Why do I do this
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 39

Why do I do this
Posted on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:57 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I make mail. I don?t make little things like jewelry and ornaments, I make big things like shirts and coifs. I don?t sell what I make. I rarely wear my finished products. I haven?t been to an SCA event in more than eight years. My last ren fair was more than 13 years ago. I really don?t do anything with my finished products. They just sit in a pile on the floor. I now have three shirts, four or five coifs, one mail covered hockey glove, and a few assorted small pieces. At any given time I have at least two or three works in progress. I am now working on my fourth shirt and fifth shirts. Some days I work on one, other days I feel like working on the other. I recently found part of a coif that I started but never finished. I don?t remember making it and I don?t know why I left it unfinished. One day I?ll decide to resume work on it. Or maybe I?ll forget that I have it and start a new coif from scratch. I have many small pieces of mail, ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand rings, around my apartment. Were they meant to be something, or were they simply made out of boredom and extra rings? Does it matter? My fingers are calloused and sore. I tell myself that the metal dust I inhale, ingest, and grind into my skin is not harmful. I hope I?m right about that. When I tell people what I do for a hobby they look at me funny. But who am I hurting? I enjoy what I do. I find weaving rings together to be a very soothing activity. And I like having all my finished pieces even if I don?t do much with them. Occasionally I?ll put on a shirt or coif and stare at myself in the mirror. I tell myself that I can get some good exercise by wearing a shirt and running up and down the stairs, but I never do it. Maybe I?ll do it tomorrow. Nah, I won?t. But I will spend an hour or two after work making more rings. And while making mail can be frustrating at times, and while I have no use for the stuff, I think I?ll continue to do it. I had a bad day today and I just needed to vent a bit. I thought I might find an understanding audience here. Thank you for your time. I feel much better now.

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
-Ronald Reagan

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:13 am

A mailler's life for me!

Siege

John Lennon once sang a song where he imagined a world with no religion at all, and how all the people would be living life in peace, which sounds like a pretty terrific philosophy to follow - but then again, John Lennon also sang a song about how he was an eggman and a walrus goo goo g'joob, so i'm not sure he was always 100 per cent reliable.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:39 am

Maybe you should sell some stuff, maybe you should have a go at jewellery and sell it???
Like you say 'does it matter?', I don't think so. I would do it even if I never sold anything (I do sell jewellery). I have never sold any armour (at least not to someone who would use it as armour) but I still make it!
Yeah a maillers life for me too! Coif Cool Smiley

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 0
Location: Village near the Grove of Elk in the providence of Illinois

Posted on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:40 pm

I hear what you're saying.

If you have so much armor, why not display it?

Whip up a few display stands and proudly display your accomplishments.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" The Duke

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:15 am

wow another fellow MN mailler, but i still feel lonely, lol...

ya display it, im almost done with my 1st shirt and i feel happy... even though its taken on and off over 10 monthes Very Happy

AAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGG
a maillers/pirates life for me!
flare

If I am, then death is not. If death is, then I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:42 am

Maybe you could send a shirt to a newbie mailler so that he can actually see what one looks like so he can try and make one of his own Wink

--Zeustopher

Submissions: 55

Posted on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:14 pm

I have sold stuff and gave away even more..... people have told me that I could make some money.... so what.....I do it because I like it, it is calming, keeps me busy, and is just cool... Idol hand devils playgound haha

Long talks with the dial tone...... Silverstein. Aphrodisiac jacket.... lobster telephone?.... The Cult. All I wanted was a PepsI..... Suicidal Tendencies. I want to be a cowboy..... The Vandals

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:36 am

Sounds like you have full blown chainmaille addiction. Just roll with it. If chainmailling is making you short-tempered, anxious, etc, try making smaller items. I would say stop mailling, but that would be a sin. Mabye try taking the edge of with some blacksmithing? (Start with small things, nails, roses, shuriken, etc.)

This may sound kind of corny but its my proffesional advice: whatever you do make sure you have fun doing it. Very Happy

Pack of gum? Triple bag it!
-
www.chainmail.com

Submissions: 10

Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:22 am

"If I had a tumor, I'd named it Maille. Maille...the little scratch on the roof of your mouth that would heal if only you could stop tonguing it, but you can't."

"I say never complete projects. I say stop being perfectionists. I say let projects evolve and let the chips fall where they may. But that's me, I could be wrong, maybe it's a terrible tragedy."

Yeah... I'm sorry... synapses and all...

Submissions: 34

Posted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:01 pm

I agree...go with it. If you ever get bored with all the shirts, *go* to a Ren Faire! You could make some decent coin out of four or five shirts and all those coifs.

Or if you don't feel like going to a ren faire, you could always give them to me for Xmas! Very Happy

As for me, I maille simply because to *not* maille would be unthinkable.

David

David Stous
Chief Maille Smith
Wolf's Den Armoury
St. Albans, Vermont
http://www.wolfsdenarmoury.com

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Display them indeed, if you don't have room to display them the go to you local museum or wutnot, and they will prbably jump on it, as they don't often get the chance to have some maille haning in there displays.

A local Museum here in michigain is displaying 5 of my rivited ones and 2 of someone elses that they dont have marked so i can't contact them..grrr They have offerd to buy them a few times now, but have alwasy offerd to little for them. so if they offer to by them from you make sure you look at there offer closely.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 33

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:49 pm

display them? why not...
but basically, a man gotta do what a man gotta do.

Maille Code {Maille code V1.0 T6.2 R5.1 Fhp5.1 Mfe.s Wh Cbsw G2/0,5 I12,5/1,5 Pd Dacdjsw S04}
http://www.excirculum.2u.se

Yes,I´m Swedish. Only a very small percentage of our women are called Inga and we don´t have wild polar bears.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1