M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:08 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

This project still alive? =]

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:54 am

I have to agree with the privious statement, if it is still alive (or dead) I would be willing to help write it. I have experience in poems and in fiction books, I'm ok with factual books too (but only if I know about what its on.)

"Who is to say that I am who I say I am if no one knows who I am not to become but me."
-Azrenn the Draconian

Maille Code V1.0 T5.2 R5.1 Fbyz Mfe.s Wcs Cjaw G1.6/0.3 |25/1 Pa Dacdj S06

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:26 am

well then let me revitalize this Book thing.

i've got a little program that im using to right my maille book for H.A.M.W. and would be willing to use the same to right MAIL a book as well. but again i need writers and a outline. the page layouts and all that stuff i can take care of for the most part.

Azrenn, NinjaTails, LIcken_Flames. your all welcome to help here.

as of the moment the layout for book 1 so far.

yes i would prefer we do it in a set of books, this makes some of the more frighting logistcs easyer to work with.

Book Title: ?? Introduction To Chainmaille.

Introduction
A What is Chainmaille?

Chapter One - Getting Started
..A. SAFETY
..B. Workspace
....1. Storage
....2. WorkBench
....3. Tools
..D. Matirals
....1. Types
......a. Advantages
......b. Disadvantages
......c. Cost
....2. Alternatives to wire
..E Making the rings
....1. Technical info
....2. Cutting
......a. Types of Cuts
......b. Power Tools
......c. Hand Tools

Chapter Two - Weaves Types
..A. Anchent types
....1 European
....2 Japanese
..B. Modern Forms
....1 Persian
....2 Spiral
....3 Hybrid

Chapter Three - Your First Weave(s)
..A. Euro Four In One
....1. Choosing the right Ring size(s)
......a. Defenition of Aspect Ratio.
......b. Guages Explained
......c. Inner Diamiter or Outer Diamiter?
....2. Tools
....3.Constuction methods
......a. Ribbon Method.
......b. Ring by Ring.
......c. Speed Weaveing.

Chapter Four - Your First Project
..A. Choosing What to Make
....1. Questions to ask your self
......a. How long will it take?
......b. How much will it cost?
......c. Do i have the skill for this?
......d. Is it for Me or Friend/sale?
......e. What do i Need to make this?
....2. Gathering tools and preparing the work area.

More to come but i have not found least im my head the proper order to get it to lead to the introduction of the first weave(s) Most of the above is ONE chapter really. i've just choped it up a bit here for layout perposes.

I only what to include 5-6 Weaves in this book. starting with the basics: euro 4-1, jap 4-1, Byz, Spiral 4-1,Box and maby one Hybrid? say Helm.

Each weave will have a follow up of one or two patterns for ither jewelry or a pice of clothes. and in those sections we will cover all the additional information nessisary to compleat the project. say a we give a t-shirt project for euro 4-1, then we would also have to give the connection information for 45deg, and expantion contractions of euro 4-1. Thou we'll not be putting sutch a task in the first book that would be in like a special one dedicated to just that project or set of projects.

Dose this sound like a good plan to you lads/ladies?

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:50 am

I'm game! My question is about illustrations, however, should they be drawn, photographed or CG? I'm adept at the first two but have no experience with CG whatsoever. I would be willing to chip in photos of some of my work for weave examples or for an inspiration gallery for the book! Or even contribute drawings/art for the book as well.
I'm also pretty good at critiquing written work and checking for errors (similar to an editor). I can help in that area if needed as well! I'm concerned that the language/lingo might need to be simplified if the book is going to be for beginners and I'm good at K.I.S.S.ing*!

*Keeping it simple stupid. Laughing

Posted on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:52 am

Sorry to post twice! I know that's annoying...

What about a glossary/definitions page? As well as a section of further research and sources that the reader can go to if they want to learn more?

Posted on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:02 pm

I 'm gain. I am a decent photographer but im better with writing. I want to know an average on how long you think each chapter should be.

Also I think that we should have about three editors. Just to make sure its correct.

"Who is to say that I am who I say I am if no one knows who I am not to become but me."
-Azrenn the Draconian

Posted on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:15 pm

That brings up another point, just how "basic" should this book be? Should a beginner be able to pick it up and be able to learn step-by-step how to make maille? Or should this be geared towards intermediates who already have a sense of working with jewelry or maille and wish to learn more details and more complicated weaves? OR we could shove both ideas together and have an excellent beginners tutorial at the beginning, continue on with simple weaves and have the weaves become increasingly more complicated as the book goes along. Just spit ballin'.

Also, Maxum, I would love to see any of your page layout/design work that you've done in the past! I've only worked on newspapers in the past in terms of text layout and I would love to learn more about book layouts!

Posted on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:14 pm

I think we should have a seiries of books something like:
1. Chainmailling for begginers
2. Chainmailling for Intermediates
3. Chainmaillinf for experts

then

4. Guide to chainmaille armor
5. Guide to chainmaille jewelry

and maybe

6. Guide to chainmaille weaves. (we would just have to ask a ton pof people for permission to use it.)

-Azrenn the Draconian

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:08 pm

NinjaTails wrote:
This project still alive? =]

More like back from the dead, in my opinion Smile

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:26 am

Woot then Very Happy

I think the weaves should be in CG, it's MUCH easier to make sense of them once you learn how to use the pliers (which we may have to have pictures for)

The rest could be photography.

I can still open up a new forum if need be. But this time we could archive the stuff in a safer place (sorry about last time!), especially the pages.

I think I may be one of the few here with experience of Adobe's stuff (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) so I could create the layouts and templates for pages, and be called the 'page manager'

We also need a 'producer' for the book. This should be someone who likes to bug people about their work, and also knows quite a bit about chainmaille.

A big one we'll need is a know-it-all, who can verify the guides we write. Approval would have to go through him, and he'd pass his 'stamp' to the page manager.

Each section will also need its own editor. I know we won't have too many people, so most of the time an editor will also be a writer (and we may have people being editors of multiple sections)

Keep in mind that we can always use multi-purpose people... I'm a bit of a computer know-it all, with both Macs and PC's (even Linux...), and on top of that I've been in a journalism class where we had to learn how to use page making software (InDesign) for three years in a row =]

EDIT: I just remembered we could create a board OUTSIDE of my website... So I kinda did. Here's the link for it:

http://s10.invisionfree.com/chainmailbookproject/

I know it's kind of lengthy so I'd recommend bookmarking it. I'm currently working on the layout and everything of it, and I believe you can upload files to this board as well.

Posted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:53 am

I think all writers should also be editors (unless they are bad at editing) that way we can pass off one writers work to some of the others to proof it, that way we dont have to have extra people, considering we only have bout 5.

Like I already said, I will be a writer. I have no experience in adobe stuff so any writing I do will be locked, and you will have to copy and paste it to make changes. I have never used photoshop, but I have used paint to achive almost identical results (takes almost twice as much time.

-Azrenn the Draconian

Posted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:08 pm

I have experience with editing and critiquing written work. I'm also experienced in graphic design programs, such as Adobe Illustrator and PhotoShop. However, I don't have those programs on me at the moment as my computer that has the programs on it is back in the States. I would be happy to contribute any graphic design work that is needed in terms of the aesthetic of the book. However, I'm not experienced at all in making CG weaves. That is far beyond my power! I look forward to helping out in any way that I can! I'll even give writing a shot...but be warned, I'm not the best!

Submissions: 39

Posted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Can I get in on this!! I have done some writing, and while I am still very new at maille I am interested in helping out.

If I may make a suggestion. Instead of one person try to manage the whole book, should we have people manage/edit one section and then put the sections together.

Let me know how I can help and I will do what I can.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Can I get in on this!! I have done some writing, and while I am still very new at maille I am interested in helping out.

If I may make a suggestion. Instead of one person try to manage the whole book, should we have people manage/edit one section and then put the sections together.

Let me know how I can help and I will do what I can.

Maybe this could be the key solution to the problem.
The subjects outlined by MaxumX look good to me.

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=55086">Maille Code</a> V2.0 T6.3 R4.9 Eo Fhyb MFe.s Wci$ Cbc$ G2.3/0.129 I16.5-1.0 N29.26 Pn Dacdejs Xg23p1t2w1 S07

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Posted on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:08 am

We had an outline, and in the forum I posted before....

http://s10.invisionfree.com/chainmailbookproject/

The list we had before is already there, and several sections are already set up (though it's open to change.)

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 7. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next