Galvy Roundmaille Collar (Images)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 21

Galvy Roundmaille Collar (Images)
Posted on Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:42 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Roundmaille collar galvy 1.2mm 4mm id

This was my third project and the first that I am unhappy with overall. The clasp is actually a pair of magnets, and is probably the only thing that went right, the collar was very hard to make because the AR is slightly too small, I initially tried a larger AR but that didn't give me the look I wanted, and the mandrel the next size down was 4mm (I need to work on getting a wider variety of sizes) and it doesn't bend evenly (again too small an AR, i didn't notice when I started as the weave seems to tighten up as it gets longer. Next time I have a mandrel that is slightly too small I might try wrapping some tape around it to see if that fixes it. on the positive side I have been able to learn from it Coif Smiley

One of my current projects is a roundmaille collar galvy 0.85mm which if it works out will replace this collar. I'm using a larger AR and putting a twist into the roundmaille, its inspired by this post ...

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9308

Edit: The coin is an Australian $2 coin (for scale) it's diameter is 2cm

Submissions: 50

Posted on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:36 am

Cool clasp idea. Quick question, are the magnets attached/adhered in any way, or are they entirely dependent on their magnetic attraction to the galvanized to stay in place?

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:20 am

Thanks Smile

The magnets are from a electronics shop, they have a stiff wire on one side that I have threaded through the roundmaille to hold them in place,
they were originally intended to connect to batteries for use in kits etc ... I think they are more useful for jewelry as the magnets are stronger than the magnetic clasps I've seen so far (I think they use rare earth magnets)

(more bad ascii gfx)

----------[| <--side view of magnet before attachment.
wire--^ ^--magnet

If you look closely at the roundmaille near the clasp on the right of the closed pic you might see some of the wire.

I'll try to find some more info on the magnets for you.

Edit: labeled pic

Posted on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:08 am

Here is a pic of the packaging from the magnets in case anyone wants to try to track them (or similar) down.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 pm

Very nice, well done.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:36 pm

nice job, it looks very nice.
i never really thought about using magnets tho..its a good idea. especially if the magnets are strong enough to hold everything together

when all else fails.....smash it with a hammer!

Posted on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Thanks Smile

The trick with the magnets seems to be to make sure that you use rare earth magnets, standard magnets aren't as strong, and size does matter, the three small magnets I used on http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=123987#123987 are barely strong enough to hold it together if you are careful with it.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1