Which wire type is best for jewelry?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 95

Which wire type is best for jewelry?
Posted on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm fairly new to chainmaille (just started learning last year) and have a question. Is varnished wire of nonvarnished wire best to use on jewelry? I've used some of each and the coating on the varnished wire tends to get all scratched up and then all the marks from the pliers tarnish were as the rest of the wire stays bright. And yet the nonvarnished wire tarnishes very quickly, but is easier to clean. I don't mind having to clean the nonvarnished wire, but as I'm making the jewelry to try and sell I was wondering which type is best to use.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 6

Posted on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:48 pm

I've seen tape used to prevent the teeth on pliers from marring the rings. I use duct tape but the person I got the idea from was using masking tape, I think.

What kind of wire do you use?

Submissions: 7

Posted on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:03 pm

sorry but not any good help here... i make armor mostly though i am gunna start making some jewelry soon...

flare(sorry no help...)

If I am, then death is not. If death is, then I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:17 pm

WOW!!! Yet another Michigan mailler.

For the jewlery I make I use uncoated wire. Brass, aluminium,copper,steel, and of course silver and gold fill. I know lots of people use enameled copper and anodized aluminium to get color but I'm more of a metal-color guy myself. All jewlery is going to have to be cleaned at some point or another so I guess it's just a matter of what you think looks the best. Just be sure to tell your customers what your work is made from because some people have nasty reactions to certain metals.

Hope that helps.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:11 pm

Plastic coated wire works pretty well, but if you can't get that, uncoated is best. Looks great, and anything that tarnishes usually looks pretty good tarnished/antiqued. I love bare copper.

Posted on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:57 pm

Sadly, just thinking about copper turns me green. But I work with it anyway.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:22 am

i have only used one really nice jewlery wire cause i use copper steel galvy brass and alluminum the only real jewlery metal ive used si sterling silver where over here in maine it comes pretty cheap like maybe a dollar and twenty cents Surprised i havent compared really with other prices but ive heard a little about the prices on mail so it comes fairly cheap and so far it hasnt tarnished yet which does surprise me since we have had so many humid days the past week
Evil or Very Mad

Posted on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:45 am

Silver is great for jewelry. I prefer to spend the money to get the argentium over sterling just for its tarnish resistance. I've never had any problems with the pliers scratching the rings, but I use pliers deisgned for jewelry/beading, so they have no teeth.

Posted on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:00 am

laraneff: Where do you get your argentium?? I've been getting mine on ebay but I would like to have a back-up source.

Submissions: 95

Posted on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:38 pm

Thanks for all the help!! Coif Smiley

Quote:
What kind of wire do you use?

I use mostly copper, enameled copper,and brass. But that's partly because that's all I've really been able to find. I've also just started to use aluminum. Eventually I plan to use silver and (if I can find it) bronze, and perhaps some other metals.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Posted on Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:06 am

Quote:
laraneff: Where do you get your argentium?? I've been getting mine on ebay but I would like to have a back-up source.

I buy rings, I have no desire to make my own rings, I just like to make jewelry mostly.

I have gotten argentium rings from urbanmaille.com pricey but the best quality rings I have ever gotten.

I have also gotten argentium rings from make-chailmail.com, better price, still good quality.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:59 pm

well if u got the $, use silver. 18 or 20g.
but if i'm just makin myself a necklace i'l use SS so it depends on what/who its 4.

Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers Cutters Coif Smiley Needlenose Pliers

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:26 pm

i think bright aluminum or stainless steel are my favorite jewlery metals

(BTW, all my guages are awg unless specified.)

Posted on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:54 am

Spiral - You asked....."Where do you get your argentium" We sell rings.... why did'nt you ask if we carried it? giggle..... was a hot day.... when you were at my booth.....or maybe I forgot to let you know?

I prefer weaving with Sterling .925 and .999. The argentium tends to be bad for people with metal reactions (it is actually worse for them) so I do not personally recommend it for that reason.

Posted on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:01 pm

For straight chain work, sterling is great, but when I'm mixing mediums, like those chunky beaded bracelets you see in all the mags, I'm using 16ga aluminum. Plus I can make bangles out of 12ga + and it looks like Mexican Silver without the weight. Really nice feel on the wrist, my customers like the light weight and the warmth of it.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next