Which wire type is best for jewelry?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Yes, medical research is looking into both as links because while they don't have sufficient evidence to point the finger at aluminum, they do have sufficient reason to be seriously concerned. I'm with ladyfair on this one - don't put it directly on your skin. It's safer over clothing (like a chain shirt) but you'll still be in contact with it and touching it regularly. Steel and the traditional jeweler's metals (copper, brass, bronze, sterling, and fine silver) are safest. The general rule of thumb is that if a meal can turn your skin any colour than the one it naturally is, you shouldn't wear it (with the exception of the above listed - copper and brass can do this but are not harmful). Also, working with aluminum is dangerous as well, especially when heating or sawing. If you have to, wear a protective mask or do it in a fume hood.

Safety first, peeps.

--kiki b.

I once killed a lawn gnome.
It was lookin' at me funny.

http://kiki-b.deviantart.com

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:14 am

ladyfair--what are you talking about?--Argentium Sterling Silver or aluminium

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:00 am

We are talking about the use of Argentium and Aluminium against the skin and the alergic reactions some folks are having. Auminium should not be used for jewelry it can be very toxic to some. It is not meant for direct skin contact.

Posted on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:43 am

Thanks--I'd be interested in hearing about allergic reactions to Argentium as I use and sell quite a bit--I know aluminum and what it's alloyed with specifically causes severe reactions in some folks--but I have not had any negative feedback with my Argentium Sterling so far(using it for about 2 years now). Real Argentium(trademarked), is a silver alloyed with just a bit of germanium(chemically related to carbon and silicon), is still.925 pure silver. The fabricating process is patented and should be bought from a trusted supplier.---anyway, I'm going to dig a little more for negative stuff with this relatively new material-- good info at silversmithing.com or google argentium

thanks for your comments---charlie

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:42 pm

Update - It has been 3 days since I have touch any AS and my skin is finally clearing. I am 95% convinced that it was the AS. I wore it 24/7 for about 7 months. At one point, my daughter told me that I looked like I some kind of disease because of the spots on my face and neck. My husband said that should go see a dermatologist. It puzzled me so...because I never have had skin problems in the past.

Thanks for this post! Saved me a lot of money at the dermatologist.

Kodiak - I am real interested in your findings. Please post what you find or PM me. Thanks!

Posted on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:19 am

Its interesting that you should say this about aluminum, as I haven't, nor any of my family or friends, nor any of my customers in the community have ever exhibited a reaction. (I get lots of feedback).

When I work with the aluminum, my fingers do turn black from the tarnish, but I've never had the jewelry itself turn my skin colors, even when I wear a new fave for weeks on end.

I wash my hands before eating or touching things simply because they're dirty. My boyfriend warned me about the tarnish because he's a metal fabricator, and as a rule of thumb too much of anything can be a bad thing.

I don't work with galvanized or anodized aluminum, that I know of, its just the aluminum that's for wiring that I find at the scrapyard, just cut the casing off, untwist and go.

Posted on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:01 am

Argentium Sterling update--I've e-mailed and personally contacted my supplier(rio grande), a number of other precious metals suppliers that cater to jewelry designers and crafters--I asked specifically about any feedback they have recieved or heard of concerning negative physical reactions--allergic or otherwise--to Argentium Sterling Silver---I got replies in the opposite direction--people who might be allergic to SS could wear Argentium--personally I can't wear any bare metals, but I've been wearing a22ga. Jap/12-2 AS ring since x-mas--the take on this is the germanium oxide that forms to protect the alloy from tarnish also protects the skin from the silver and copper in the wire(alloy).-------------now--if your allergic to germanium---its in periodic table, related to silicon and carbon-- I'm sure theres going to be folks who can't wear it, but it seems most can--also keep in mind this is a new alloy--less than two years old--I still cant get findings in AS--but that's all right, I make my own--any other comments or experience I'd like to hear----Kodiak

Posted on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:10 pm

Geez, you're making me want to delve back into the science of body chemistry again.

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3