Turk's Head Knot Ring Mk II (Images)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Should I post other wire but not mail stuff like this?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
No
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Submissions: 21

Turk's Head Knot Ring Mk II (Images)
Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:31 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Just finished my second Turk's Head Knot Ring, 5 instead of 3 leads (and 9 bights instead of 7, it's definitely better than the first, it took about 6 hours casual work, but I'm still learning little tricks to improve the result, so I already know the next one will be better, what does my head in is the rings that seem to have no space between the leads, hopefully I'll work out how that trick is done, it looks awesome and I suspect makes the rings much stronger. anyways on to the photos ...

The ring just after I've taken it off the jig. (That's what I call it anyway cos i think ring rig sounds silly Razz

The ring back on the rig as it shows detail better (the back of the ring isn't mixed with the front this way

The ring after stretching to suit my thumb (used a pool cue ... it seemed to work a treat but the cue looks a little the worse for wear)

The good side of the ring after stretching

The join, instead of soldering which proved troublesome for me on the first ring I've settled for hooking the wire back around another lead, worked easily and well, but not very elegant ... I'll need to find a better solution.

and the set of tools apart from wire cutters and the ring jig that I used in making the ring

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Submissions: 5

Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:30 am

That looks really nice. Maybe if I feel a little adventurous one day when I have a little spare silver wire I'll try to make one myself. Coif Smiley

Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts.

Maille V1.0beta T4 R4 Ffp6.1 MFe.s Wh Cb G16.22 I36.6 Pj Dadj S07

Submissions: 14

Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:08 pm

I put yes, but now you have to make us a good tut on how to make Turks head rings! Very Happy Beautiful work! Very Happy

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:26 pm

OH YES!

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 0

Poll
Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Not quite understanding your question - maybe coz I haven't had my 1st pot of coffee yet.
I'm very interested in all the different ways wire can be worked so I hope you'll continue posting your inspiration/creative workings, whether it's maille or not. Perhaps this thread might better have been posted under your previous Turk's Head ring thread, as it's a progression?
I look forward to seeing this as an article/tutorial - your original 2 threads were very well done.

The pic is "Schroedinger's Cat: The Answer"

I LOVE the state of Confusion - the scenery's awesome & the taxes are lower

There many be causes/reasons for failure but the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters

Submissions: 21

Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks Smile

I'm working on the tutorial, i think it needs a bit more detail than just the photos I posted in the previous ring thread.

forsaken_pariah: If you're thinking of giving it a go, please read the other threads I've done on the Turk's Head Knot Ring, and the Jig thingie for making it, and then if you don't mind if you could point out things that seem unclear then I can try to make sure I've explained it better in the tutorial.

Druid Queen: *Gulp* now the pressure is on Smile

Legba3: Thanks again for your continued encouragement, it helps me strive to improve Smile

Fantym1: on re-reading I have not worded it well, I was trying to find out if people minded me posting threads about stuff that was technically not maille.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Submissions: 5

Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:57 pm

I certainly hope to try it out one of these days, and I've been watching your other posts about it and it all seems pretty clear to me, but I seem to catch on to stuff like this much more easily than the average person, so I dunno. I think if your tuts are any more detailed than that it'll be pretty easy for anybody to figure it out. Wink

Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts.

Maille V1.0beta T4 R4 Ffp6.1 MFe.s Wh Cb G16.22 I36.6 Pj Dadj S07

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:43 pm

Very nice! I for one would be interested in seeing some more wire work like this, it looks like fun. Uber

If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898)

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1