Yet another new weave query
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 50

Yet another new weave query
Posted on Fri May 11, 2007 1:13 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Design influences:
Rhinos Snorting Drano/Barrel Weave (tutorial only) (aka Stairway to Heaven (third image down in the right column))
Jellybeans on Parade
Prejudiced Rhinos

Barrel units and Rhino units connected Jellybean style on a Prejudice (bias).

Different enough to be a new weave?

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 2

Posted on Fri May 11, 2007 1:45 am

I am not one to say whether or not it is a new weave and I haven't had experience with any of those weaves, but that looks really nice!!! I like it.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Sun May 13, 2007 9:53 pm

I may be the one with the authority to make that determination, but that doesn't mean I have any idea. These weaves will all be lumped together anyway. This is most similar to prejudiced rhinos except it has AE's in every unit (I actually have no idea why PR doesn't). Jellybeans is an exception in this category because it doesn't follow euro convention - all rings are done TE to the next unit. The only reason RSD doesn't have "units" all the way down is just that there's only one possible ring connecting each unit - just like a ribbon of E4-1. Where would an AE go anyway? So RSD really is the base, PR allows for AE's in every grain, and Jellybeans is an oddball. Yours is a variant of PR.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun May 13, 2007 10:13 pm

Isn't stairway to heaven just barrel weave? >_>

Posted on Sun May 13, 2007 10:50 pm

Tesserex wrote:
I may be the one with the authority to make that determination, but that doesn't mean I have any idea. These weaves will all be lumped together anyway. This is most similar to prejudiced rhinos except it has AE's in every unit (I actually have no idea why PR doesn't). Jellybeans is an exception in this category because it doesn't follow euro convention - all rings are done TE to the next unit. The only reason RSD doesn't have "units" all the way down is just that there's only one possible ring connecting each unit - just like a ribbon of E4-1. Where would an AE go anyway? So RSD really is the base, PR allows for AE's in every grain, and Jellybeans is an oddball. Yours is a variant of PR.

The reason PR doesn't is that at the time of creation, and based on prior experiments with the rings I was using, the rings don't have the AR to give me the flexibility of chain I wanted. At least, I don't think it would have been as flexible as I wanted. I may have to go back and try it. Besides, then it would have been (according to what I thought at the time) Prejudiced Jellybeans Smile That, and I don't think that thought went through my head. At least, I don't remember it going through my head.

Actually, upon further review, a fact about Jellybeans that I thought was correct appears to be incorrect. The connections between the Rhinos in Jellybeans are not standard Euro as I thought, but instead the two "horizontal" rings of a Rhino unit both pass through the eye of the units on either side of it. Which, of course, you said much more succinctly.
*smacks forehead*

Yes, it was going to be a chain of Prejudiced Rhinos, but the AR of the titanium rings in that weave didn't make it as dense as I wanted, so I modified/improvised/expanded/added/whatever.

Anyway, I did go ahead and submit it. If you don't think it's quite a new weave, that's fine, but I thought the idea was interesting enough to share one way or the other. And if it's not, well, then I guess I'm just not in touch with society's interests Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a sufficiently large AR, one could apply an AE to every pair of rings leaning the same direction in a sheet of European 4-in-1 and end up with Rhe.

Okay, done rambling.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:23 am

drac0 wrote:
Isn't stairway to heaven just barrel weave? >_>

Well, from the image on the website I linked to up there, they seem to be calling both Rhinos and Barrel by the name of Stairway. And actually, the image seems to be primarily Rhino chains.

Now, as to Prejudiced Rhinos not having Rhinos in every pair, I was under the impression that the AR on the rings I had would not allow this. Why? Because I had tried to do Rhinos Snorting Drano connected directly to each other, and the way I was trying to do it didn't work, so I extended that conclusion to the Prejudiced Rhinos, which was incorrect. However, in the spirit of RSD, I will be staying with the alternating Rhino/no Rhino pattern for PR.

Now, the question to Tesserex is, would a Weave called Prejudiced Rhinos Everywhere with an image matching the configuration of rings in question be accepted as a weave (under current guidelines), or would I be better off taking the time to just submit the image to the gallery and link to it from PR as a minor variant?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:35 am

Ahhh, ok...too many names for too many things.....Sad

Posted on Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:33 am

Yeah, everybody has their own idea. I'm no exception, either Smile There is a weave that I would like to be named differently, and I tend to refer to it as I would like it to be named rather than what it is named in the database.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1