Saw Blades
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Dart,

I use a kitchen strainer to clean rings. Fill the strainer with rings, dip in bath, then spread rings on paper towel to dry.

I tumble some rings in walnut shells or stainless shot after cleaning.

I use 1" blade because they are more rigid and run at a lower speed.

0.008" blades are fine for stainless.

I like to hand feed. You need to watch for vibration, blade over heating and ring jamming.

A properly setup drill press saw will cut a lot of rings, with very little trouble.

Harmony

Posted on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 am

Dart,

I use a kitchen strainer to clean rings. Fill the strainer with rings, dip in bath, then spread rings on paper towel to dry.

I tumble some rings in walnut shells or stainless shot after cleaning.

I use 1" blade because they are more rigid and run at a lower speed.

0.008" blades are fine for stainless.

I like to hand feed. You need to watch for vibration, blade over heating and ring jamming.

A properly setup drill press saw will cut a lot of rings, with very little trouble.

Harmony

Submissions: 51

Posted on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:16 pm

wakefreak wrote:
because it will heat up quickly so you can cut a few rings and then you need to let it cool off expecially if it is stainless steel

Even with stainless, blade overheating is not that dramatic. If it is, then you are either using very fast speeds (blade/coil heat is more directly related to friction than hardness), or you aren't applying enough cutting oil. The only time that heat has become a problem for me is when I was sawcutting copper. The coil was ever so slightly smaller than the same aluminum coil for which the guide had been made for, sothe blade cut diagonally instead of straight. The horrible diagonal cut created more friction with the blade, and didn't fall out, so it got so hot that the ring ends burnt a black color and no amount of tumbling removed that completely, and there were more burrs than usual on the ring, and in individal places the heat welded the burrs together, so the rings came out as a coil with a slit, but still attached to eachother. The only time I have ever broken a blade.

Harmony,

I have a wire mesh box that I think I could use to dip the rings into the bath, though I might have to use paint thinner or naptha, for that is all I have now. Can the bath last a few dips before it becomes too dirty to reuse?

I think my blade will be fine, for the armor has a 1" face, so it will support the blade and keep it rigid.

I think I'll stick to automatic feeding, for in my new design, the coil runs across a piece of angle iron, so it's hard to push on that, and also the 4" of coil before the blade will be completely covered, so pushing by hand is not an option.

One question- where did you get your steel shot? I got some from TRL, and it rusted when I tried to tumble stainless with it (I wet-tumble with water and vinegar).

Dart

It's never too early to be listening to your car while you are sittin' in Rod Ryan!

YMBAMI your dog is the only one on the block who can't swim, but he's a heck of a diver though
-Dragorlad

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Sorry to keep bumping all of these old threads. I noticed on my profile page that you can favorite things, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Would appreciate some advice on favorite-ing posts/threads. In the meantime I'm just using my post history.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:53 pm

favorites are for articles, gallery, weaves.. bookmarks might be best for threads.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 am

sakredchao wrote:
favorites are for articles, gallery, weaves.. bookmarks might be best for threads.

Favorites for posts/threads will be coming. But in the meantime, as Chao said, bookmarks may be best Razz

I'm working on it though, promise.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2