Mail, maille, etc
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2000 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I know this topic has come up before, but I thought I'd ask it here. I've seen both 'mail' and 'maille' as spellings for what we do.

How about "maile"?

[just as a side note, apparently 'maille' and 'maile' refer to an old type of French coin; also to a rent or a tribute... there's no reference to 'chain mail']

Submissions: 0

I prefer the latin, macula, wich means net or mesh.
I was at a ren fair and someone got upset with me for using the term chainmaille because maille referred to a single link, so I made a ring out of captive inverted round and and told him it was chainmaille. This did not improve matters.
In the end, I say use whatever word you like.
The only thing that really matters is that you derive pleasure from your art. Names have little meaning.

Submissions: 83

I'd rather see it as just being called "maille" as i think it's the best way to signify it from other spellings and definitions of mail..in all forms Very Happy

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 20

My two cents

I'm french so maybe I can help. Smile

"Maille" would be a link as in missing link. Many "mailles" put together gives a weaving of some kind (shirt, etc...).

As for knitting, that would translate as "tricoter". That's actually the action which end result is a "tricot" (a weave).

Hope that helps.

[ This Message was edited by: Cetautomatix on 2002-07-03 21:51 ]

Submissions: 1

Quote:

On 2002-04-12 13:45, Mas wrote:
Exactly Uprising. That and maille is the French word for knit (if i remember correctly).

And you almost landed in the gold; the French for mail is mailles, and mailshirt gets rendered cote-de-mailles -- we also see things like coif de mailles, et cetera.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 79

i've heard different definitions for "maille". the internet most frequently translates it "net". however i saw a french -> english dictionary that listed "maille" as meaning "knitting".. the noun, not the verb..

kim

[ This Message was edited by: sakredchao on 2002-04-23 12:45 ]

Submissions: 3

Exactly Uprising. That and maille is the French word for knit (if i remember correctly).

Submissions: 0

I prefer to use maille for one reason only. Whenever I tell anybody that I make chain mail they get angry for making those stupid internet letters that you just HAVE to pass on. LOL. It's just easier and less aggrevating that way!

Submissions: 5

Up to this point I've been using MAIL as the organization and, to avoid confusion, maille as the stuff...doesn't have to be that way, tho...

Live, Love, Learn!
-Woody NaDobhar

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat May 03, 2003 9:14 am

By now the term "chain mail" has been so ingrained into the public that to use any other term causes confusion. When I sell at Ren Faires I always have a flyer with a brief history of mail, which includes the proper term and the Latin origin of the word.

When I was younger, and had not the knowledge I now possess, I also called it "chain mail" as I am sure most of you did as well. Knowlegde changes awareness and if you really want to think about it some words in the current English vocabulary did not exsist as early as 30 years ago. I believe the word "smog" was only first coined in the late sixties, early seventies.

So if a word that combines the words "smoke" and "fog" can be created and accepted for general use, why can't we just accept the term "chain mail" and be done with it. We all know the proper term and all we can do is continue to educate those who do not.

The Philosophy of Chain;
One link is weak and insignificant. Thousands of links are powerful and wonderous. No problem is so big that it cannot be solved one link at a time

Submissions: 59

Posted on Sat May 03, 2003 6:48 pm

sakredchao wrote:
english dictionary that listed "maille" as meaning "knitting

Well, it's kinda like knitting, if you knit with STEEL WOOL, instead of regular wool. Smile

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sat May 03, 2003 11:42 pm

That's just it...we do get to choose. We each have a vote, too...when a word becomes most prevelent, it will be, by definition, correct. Use what you want, we get it. 8)

Live, Love, Learn!
-Woody NaDobhar

Submissions: 34

Posted on Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:27 pm

Coyote wrote:
I prefer the latin, macula, wich means net or mesh.
I was at a ren fair and someone got upset with me for using the term chainmaille because maille referred to a single link, so I made a ring out of captive inverted round and and told him it was chainmaille.

Hey Coyote,

that would be a cool way to make something out of Macro-Maille (as opposed to Macrame` Very Happy )

I can actually visualize something like that...big CIR rings in 4in1, FP, HP3in1......the mind reels......

--David

David Stous
Chief Maille Smith
Wolf's Den Armoury
St. Albans, Vermont
http://www.wolfsdenarmoury.com

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1