1.2mm Galvy 4 in 1 euro 9mm ID T-shirt
With Kings Maille edging
Weight: ~3Kg
Time: Spare time for 1 month

Front

Side

Quarter

Back

My first maille project, fairly happy with the result. I simply made sheets of euro to match a t-shirt, joined them, tweaked the design and then finally doubled the rings at the edges to give them more definition. The weave is deliberately hung 'wrong' as it causes it to open up rather than close in on itself as armor does.

Gawd the backs of my arms look funny Coif LoL

Submissions: 17

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:37 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

looks great! keep it up. I've seen pieces hung 'wrong' before and don't like them most of the time, and at first something seemed weird about this, but overall it looks far better than most hung 'wrong' shirts I've seen.

Submissions: 21

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:52 am

Thanks Smile

Doing it with the maille hanging wrong was a leap of faith, and I'm glad I didn't regret it. One thing I forgot to mention if others want to make a similar item is size does matter wrong hung weave is not as forgiving to different sizes as when it hangs properly.

I think the sleeves need a little work, are there any other areas that you think could use improvement?

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:08 am

just based on my personal preference it looks like it could stand to be a bit longer, and I'm not a fan of the 'v' neck in the back as well as front. a flatter neck in back is more appealing to me. The arms do look a tad odd to me as well, but I'm not sure specifically why.

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:29 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I initially tried a flatter back, but the maille seemed to droop and bunch up, so I switched to the V, I don't know of a way to prevent the droop, If there is a trick that will help please let me know.

The length is fine while I slouch (which I do far too much) but If I stand up straight it makes about a 3" difference to my height (most of which is in the torso) I should extend the T-shirt and stand up straight...

The arms bulge because the mail spreads itself out under it's own weight ... I'd like to revisit them once I have a better understanding of joins, and a good idea on how to fix it properly. I also should enlarge the arm-holes

The last two points definitely match with my concerns, but I had gotten a bit lazy and wanted to be able to say it's finished and move on, so your comments might help motivate me to do something about it rather than just being slack Smile

The neck I had given up on, but if there is a way to flatten it without the droop and bunching I'd love to fix it.

Thanks again

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:51 am

Beautiful! so perhaps it's not kosher; for a first project, it's damn nice. There used to be a thread somewhere about people's first projects, and many were nowhere near as good looking or well-built as yours. my own first project, a vest, is an ugly mess that I'm too embarrassed of to even post it. Smile Keep up the excellent work!

Wolfy

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:04 am

Thanks Smile

I did a bit of reading before I started here and on some other sites which helped immensely, and I seem to have a knack getting lucky when I try something new.

Did you finish the vest or is it still a work in progress?
I'd like to see it at some point if you don't mind, sometimes artists can see the flaws in their own works that few others can.

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:53 am

I'm not positive about the droop, but I think if you contract the triangle some as you fill it in some it should help take out the droop. That's a matter you may wish to consult with one of the more learned armor makers here, my forte is mostly jewelry and decorative stuff.

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:27 pm

well done mate! it feels so cool when you finally finish it too dont it ! Very Happy

Heres another shirt i see from a bowyers forum that someone made that the shirt hung the same way but they did a european 6 in 1 for the shoulders
http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/?board=RR&action=display&num=1155048230

Posted on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:40 am

anon wrote:
Thanks Smile

Did you finish the vest or is it still a work in progress?
I'd like to see it at some point if you don't mind, sometimes artists can see the flaws in their own works that few others can.

I abandon the vest when I realized how absurd it was. I made it out of 16 ga mild steel 7/16 inch rings (1.63 mm and ~11 mm), so it's hideously spread open. Thankd for the benefit of the doubt, though. Smile

Wolfy

Posted on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:58 am

Gnomeofdoom: thanks for the contractions idea ... I'll look into it and let you know if I have any success.

darksidedsam: Definitely a good feeling Coif Smiley ... I'm amazed at how supple it is. Thanks for the link, the mention of the 6 in 1 has given me another idea to try if I can't get Gnomeofdoom's contractions idea to work.

The Wolf: Sorry to hear that, 1.63mm and 11mm should give an AR of ~6.75, I used 1.2mm and an ID of 9mm resulting in an AR of ~7.5 so i think yours would actually look more solid than mine. Particularly at a distance, (from what I understand movies often use oversizes rings when they do maille so you can see what it is on the screen). Most of my stuff now is using much smaller ARs, no wonder it's all taking longer ... Coif LoL

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:01 pm

I just came across your design while trying to get ideas for my own shirt. I think it looks great, I was actually thinking of using a t-shirt as a template for my maille shirt as well. Looks great, any pointers for someone making their first maille shirt?

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks,

my main suggestions are if you're going to do something like a t-shirt ...

do a test patch before commiting to doing the whole t-shirt.

Remember the larger the rings the less work needed (twice the diameter = 1/4 the work) but don't go too large.

Don't make it from a metal you don't like, I made mine from galvy, and in the end gave it away because i don't like galvy, my main regret about it is that i didn't make it from stainless.

Remember that it's maille not knitting, that means that tweaks and alterations are much easier.

And don't be afraid to ask if you have questions or difficulties, I've found the people here a friendly bunch.

Good luck.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 pm

I have purchased stainless steel wire to make my rings and i'm hoping to make something i can keep for quite some time. Did you ever go back and change the back of the shirt and try to solve your drooping problem? Or did you leave it with the v neck in both the front and back? Also, how did you do your seems for the sides and sleeves? Sorry for all the questions but this is very similar to what i had planned to try for making my shirt and i figure you would be the best source having already done it.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 am

anon wrote:
Thanks,

my main suggestions are if you're going to do something like a t-shirt ...

do a test patch before commiting to doing the whole t-shirt.

Remember the larger the rings the less work needed (twice the diameter = 1/4 the work) but don't go too large.

Don't make it from a metal you don't like, I made mine from galvy, and in the end gave it away because i don't like galvy, my main regret about it is that i didn't make it from stainless.

Remember that it's maille not knitting, that means that tweaks and alterations are much easier.

And don't be afraid to ask if you have questions or difficulties, I've found the people here a friendly bunch.

Good luck.

heh, i'm moving away from galvy. not because i dont like it, but because it's impractical. it doesnt last nearly as long as stainless, and stainless looks closer to mild steel, and thus closer to how it was made before... except it could be polished with sulfuric acid (i wouldnt try with hydrochloric unless it was 316 alloy, and all i got is 304 which, though still having good resistance, isnt surgical steel Razz)

i had a about a foot squared of galvy in a patch i was planning to use toward a hauberk, but, changing to stainless, the galvy was ripped apart in places and reattached, with some expansions, into a vambrace XD

i still gunna finish the coif i was making, but anything new i start, as far as armor, is guna be atleast stainless (if it's for me. if for other people, their preference)

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next