How does this sound?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 24

Posted on Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:27 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I think he meant least links with it looking neat. So like hp 3-1, or byz or something like that...

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

Watashiwa nihongogo wakarimassen.

Submissions: 62

Posted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:21 am

well then anyone whos in tell ur location and then well pick the weave and and ring size

personallly i think the metal doesnt matter and someone ask guiness if they would except something like that we need more organization lets get on with this it will be awsome and fun lets do it

~ALEX :D

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:57 pm

I would like to be a part of this! Where do I sign up Razz

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:37 pm

you're going to need to decide sometime, also how about hp3-1 16 SWG any damn metal. that should be interesting, i can donate some of that specific chain, out of stainless. if you decide on something else, i'll learn and still donate some.

Posted on Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:08 pm

:x thats not kewl enough how about a full persian chain 5/16 inch id (and wutever is close to that in mm) 16 ga. AWG or SWG (and wutever is close to that in mm)
someone do the math

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:59 pm

Mical
If a chain counts, from any material and handmade, then this is what I found on Guiness's website

Longest Chain Made From Gum Wrappers
Since March 11, 1965, Gary Duschl, of Ontario, Canada, has been making a gum wrapper chain, which currently measures 10,387 m (34,077 ft). The chain is made up of 1,585,382 links from 792,691 wrappers, and weighs approximately 211 kg (466 lb).

Also proving that our project links are handmade might pose a problem to the judges at Guiness. What methods of ring production are considered by hand? I know many people use motors on a mandrel and cutting luinks can be acomplished with bandsaws. Would this count? Where is the line drawn?
I am not critising just pointing out potential hurdles to overcome with this goal. Someone needs to contact Guiness and see what needs to be done, get some guidelines and discover if we have to compete against Gary Duschi... one chain since 1965 :o , and you guys call yourselves obsessed. LOL
If this is on then someone decide on a pattern and link so I can get to work.

Mental note... never take chain maille into a jet engine maintance shop. Can you say F.O.D. ?

Submissions: 72

Posted on Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:21 pm

AnglianFry,

You bring up some really valid points. Perpaps I could e-mail the Guiness people. Tell them exactly what we'd be doing and ask what the guidelines for such a project would be.

Any suggestions as to how exactly to word this e-mail? I got good grades in english, but I don't trust my abilities.

Also, if this project is still on, we'll have to come up with some place to send all the pieces to have them put together. I remember Intheend06 said he'd do it. What's the status on that, anybody know?

Mical.

Posted on Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:27 pm

i think we should do hp 4-1 with 1/2 inch 14 gauge galvy

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:20 am

lets do hp 18:2 if thats even possible... Smile

my myspace page
runescape screenname was Sour D
-trusty sidekick
-kid Confused

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:54 pm

lets settle on sumtin very common HP3in1 16ga 5/16" id
thats final if we should try this bcuz everyone has access to a 5/16in rod (and wut ever that is in mm.) and 16ga. they are 2 very common sizes lets stick with that

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:46 am

i agree.. hp3-1 is fairly easy. i have done a few things with hp4-1, but each time, ive had to go back and do it very slowly, ,dipping the first few rings in ink to give em a different colour, ,and follow instrructions. and lateley, i cant figure out how the hell its done. it definently is THE hardest weave. btw, i would like to contribute. not sure if my folks would let me send in tho. it'd cost too damn much

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:53 am

loserkid_182,

I seem to have the exact opposite luck with the Persian weaves. 4 in 1 comes easily without need instructions or a started chain. 3 in 1 kills me every time I try to make something out of it.
Would it be possible/acceptable for everyone to do whatever weave they want? The segments could all be easily connected then it would be a very diverse chain of maille.
Either way, if you all get this to work, count me in. Very Happy

Peace,

Matt

'Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
- Joseph Carey Merrick, "The Elephant Man"

Posted on Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:40 am

i suggest byzatine, its fun to make and looks good too. Why not try not having a standard metal. it would make the chain more interesting

Posted on Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:49 pm

I rather like the byzantine... at least I've not noticed anyone who has mentioned having difficulties with it.

A question would be, however, that although I realize this isn't exactly the most finacially conservative project, specifiying the metal type may further limit a person's ability for input if such a person did not work with that material. Plus, it would look kinda neat with multiple metals, depending on how the central person arranged them.

I know there've been a few volunteers for that position, but has there been a decision? A thought there would be to send it to a location with multiple maillers, so the job isn't thrust on only one person.

Random thoughts for a random day.

~~Kitsta~~

Go, Lemmings, Go!

There they go! I must hurry after, for I am their leader.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyse his delusions is called a philosopher. --Ambrose Bierce

Posted on Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:39 pm

Krista reread what i wrote this time accounting for double negatives that my southern hickness had to put in and see that that is what i meant

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 4. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next