"Rate this weave!"
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 30

"Rate this weave!"
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:36 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Would we be able to somehow affix a "Rate this weave" system to the weaves section? Either rated on difficulty based on all factors, or multi-factor rating system....

I.E.
Confusion factor
Speed of construction
Density
Best AR (Maybe tested max.mins?)

Etc...

I'm not sure how much work this will make for everyone, but I think it'll help people learn more.....

-Sir Slash

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:11 am

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea, but it's also pretty subjective. What's difficult for one can be second nature for another.

Just for clarity's sake; are you suggesting a system where the members rate each weave based on certain criteria, like they rate items in the TRL gallery, or a system where a rating is slapped on a weave when it is added to the weave library?

Submissions: 30

Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:10 pm

A little bit of both, actually....
Like.... people who have tried and tested the weave can put their opinion of it somewhere.... if it's either a 1-10 on difficulty, or a series of 1-10's for different factors, it'd be awesome.... maybe a "additional comments" thing, but that might be too much....

So.... mostly the second one.... how we all as maillers rate a weave... the multi-factor method would probably result in less "Oh no! It's too hard, Never mind..."

For example.... some people are much better at loose weaves, others at tight weaves...

AR Ranges are always useful...

Some weaves are nothing but evil to start, but easy to continue...

Some weaves "undo" themselves until you reach a certain size of sheet. (I.E. The flippy rings on the edges of good 'ol 4-1 make it tricky for some new maillers to learn...)

Pattern simplicity, maybe?

I realize that people's opinions on these various factors may be very varying, but if averaged, it should help....

Just an idea. Smile

-Sir Slash

Late note: Maybe when a new weave is posted, the auther could put a "base" rating on it.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:36 pm

As much as I'd love to see something like this (and I really would, I think that the whole community of maillers collaborating to build a system of ratings to help each other is a great idea) it would be very time and labor intensive. I don't know if we have admins with time to do something like this, and bringing in new ones requires a vote, and then there would most likely be another vote to determine the criteria and how much to gather, etc. to put together a ratings system like this. IMO it would probably be several months before anything got done on it if we made it part of M.A.I.L., and with the site re-design....I dunno'.

However, if you posted a thread in the weaves discussion requesting the members to submit their findings based on your research criteria, you could then work out the averages and post an article on the subject. The article wouldn't even have to encompass every weave to begin with, maybe just the most popular to begin with, and then you can edit it as more data is collected. And who knows, someday much further down the line your article might even serve to put those difficulty ratings on the weaves in the library.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Well, this is just me, but how about a formula for calculating it or something?

AR+number of rings going through each other (8-in-1 would get a higher value than 1-in-1)+Recommended size+whatever else

Or something like that.

Meh, my two cents.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:20 am

AR ranges could just be tacked in as people experiment with the weave, there's no real reason why AR ought to be rated. However if you had something like:

learning difficulty (how difficult is it to learn?)1-10
weaving difficulty (once learned, how difficult is it to work with?)1-10
practicality/versitility (how well can the weave be adapted to different types of projects, ie armor, jewelry, sculpture, etc)1-10
Appearance (does the weave look good?)1-10
Overall: average of the other choices

Each member can go through as they experiment with the weaves and rate them on these factors, then the averages of all users can be posted to see what the community thinks, perhaps all the results for each weave can be accessable so that people can see what specific people think of them. I for one would value the opinion of someone who has a more recognized strong knowledge of maille over someone who tries a little but doesn't expend much effort to decide his/her rating.

I do agree with Dierdre, implementing it would be hard, and I'd love to help in whatever ways I could. If starting a thread in the weaves section is something we can start with I'd be perfectly willing to do such a thing using my spare time. We could even make it a weekly discussion like thing, each weak a new couple weaves are put up for people to work on and rate by the end of the week, at the end all the numbers are tallied, added to an article, and the new weaves are posted. Like I said, if this seems like a good Idea, I'd be happy to take the project under my wing. I love working on weaves and this would let me do it for more than my own ambitions :]

Overall, I think this would be a great idea however it's implemented, though I hope it'd be implemented well.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:13 pm

Aye, this would be rather interesting to see done.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1