Dutch support to the project.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 3

Dutch support to the project.
Posted on Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:49 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello there everyone, or anyone.

This site is very good and I found more sites that were oke for me as a Ringaddict. It would be cool to join you in your project with some support from this side of the globe.

But, what the hell are those measurements you work with, never used gauges (aren't those for guns?).
Can anyone help me here. I work with silver mostly, I use silverwire of 1.2 mm thick (expensive dren) and wrap it around a rod of about 4.2 mm thick and then saw it.

Could anyone explain to me what this is in Inches and gauges etc. and how you define wire thickness and rodsizes and all that (mind the language barrier).

Sincerely yours.
Almer Meerhof

Submissions: 50

Posted on Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:24 am

Perhaps these links will help you...?
Gauge conversion chart:
http://www.reade.com/Conversion/wire_gauge.html

mm--> inches conversion:
http://www.national-diamond-gold.com/convert_mm_to_inches.htm

Smile

edit/ added link/

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein
Raven's nest: http://www.ravenrings.com
FiRe Dance: http://www.seraphinafire.com

Submissions: 50

Posted on Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:49 am

This site was just brought to my attention...has just about any conversion chart you could need..
http://members.rogers.com/gdevries/maille.htm

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein
Raven's nest: http://www.ravenrings.com
FiRe Dance: http://www.seraphinafire.com

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:10 pm

Very Helpfull Amoured Raven...
Thank you.

Just getting the facts straight; If it's mentioned as X/X i't's in Inches and you are talking about the size of the rings (is this inside or outside measure?).

And gauge is used to describe the wire thicknes, Am I right?

Just for practice, I use a lot of 1.1 mm wire = 17 gauge.
And I wrap it around 4.5 mm rod ending up with a 4.5 + 2 times 1.1 is a 6.7 mm ring (outside measure) = 17/64 inch.

My god, this is beyond my comprehension. I suggest that either yoou surrender and work metric from now on our I will be forced to work overtime and translate all articles into metric (and give readers a choice between them, would be cool).

But 'effe alle gekheid op een stokje'. I'm trying to learn the basics of the way you communicate around here and I'm still a bit confused about your ring defenitions. Is what I mentioned above in the direction? About outside measurments and all that.

Sorry for being a burden but all good things given will be doubled in return.

Submissions: 12

Posted on Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:35 pm

Hoi Djibriel,

Eindelijk een andere Nederlander op deze site. Smile

Over de maatgeving: gauge is de maatvoering voor draaddikte, en meestal wordt de binnendiameter van de ring opgegeven, en wel in inches. Met deze binnendiameter weet je ook meteen om welke maat as je de ringen moet wikkelen.
Millimetermaten zijn hier zeldzaam. Maar als je maten duidelijk omschrijft zijn ze altijd te converteren. Zelf geef ik altijd millimetermaten.
Trouwens, na een tijdje wen je wel aan al die inches en zo.

Een ander vraagje. Waar woon je? Zelf woon ik in de omgeving van Dordrecht.

And for all those people who can't read Dutch. I just explained a fellow Dutchman a little about the basic measuring system for rigsizes and stuff.

Greetz,

ELEX

Submissions: 27

Posted on Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:44 pm

It's all Greek to me!

:p

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

We are the Queen of Typographical Errors! You must all bow to Our Ineptitude!

"How the hell is a person supposed to take over a plane with a pair of pliers? *grabs pilot and holds pliers to neck* 'Take the plane to wherever I say or I pinch the pilot, I MEAN IT!!'"

Submissions: 45

Posted on Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:19 am

it happens the same to my... I'm from Argentina and at first I don't understand a thing... now, I'm getting use to the diferent measures.

(excuse my english, I'm trying my best!)

RIGRA, MR_RIGRA...

Quitters Never Win, Winners Never Quit, But Those Who Never Win AND Never Quit Are Idiots.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:27 am

All the ring measurements I've seen here are based on the guage of the wire -- which is standard in the USA - you can easily buy 16 SWG (Standard Wire Guage), but it's difficult at best to buy .064 inch dia wire -- and mandrel diameter, which is a rough estimate for the inside diameter of the ring...

So, if you see a post stating 16 ga x 1/4" id rings, they mean 1.29mm wire diameter x 6.5mm mandrel diameter rings..

Submissions: 45

Posted on Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:03 am

and what is the diference, between the SWG and the AWG???

(excuse my english, I'm trying my best!)

RIGRA, MR_RIGRA...

Quitters Never Win, Winners Never Quit, But Those Who Never Win AND Never Quit Are Idiots.

Submissions: 62

Posted on Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:03 pm

most american and canadian maillers dont even really no off hand either i bet so ur not alone

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 13

Posted on Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:52 am

oh, and the " means inches. American measurements use ' as a foot and " for an inch. So 3/4" means three fourths of an inch. Yes we should use metric, because base ten is so much better, but we are stubborn. We would rather give everyone headaches while trying to figure out how to convert 12 and 34 and 87 to 49.. I dont know, it's whacky. I bet anyone who uses metric can go from milimeters to kilometers pretty easy, but far fewer people that use american will be able to convert inches to miles. I used to know how many feet to a mile, but i haven't used the formula in so long, i've forgotten. I think it's a little under 4,000

And i find it odd that gauges are like golf scores. A larger number means a smaller wire. Some sort of reciprical fraction deal? I wonder.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:53 pm

I just work with gauge for thickness not worrying about the number, you just have to get used to knowing the thickness youre talking about. As for ID I like english but thats because its easier to picture a 3/8" ID ring than hearing metric and having to picture small millimeter differences.

Submissions: 93

Posted on Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:49 pm

MR_RIGRA wrote:
and what is the diference, between the SWG and the AWG???

SWG = Imperial Standard Wire Guage - An old English wire measurement. Still used in US for all ferrous (iron and steel) metals and many non-ferrous metals not intended for electrical use. Based on the number of times wire was drawn through an Imperial standard draw plate to reach a given diameter.

AWG = American Wire Guage (AKA Browne & Sharpe) - Somewhat obsolete American(US) wire measurement standard still used for non-ferrous wire and intended for electrical use. Based on electrical resistance in a wire, such that each successive number has twice the resistance of the number below it.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:12 am

I guess I'm lucky.. I'm 15, so in school they teach both Metric and Imperial.. I'm very familiar with each system, conversions from one to the other, and conversions within each one.. But I don't use metric enough to know offhand how big a 6.5mm mandrel is, but I do know easily how big a 1/4'' mandrel is.. *shrug* Gotta love school! (not really, but I'm looking at the bright side, 3 more years of high school!)

P.S. there are 5280 feet to a mile

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:23 pm

You know, Dutch support, in English, means "Just think, it could have been worse" Laughing You have to watch out for that.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Creationism is not the alternative to Evolution...Ignorance is.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next