Long hair
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

So, is long hair on a teacher a bad influence for students?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
91%
 91%  [ 33 ]
It all depends...
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 36

Submissions: 15

Posted on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:26 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Jesus had long hair... and so did every other guy back then... so why all the fuss now... society sux

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:40 pm

I at one time was an assistant Art teacher (for 5 years) and the staff of the college and some of the students gave me some crap about it but nothing like "its a Bad Influence". What i got was mosly odd Nick-names like "Jesus" because i had a really long beard, and Serfer Dude for the long hair after i cut my beard off. but none of it was ment in offence just normal banter. is it the staff that saying that to you?

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:43 pm

i've been trying to grow my hair long... but it seems i have a receding hairline and very slow growing hair... anyone with long hair out there have a nearly balding top of the head...?

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:05 am

I'll put my answer this way: I plan on going into teaching... I cut my hair once every couple of years, yes I'm a guy.

I donate my hair and have done so twice now (most recently this past march, and before that in February 2 years earlier)

Besides I look so much better with longer hair than short hair (in my opinion)

It's likely I'll wear it back in a low pony tail while teaching, and since I'll hopefully be a choral teacher I, as an 'artsy' teacher, will be granted a little more leway with my appearance. schools seem to expect the arts people to be a little more out there than other teachers.

edit: now that I've actually read a coupple of the responses before mine I have to say that my nick-name during the later part of highschool was also Jesus, especially as my facial hair began to grow in (came rather late much to my dismay) However my most common nick name now a days is "Mad Hatter" because I wear top hats and have for 3 years now... that is perhaps a bit more 'unbecomming' than long hair for a teacher. Come to think of it... I started wearing top hats around the first time I cut and donated my hair.

also as far as long hair with balding: my father doesn't really have a receeding hairline, it's just gradually thinning though the top is thinning faster than the sides and back. He brushes his hair back so there's not really a part, and often times has it tied back in a low pony tail. It really doesn't look that bad, and I've seen many people with long hair on the sides and back with no hair directly on top... not the most attractive look but someone can pull it off if done carefully. You have also got to have the right kind of hair, my dad's and my hair both are very thick (mine especially, it takes several hours to dry completely after a shower), so even though his hair is looking a bit sparse, there is still body and substance to it. if you'd got thin hair I don't think it'd look very good.

Posted on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:34 pm

Confused thats how thin my hair on top is getting... i'm only 25. i don't wanna resort to chemicals... my dad has all his hair and my grandfathers have most of their hair and they are in their mid 70's.... it's not fair.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:10 pm

But you're only 25? How's that work?

_________

Being from the third world, BMR claims the right to speak in the third person.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:38 am

I heard the balding gene is passed along your mothers side of the family Sothpaw does your mothers side have similar hair problems???

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:38 am

Sothpaw wrote:
i've been trying to grow my hair long... but it seems i have a receding hairline and very slow growing hair... anyone with long hair out there have a nearly balding top of the head...?

Yup good old balding going on right here..Razz my "old Man" is only 41 and like a globe, little bit of tuttle wax and you could give him a nice shine. my Grand-dad is the same botheof them lost all thier hair before they were 45. So i expect the same. (I am 22 btw) Howerver at the other side of the block, my brother has lost almost no hair and he is 7 years older then i, little igit must have Mom's hair. Razz

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 51

Posted on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:54 pm

When people tell you 'cut your hair off, it would look better', I see that as meaning two things. They are somewhat narrow-minded by not accepting you for who you are; and they dont realise that asking you to cut off your hair too look better is like telling you 'Cut off your nose, you'll look better'. The vast majority of people DO NOT look better with their nose cut off. If you like your hair, keep it that way.

Dart

It's never too early to be listening to your car while you are sittin' in Rod Ryan!

YMBAMI your dog is the only one on the block who can't swim, but he's a heck of a diver though
-Dragorlad

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:21 am

I cut off a good portion of my hair (16 inches) a few months ago and absolutely hated it. I'm used to it now because I kinda have to be, but part of me wishes I had kept it long. I did this completely of my own free will (if stupidly at that) but what I'm saying is, if you like it long, keep it long. Screw what they say, it's not a bad influence at all.

Though now my hair is shorter than my brother's which for some reason ammuses my parents greatly. Very Happy

"You're out of your mind."
"That's between me and my mind."

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:25 pm

Hey, if the Philippines doesn't want your grand teaching skills, the Dallas/Fort Worth area is short a total of 300 teacher's this year...just saying. Wink

I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas. I just think about it.

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:45 pm

Hmmm... that is most tempting...

_________

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:13 pm

Heh, that'd be funny cause I know someone that moved from here to the Philippines. I dunno why but they were obssesed with it. Razz

I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas. I just think about it.

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:15 pm

Really now? Here? To fresh Manila air? To the wonderfully honest government? To the not-annoying children who swarm the malls trying hard to not be Americans?

Meh... BMR's voice drips with much sarcasm.

Manila air = Very polluted
Government = Corrupt
Children = Girls->Trying to whiten their skin to look more western. Guys->Trying to look and sound American

ARGH...

_________

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:17 pm

All I know is, if you see a short fat balding white guy named Warren, tell'em I said "Hi". Rolling Eyes

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next