Chain Maille TATTOO
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 59

Chain Maille TATTOO
Posted on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:43 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

It's been quite a long while since I've posted anything, but I've got a new development that I think everyone here is going to demand pictures of.

I'M GETTING A TATTOO OF EUROPEAN 4-IN-1.

I'm getting it around a pre-existing tattoo on my left shoulder. It goes down the arm (around the first tat), up my shoulder near the base of the neck, across the shoulderblade a tad, and a bit on my chest.

After one session (once all the breaks were taken out, about six straight hours of tattooing), somewhere around a hundred rings have been drawn, slightly more than half of that shaded in dark gray with tones. There are alot of open points and incomplete work, but only because I'm going to need at least two more sessions before it'll be near done.

My tattoo artist is Kate Hildebrand, the famous tattoo artist who's done tats for Howard Stern (here's his testamony of her work: http://shanghaikates.com/howard_stern.mp3 ), Joaquin Phoenix, and alot more. With more than 30 years of tattooing under her belt, she's never done a chain maille tat before - and she swears that after this one, she never will again. The over-under work we're all so familiar with is ROUGH to draw out by hand, especially freehand like she did on my predraft. She says it's one of the most complicated tats she's ever done before.

She even knocked off a little on the price because I made her a maille hanging inlay of "Shanghai Kate", but her prices are still about $400 per session. Lemme tell ya, though, the effort and detail is worth the price. I plan on posting pictures as soon as I can get a worthwhile digital camera - the only pics I have of it so far are crappy webcam ones in bad light. But if you want to see what I have so far, say the word.....

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:58 pm

Dude, that is awesome on so many levels!

I would definatly love to see a picture, I've been considering E 4-1 on my ankle, but have it drawn so that it looks like my skin is ripped open and maille is underneath. Coif LoL

I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas. I just think about it.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:19 pm

This thread belongs in the Knitting Circle.

Submissions: 75

Posted on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:19 am

Dude sweet!! I definitely want to see pics of that.

Sit back, relax, and whip out some rings!

Posted on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:28 am

Update:

Sorry that it took so long, but I really did't have a good digital camera available for a while. I should be able to post the pics this week.

Good news and bad news, as well - while I was able to go in for another session (about seven hours) and more got done (that's the good news), my tattoo artist and I BOTH moved out of Buffalo. I moved to Maryland and she moved to Las Vegas. Looks like the rest of my tat might not get done for quite a while.

But I will have pics! Soon! Promise!

Submissions: 552

Posted on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Cool, can't wait to see.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:09 pm

That's flippin' sweet!

I've recently been considering getting a small wraparound tat of dragonscale on my upper arm, but I have yet to find anyone in the Washington, DC Area... Anyone have any suggestions?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:42 pm

I've just got a little lined in fivelet on my hand, but I love the idea of getting a larger work done. How big did she make the rings? Roughly I mean. ID? Gauge?

Guildenstern: I think I have it. A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself.
Rosencrantz: Or just as mad.
Guildenstern: Or just as mad.
Rosencrantz: And he does both.
Guildenstern: So there you are.
Rosencrantz: Stark raving sane.
~Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Submissions: 29

Posted on Thu May 10, 2007 7:43 pm

hey where are the pics

Posted on Fri May 11, 2007 9:58 pm || Last edited by RunVitki on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

wakefreak wrote:
hey where are the pics

Good question!

My brother has an 8-megapixel camera, and I was waiting on him to take pics of my tat - the wimpy 3mpixel one wouldn't cut it.

THE PICS ARE TAKEN! AND HERE THEY ARE!

The colored section in the middle is a Runic pattern I came up with - the maille is the only new part here. You can clearly see the detail that she put into this - and considering the money I put into it, it's a damned good thing! Smile

Clearly, it has more work that needs to be done, but it's a great tat, and a great start, don't you think?

More in the next post!

**EDIT** Modified picture URLs to account for new hosting site

Posted on Fri May 11, 2007 9:59 pm || Last edited by RunVitki on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

And here are the rest!

**EDIT** Modified to account for new hosting site

Posted on Sat May 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Update: I recently posted these on my World of Warcraft guild website. I may be a healer in the game, but I'm a tank IRL! Smile

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sun May 13, 2007 7:27 am

That is freaking incredible. I've thought about getting a maille tat but only a fivelet or something because I didn't realise it could be done that well. But that looks absolutely amazing. How long has it taken so far?

Siege

John Lennon once sang a song where he imagined a world with no religion at all, and how all the people would be living life in peace, which sounds like a pretty terrific philosophy to follow - but then again, John Lennon also sang a song about how he was an eggman and a walrus goo goo g'joob, so i'm not sure he was always 100 per cent reliable.

Posted on Sun May 13, 2007 9:01 am

Siege wrote:
That is freaking incredible.

Thanks! I walked into the place with a piece of maille in that shape (more or less) and talked it out with her (the maille was approximately 12g 1/2" rings, for those keeping track) - she did a fantastic job.

Siege wrote:
I didn't realise it could be done that well. But that looks absolutely amazing.

Well, I got lucky - Kate Hellenbrand herself (who's done tattoos for Joaquin Phoenix and Howard Stern and the like) moved in to a store right next door to me. She's incredibly talented - so finding someone to FINISH the piece now that we've both moved is likely to be very difficult. Still, no matter the skill of the tattoo artist, without US giving them good information on maille, how it moves, how it looks, and lots of reference materials, they're not going to make good tats - so if you find someone talented (and insane! Kate practically got headaches just from sketching it), go for it!

Siege wrote:
How long has it taken so far?

I had two sessions - one lasted 7 hours and the other lasted 6 hours. So, 13 hours and roughly $800 for what you see in the pic. Obviously, it was worth the money, no? I really hope I can get more done on it in the future, and at the same quality.

Posted on Sun May 13, 2007 9:04 am

Oh, and I should add this - she was NOT perfect when she was doing this. After a few hours, the template DOES fade from working on the skin near the transfer, so there ARE a few places where one side of a ring should have been over another, or under another, or whatever - so it's not 100%.

Still, it looks great, noone can disagree there. But you might have some fun looking for and spotting the mistakes. Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next