0%  [ 0 ]
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Submissions: 0

Most Used AR?
Posted on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:26 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was just wondering, which AR do you use the most? Or what AR you think is the most valuable. I'm just trying to guage what the norm is because I'm a newbie and want to start using multiple ARs.

To start us off, I only have access to 16g(1.6mm) 3/8in(6.35mm) rings, for an AR of around 6.

tango los ablelos!?! es uno chipucabra!?! SI!!! porque tango nessicito uno monmento!
Wenn ist das Nurnstuck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Feierhund das oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Submissions: 88

Posted on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:04 am

I'm a huge fan of dense weaves, so I voted 3.5...I would have done <3 if I thought it were practical for anything but Jen's Pind...

Yeah, my favorite ring sizes right now are 20 ga 3/32" and 16 ga 3/16". Very Happy I'm making a shirt (E4:1) for a doll in the 3/16", it's bright Al, absolutely a gorgeous weave. Needlenose Pliers

Holy cow, I just pulled out a calculator, 20 ga 3/32" IS less than 3.0 AR. Well golly, I had no idea...

Submissions: 14

Posted on Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:24 am

It ultimately depends on what weave, 3 would make a really bad Full persian chain Razz I assumed you meant E4in1 so I put 4 because thats what a 16ga(.063") 1/4" ring is and thats what I am using for my shirt. Its not my prefered AR though, cause I like tight dense weaves as well. But a dense weave isn't nessacarily practical for a full size shirt, I would love to make a 16ga 3/16" shirt, but expansions and contractions would be difficult and it would take longer than a 1/4" one. For jewelery though, the tighter the better!

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:03 am

Like the others said, it mostly depends on what you're making. That said I voted 5 since a larger AR allows you to make way more weaves. Yes jewellery usually looks better with a tight AR but if it's too tight to make it in the first place then you're not much better off. The only weave I can think of off hand which specifically requires a small AR is jens pind. Also weaves with 2 ring sizes need it but the one with a 5 AR can be the smaller one. Rings with a larger AR tend to be weakish too. If possible, get as many mandrel sizes as you can. You can always start with a few and only get more if you need them. At minimum I would suggest 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8.
Again, it depends alot on what you plan to make. If you want fine jewellery, you'll need more smaller ones but for armour, the small differences between mandrel sizes aren't required so much.

Siege

John Lennon once sang a song where he imagined a world with no religion at all, and how all the people would be living life in peace, which sounds like a pretty terrific philosophy to follow - but then again, John Lennon also sang a song about how he was an eggman and a walrus goo goo g'joob, so i'm not sure he was always 100 per cent reliable.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:50 am

I voted 3.5, but really I use way more AR's than that. I'm really fond of making weaves that require two rings sizes so that throws that theory out the window. Generally though if I'm making a single ring size weave I like that tight. That said ... It really does depend on the weave, what works and how you want it to look.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:53 pm

Yay! I just got two mandrels. now in addition to my 3/8s I also have a 1/4 and 5/16. Not only that but I also got 18g(1.2mm) galvy, 14g galvy, and 16g brass and copper.

tango los ablelos!?! es uno chipucabra!?! SI!!! porque tango nessicito uno monmento!
Wenn ist das Nurnstuck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Feierhund das oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1