Basket Weaving
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Basket Weaving
Posted on Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was thinking (bad way to start). Can a basket be made using 4-1 triangular expantion? Becuase you could make say, six triangles then add on an extra eight inches straight and stitch up the sides. Wouldn't that make a standing basket it it was done to the right AR?

tango los ablelos!?! es uno chipucabra!?! SI!!! porque tango nessicito uno monmento!
Wenn ist das Nurnstuck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Feierhund das oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Submissions: 582

Posted on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:29 am

I've used the European 4 in 1 triangular expansions on basket 10 for the bottom. I've never personally used European 4 in 1 for basket sides, but plan to one day. I don't know of anyone else who has.

Definitely a tight AR though, like using 3/16" ID, .063 (which I do a lot of inlay work out of). You can take a piece of it and roll it up and if you connect two of the rows together (just like I do when I go around a rod that I would use for hanging an inlay), then you can push that piece of maille into a circle that would be stable enough for basket sides, as long as it's not too long.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:28 pm

This is what I had in mind:

Basically, there are nine rows of European 4 in 1 with 3/16", .063 rings, and the next row is that of 11/64", .048 stainless steel rings. That row connects the edge back onto itself, kinda like roundmaille, but with more rows.

3/16" rings would work too, 11/64" is an odd size that not everyone has.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:02 pm

and i thought a 5/32 was hard to find... acctually there ius not a place within 100+ miles that carrys 5/32" barstock... (grumbles and kicks a rock, then limps off swearing about his suddenly pained foot)

flare

If I am, then death is not. If death is, then I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:43 am

hhhmmm...
This has me thinking...
To combat the side strength issue, you could make a frame out of CIR or RIR and then let the 4-1 drape down. With the supports at each point of the expansion...
interesting (strokes white cat with diamond collar)

tango los ablelos!?! es uno chipucabra!?! SI!!! porque tango nessicito uno monmento!
Wenn ist das Nurnstuck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Feierhund das oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Posted on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:48 pm

That is a definite possibility. The CIR weave is extremely rigid, and excellent for most any chainmail sculptural applications, baskets included. This is a technique Chuck Doyle used on his basket (with stunning results): http://www.wiretheskiesblue.com/chainmail.htm

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1