horse bridle...and where can you buy steel spikes in NH?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 1

horse bridle...and where can you buy steel spikes in NH?
Posted on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

what i need is advice and you people are good with that stuff. has anyone ever made a maille bridle for a horse before. i think i may have seen a thread about this before
(maybe im the one that started it, i dont remember Rolling Eyes )
but anyways, what weave would work best for the straps?
this could be for one of two horses, the both have pretty short fur and they are not that fuzzy.

this thing needs to look mean, i hope its for the smaller of the two horses, cuz looks crazy. here are my ideas to make it look mean:
1. put a web made of smaller rings between some of the straps like a spider web. what weave would look good for this part?

2. put spikes or thorns on it. i have a problem with that though.
where do you get spikes like that? a craft store maybe?

3.its a black pony with a few white spots, what color would look best? he has a big white spot down the center of his face so i dont want to use silver if i can help it (it would blend in too much)

i mostly want to know where to get spikes and what weave to make the straps out of.

so thats about it, i have no rush on this project. i think this is one of those things that will be more work to plan and measure than it will be to make.
i wold like to hear your ideas on this thing. im sure other people have done it, and i would be really happy if i could get pictures of this before i start.

thanks--alden--

oh and 2 more things, if you could not tell, i dont know much about horses.
and the other thing, if someone finds that i have already started a thread about this they can come up here and slap me...i really forgot if i did or not.

i could have made this post much shorter and simpler but how much fun would it be to make your life easy?

edit---i found the spikes. yay! i still need help with the rest though---

Submissions: 34

Posted on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:22 pm

Well, it really depends on the *size* of the horse and whether or not it's to be a functional bridle/halter or if it's to be decorative, worn over a commercial leather or nylon bridle/halter.

I made one a couple of months ago for a miniature horse (shown below). Because Monkey (registered name: Big Man on Campus) is a mini and not *really* strong, like a full sized horse would be, I opted for 16g SWG 1/4" stainless (and black stainless) for anything that would be strength-bearing.

If it is to be a decorative piece (as described above), go nuts! Use Anodized aluminum in any color that would look good!

Hope this helps,
David

David Stous
Chief Maille Smith
Wolf's Den Armoury
St. Albans, Vermont
http://www.wolfsdenarmoury.com

Submissions: 34

Posted on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Well, it really depends on the *size* of the horse and whether or not it's to be a functional bridle/halter or if it's to be decorative, worn over a commercial leather or nylon bridle/halter.

I made one a couple of months ago for a miniature horse (shown below). Because Monkey (registered name: Big Man on Campus) is a mini and not *really* strong, like a full sized horse would be, I opted for 16g SWG 1/4" stainless (and black stainless) for anything that would be strength-bearing.

If it is to be a decorative piece (as described above), go nuts! Use Anodized aluminum in any color that would look good!

Hope this helps,
David

David Stous
Chief Maille Smith
Wolf's Den Armoury
St. Albans, Vermont
http://www.wolfsdenarmoury.com

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:38 pm

Hmmm... Spikey ...

Elemental Dragon made a very unique bracelet out of screw eyes that gave it a very "sharp" look. Quite ingenious. There are pics on the gallery discussion page.

There is also a spikey bracelet in the gallery made by Cipher. This definitely has the look you are going for.

(I could post links but too brain dead to figure it out at the moment)

I think the second one may be wiser as the screw eyes are very sharp and a horse could injure itself (they never listen when you tell them to be careful). You may want to be sure that the spikes are not going to injure other horses if they will be anywhere nearby.

You may want to ask Cipher where you can get spikes like that.

Just my two pennies

Oh, No tears please . . . It's a waste of good suffering. - DB

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:16 pm

http://angryyoungandpoor.com/store/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=308 for spikes

-matt

Matt Athayde

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1