varnish
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 4

varnish
Posted on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:59 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

will a spray on varnish stop copper from tarnishing?

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:54 pm

I am not an expert, but I do recall reading somewhere that varnish will indeed stop copper from tarnishing. Try a test piece to be sure, and use several light coats instead of one thick coat.

Posted on Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:06 am

oh, this is good. I'd hate to get a bad rep when I start selling cos my copper turned people's wrists and necks green Razz

Posted on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:12 am

Like I said, try it on a test piece to be sure, I'm not sure if the varnish will flake off over time. Lacquer may also work, but you must consult with greater minds than mine alone to be sure Razz
Of course, some people like the color of tarnished copper, maybe you could even control the color using different patinas, then coat with varnish or lacquer for an even more colorful product line.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:25 am

normaly they use laquer on metals to keep them from tarnishing, ive seen some nice old brass paintball guns laquered and they are sooOOOOOoOOOooOOOoo sexy and shiny
-matt

Matt Athayde

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Posted on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:28 am

I just looked this up in the Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight and he also suggests lacquer. It says that clear nail polish thinned down is a reasonable substitue, and that with heavy wear, it can chip away. Varnish is not mentioned though.

Posted on Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:32 am

The only problem with that is Anything you spray on will eventually wear off.. and with chain mail it wears off faster with the rings moving aginst themselves. One thing I'd suggest is to offer a "Cleaning and Care" note telling your customer that it is a good Idea to strip and re spray it about once a year or so.. just a suggestion there.. :: shrug ::

Posted on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:07 pm

If it's something like a piece of jewelry, you'd need to let the buyer know it was varnished/laquered. There are lots of people out there who could be sensitive to the ingredients and would break out in a rash when wearing the item. (I speak as one of those people.)

If it wasn't a piece of jewelry or at least something that wouldn't normally come in contact with skin, that would be less of an issue. Still, the buyer needs to know, and a care sheet like Valinors Angel suggested would be appropriate.

My 2 cents. Smile

Submissions: 10

Posted on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:43 pm

Well, most people don't mind wearing bare copper. You're just goig to put ourself through more trouble than necessary, and probably ruin a piece or two figuring out how to laquer them. I recommend just letting people know that with extended exposure, sopper may cause skin discoloration. It's not like it hurts anyone.

Posted on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:20 am

'm currently wearing a bracelet I made to see how long it takes before my skin starts to colour (through constant wear).

after day 1, everything seems normal Wink

Submissions: 5

Posted on Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:45 am

Some people are also more likely to turn green with copper. Gold leaves faint grey/black marks on my skin, silver is fine, copper after a few days will start leaving a faint green streak. I really think it is all the individual person. Good luck with the experiments.

Posted on Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:13 am

shouldn't gold leave no marks? gold being a metal that doesn't tarnish?

Posted on Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:27 pm

its not the gold it self, it is the othe rmetals in it (remember 10 karat and 14 karat are not pure gold... 24 isnt even total gold but its the highest precent you can do and the piece still hold up well IIRC)

-matt

Matt Athayde

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Posted on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:36 am

yeah yeah, three nines fine. would still have thought 750 gold would still be fine.

mmm would love some 999 platinum jewellery *drool*

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1