necklace
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 8

necklace
Posted on Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:25 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

hey everyone. i havn't made maille for a while(school's killing me), but the next thing i want to make is a necklace, with really small Ti or SS rings.
but the question is... to be or not to be? and the more relevent question is... what weave should i use?
i've seen some amazing 22g 1/8" FP in the gallery, but(even when its that small) i'm not sure i like the roundness of it, so i was thinking HP 4-1.

opinions/suggestions?

Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:59 am

Fullpersian is real beautiful in oretty much any size that works. I guess for a flat one, Hp4-1 isn't really rivalled though.mabye a few other mor intricate weaves, but hp4-2 would have a real .... i dunno it'd be nicer.

_-xXRedxDragonXx-_

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:35 pm

hp 4-1 would work...but i dont like it with rings that small. it looks kinda like a curb-chain and less like maille.

oh, and why is school killing you? its just another place to work on your maille.

--alden--

Posted on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:31 am

yea, FP would be amazing, but i've got some 20g 5/32" that i've been making rings with, so i'm going to use them, making HP4-1.

yea it can look like curb chain, & i wouldn't do it in 1/8", but i'm not going for industrial bling. i think 5/32 will be perfectly intricate w/o screaming "hey look i'm wearing chainmaille that i made!"

ps. yes school's a place for maille, but with 2 choirs, 2 sports, & never under a 4.0 gpa, there's never any time.

Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:38 am

ahhh, yes...the people that really care about school.
all you have to do is enough to pass, in my eyes
("in my eyes" i like that song...sorry random)

_christoff_, that hat you have in your picture has rubber rings right? does that keep it tight to your head? i made a hat like that, but it was all Al and it likes to fall off my head because its not tight enough. if they work maybe i will do that next time.

this was a really off topic reply. sorry.

Posted on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:48 am

alex-
yea, the minimum would be so blissfully easy, but it would also be easy for my parents to send me to public school, & to go to a community college on my way to a very dull future. ppl say all this work'll pay off someday, & i take the chance.
speaking of which, i should be studying chemistry. but i'd much rather talk to maillers. the hat did use neoprene on the rim & fit quite well. but now its the top of a coif. too bad, there are so many fewer occasions to wear a coif.
haha does it sound like i find staying on topic important? i decided on a necklace & that's all i wanted, so as far as i care this thread no longer has a topic.

Posted on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:52 am

Ah yes, school is taking over my life too. The second someone mentioned neoprene, I thought of my physics class. Then again, when my physics teacher started talking about neoprene, I thought about maille. Coif Smiley It's the end of the trimester for us, so all the teachers are cramming in tests and papers so it's a bit overwhelming. Actually right now I should be either analyzing a spanish poem or studying for my history in-class-essay.

On topic, I am a personal fan of FP, HP4-1, and JPL. All of them make beautiful jewelry with small rings, but JPL is a bit finickey with AR so be careful.

"You're out of your mind."
"That's between me and my mind."

Posted on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:56 pm

I Agree that FP and HP are nice weaves but i prefer the spiral weaves for necklaces, particularly inverted spiral because it looks really nice with a small ring size.

Many people think you must discover yourself in life, there is no need for that. Your life is what you create it to be.

Posted on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:27 pm

Late getting in on this thread, but I recently discovered the "Flat Full Persian" which is really cool looking and fun to make. Exactly like it sounds, it has a strong resemblance to FP6-1 but sits a bit flatter.

tutorial: http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=13099

Posted on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:06 am

Just wondering, what AR does it need? 'cause I might make some.

tango los ablelos!?! es uno chipucabra!?! SI!!! porque tango nessicito uno monmento!
Wenn ist das Nurnstuck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Feierhund das oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Posted on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:32 pm

Surprised that's a nice 1. i'll have to try it soon. the pic looks between 6 & 6.5 AR, but i'm no expert.
i've already made my necklace(HP4-1 20g 5/32") and its exactly what i wanted; the point where people will compliment it without knowing i made it, and be all the more impressed when they find i did.
hopefully i'll get a pic up this weekend.

Submissions: 51

Posted on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:13 pm

Flat full persian uses rings of an AR around 5.3, and good ringsizes are 16g 5/16 (in BA) and 19g 3/16 (in SS steel). I name the materials because for the best AR, springback matters. For example, those two ring sizes in copper won't work, fo copper has little spirngback.

Dart

It's never too early to be listening to your car while you are sittin' in Rod Ryan!

YMBAMI your dog is the only one on the block who can't swim, but he's a heck of a diver though
-Dragorlad

Posted on Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:20 pm

thanks

tango los ablelos!?! es uno chipucabra!?! SI!!! porque tango nessicito uno monmento!
Wenn ist das Nurnstuck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Feierhund das oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1