But seriously, I got to get back to my Tiffany project.

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:08 am

Very nice. I'll give that a try soon, once I'm past the Christmas rush.

And yes, Celtic Visions is an incredibly versatile family... Ridiculously versatile for a weave so ornate. When you start considering a basic celtic visions unit, and consider all the different ways you can connect and tesselate it, it's quite impressive. I'm well aware that I've barely scratched the surface here, and I'd love to see more people exploring the possibilities of Celtic Visions.

- Mike Powell

Submissions: 74

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:33 pm

Yup yup you said it and i had to try too...lol i made a pice from 16g 5/32 16 1/4 and 18g 3/16 all SS it started to stiffen after the 5th iteration thou. so i stoped there. Looks interesting thou..might have to make a belt or somthing out of it (2c)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 74

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:35 pm

Im going to attemt to make the Ball tonight, hope fully i can see the correct pattern in it.

Vary nice Variants..be fun trying them. If you need som TUTs made let me know Wink

Edit: I was thinking You have it at only 2 incrtions on your sphere all you would have todo is toss a few hexigonal iterations into the ball and you could go for 4 to 6 iterations ezaly, though i wonder if it would still be solid?

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 34

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:19 pm

All I can man, is Surprised Surprised Surprised WOW Surprised Surprised Surprised

Personally, I give a month until we see Dr. T having a shirt made from the Hexagonal Tesselation Celtic Rose Sheet Razz Laughing

David

David Stous
Chief Maille Smith
Wolf's Den Armoury
St. Albans, Vermont
http://www.wolfsdenarmoury.com

Submissions: 14

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:44 pm

MaxumX wrote:
Vary nice Variants..be fun trying them. If you need som TUTs made let me know Wink

Yes please! I really want to make the ball! I think I can do it without a tut, but it would be so much easier with!
Quote:
Personally, I give a month until we see Dr. T having a shirt made from the Hexagonal Tesselation Celtic Rose Sheet

Fingers Crossed! I would love to see that.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next