I'm new and need some info/assistance
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 0

I'm new and need some info/assistance
Posted on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm looking to make a decrotive ball. Actually not really... I'm looking to make a weave around a 1.5" marble.
I have very limited knowladge of mail jargon but I'm told by my mail friends(that I don't get a hold of often) that I have a natural ablility with it. I enjoyed messing around at their booth learning but I haven't really had time and muse to follow my intrest further.
Now I have that muse in the form of a beautiful marble that I want to display on my ren-faire outfit.
I want to make a nest/cage out of mail. But I don't know enough to know what to look for when it comes to weave/chain/AR/ ect. I just have no idea where to begin. I can make chains well enough but I have no idea where to begin on my marble.
Any suggestions?
I'm also making a set of chainmail wings and would like any suggestions on how to make them. Like "If I choose this pattern and it'll be this size... how many rings do I need and which AR should I look for?"
Thanks!
TO

Submissions: 19

Posted on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:10 am

as for the marble, if you want some thing simple to start out with you could try jap 6 in 1 and that will take the shape of the marble with only minimal effort. if you want something with a bit more visibility you could try a byzantine hex-web, but that may be more than your looking to get into as you would need to use small rings(unless it's a BIG marble)

As for the wings, what exactly are you looking for? If you want something to wear than full mail might not be the way to go(70 lb wings will NEVER get you of the ground Smile ) but a frame for fabric or maybe(now i will contradict myself)some small rings (20 ga 1/8 ) in euro 4 in 1for the body of the wings with a heaveir frame to hold the shape, in any case good luck with both and welcome to MAIL

Chaos Est Vita
Scurvy free since '85
It's always night, sometimes it's just brighter than others

<a href="http://mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=55086">Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 Eo.f Feur MAg/Ti Wci$ Cbw$ G0.3-14 I1-75 N29.26 Pa/j Dacdjstw Xg16p5t2w1 S07 Hi</a>

Submissions: 0

Woot!
Posted on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:57 pm

Actually a byzantine hex-web is exactly what I was looking for! Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial? What kind of rings do I need? I am looking to use fairly small rings since the marble is only 1.5"

Also, the wings aren't very large. I only want to create a top support that they will hang loosly from so they dangle. I want a good look of movement anytime Zach moves. So they look like they are fluttering. I wa also thinking about making those out of a 1/2" ring with a fairly thin gauge. So they can be lighter but not take as many rings. maybe a 16 gauge. But I haven't decided on a weave for those yet.

UPDATE: I've decided and ordered what I need! Thanks!

Thanks!
TO

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1