Turk's Head Knot Ring (Images)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 21

Turk's Head Knot Ring (Images)
Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:22 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Here is the first Turk's Head Knot Ring that I've made ...

And here's how I made it ...

First I made myself a 'ring jig'
linky http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9438

Then I made a loop in the end of some 3 strand wire I had made (2 parts black 1 par silver)

The loop is hooked over the narrow pin and then run around the large pins ...

... to form this pattern ...

... and finally past the first line the wire follows ...

A solid wire is now run parallel to the twisted wire, and the large pins are removed and replaced with the smaller pins as needed to make space for this wire.

A second solid wire is now run parallel to the twisted wire on the other side, and the large pins are removed and replaced with the smaller pins as needed to make space for this wire.

All the pins are removed, the ring is slid off the jig and excess wire is trimmed

The join is soldered and the ring is finished.

Its a little rough but as the first ring I've done this way i'm happy with the results ... Total time including making the jig/rig less than 1 day.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:24 pm

That is very cool and I must try it out myself (when I have time). I assume you know this site
http://www.golden-knots.com/index.html
if not you may find it useful as there are tuts on there.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:53 pm

you should definitely make this an article (along with how to make the jig)

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:54 pm

stop keep impressing me anon, if not i wont be able to get my eyebrows back down from the ceiling soon ... Laughing

Thats really cool,Smile how the hell you thought of that ill never know. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks everyone Smile

I'll see about making an article, I think it will need some more detail and diagrams tho ... so it might take some time.

I like understanding how things work, and that lends itself to reverse engineering ...

the golden knots site Legba3 mentioned showed enough and was helpful enough to give me most of the info, then I leaped in with both feet Laughing

I still need to practice and learn about re-sizing etc.

The down side is i think I'm already suffering mailling withdrawal Coif LoL it's only been a day or so ...

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain

Submissions: 0

turk's head ring
Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:15 pm

Thank you so much for a clearly written (w/pix) post. I agree w/others that this deserves a tutorial spot. Great job & kudos.
Bless y'all for being here.

The pic is "Schroedinger's Cat: The Answer"

I LOVE the state of Confusion - the scenery's awesome & the taxes are lower

There many be causes/reasons for failure but the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:07 pm

Turk's Head Knots are one of my favorite knots. I haven't made them with metal before, but I tie the knot all the time with rope.

Posted on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:09 am

how do you tie it with rope? (do you have an online tutorial or something that I could see?) i'm no good at knotting, but i still enjoy it

Posted on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:46 am

Jazzer: try here http://www.golden-knots.com/teaching.html
Hope this has what you're looking for.

Posted on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:43 am

yes, that's exactly what i was looking for! thanks!

Submissions: 45

Posted on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Hey everybody, I need to bring up some issues, because we currently have an article on how to make the jig in our articles queue.

You may have seen my post in the admin section. I thought I would post here to get others in on the discussion. As much as I love the turk's head rings (and have made many myself), they technically aren't maille, but wire art. And this is a site about chainmaille.

The current recommendation that I am getting from other admins is that we not accept the tutorial on making a ring-jig because it isn't maille-related. We all agree it's very cool, though.

I'm sort of torn myself. But I guess for me the issue I come down to: where are we drawing the line between chainmaille and other wire arts?

Just food for thought. Please discuss, or maybe in another thread so as not to completely hijack this one... Very Happy

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:49 pm

I understand the problem of "Where do I as Admin draw the line?" Yes, it is very cool, and no, it's not chain maille.

I just finished looking at a bunch of tutorials on clasps, which gave me the idea that there might be a place for a "Related Topics" area on this site, where the vague offshoot topics might find a home. Jewelry, beads, wirework, etc. are on the outskirts of the chain maille realm, but if any out there are like me, the jewelry realm is where I spend most of my time, and I prefer this site to most.

So I hope you can find some nook in a dark corner of this site for items that, though they may not be strictly chain maille, they are forged from the same creative fire.

And if you choose not to post the final Turks Head Ring tutorial, I really want to find out where it ends up, because my first attempt many months ago was a miserable failure, and I'd like to benefit from the experimentation and lessons learned by Anon.

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:33 am

link to thread in articles section to discuss the issue of where to draw the line.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9522

Drax: sorry for the headache.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:54 am

Anon -- no need to apologize! It's important to talk about these things and come to some consensus on how to proceed.

You've probably already seen some of the discussion on the 'admin' board.

I would encourage everybody to go to the link to the articles section and vote/post on this topic!

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:05 pm

having some trouble tying the knot, can anyone help?? Is there some other site that shows you how to tie it in wire??

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next