request for inlay
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 4

request for inlay
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:27 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i need an inlay for sonic and tails (one or the other or both of them in one inlay) and can't find the software to make it... if someone could tell me where to get an inlay diagram rendering software I'd be really happy... but if you can't and you have the software i'd be even happier if you made the inlay yourself

--NinjaChainmailler Smile

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:20 am

Zolks made a inlay making program an IGP

linking'

http://www.zlosk.com/pgmg/igp/downloads.html

but i can make you one anyhow..soon as i get a pic of the two..

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:54 pm

yeah but it screwed up when I used too big of an image... it was pixel art too and it takes FOREVER to render.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:32 pm

Try looking here...

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=7758

You'll still need to find the image you want, but you don't need any fancy software. You can go directly from the image itself.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Posted on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:07 am

thx. that tutorial really helped... plus the image looks better than the one rendered in POV-Ray!!!

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:18 pm

It takes me a while to get exactly what I want with IGP but I'm fairly good with photoshop and that's usualy what it takes

Posted on Mon May 01, 2006 2:41 am

i found out you can make the image it Paint... just save the bitmap image and create the pixel art in Paint... but do it in 4 pixel squares

Posted on Tue May 09, 2006 6:41 pm

YAY, i love this place, just a wealth of information on anything and nearly everything i've wanted to do with my chainmaille. been using the IGP a bit but since my art skills are worse than some kindergardeners i have the power but lack the skills needed to make some of the inlays i want. the linked tutorial will help me out with some of the simpler ones.

Posted on Tue May 09, 2006 9:43 pm

or you could just get an image and open it with IGP! it works! it may be smaller... but it still works if you don't want it big... if you want it big all you have to do is double the size of the picture in Paint

Posted on Wed May 10, 2006 4:35 am

i have trouble getting some stuff to load in IGP, and the last one i did sucessfully loaded fairly large *since i'm looking for smaller designs for stuff like pouches, ties, necklace medalions...*

but i'm still new to most of this and still experimenting so hopefully i'll start having better luck.

Posted on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:25 pm

if you're making that stuff, I'd suggest using smaller rings, maybe ordering thin anodized/enamel wire from TRL and make your own... OMG I'm sounding like a chainmailling pro! Surprised

Submissions: 17

Posted on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:53 am

for MS Paint even: Couldn't you get black and white inlay graph paper, color the 'gaps' between rings slightly off white, copy the image and paste it over the image you want to inlay with the opacity turned off, that way the rings would take the color of the image underneath and the gaps between the rings would stay looking white (but not quite, this is how the opacity thing keeps them there while the pure white goes away) Once that's done, just manually edit the rings to desired colors

I give these instructions because I'm too cheap to go and get anything but too lazy to do the converting of an image pixel by pixel... I've yet to try this myself though so don't come for my head if this doesn't work any better than your other options.

Posted on Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:07 pm

that would take a long time though, wouldn't it?

Posted on Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:29 pm

yes, yes it would... unless you're as proficient with MS paint as I've grown to be... but it still takes longer than would be necessary if I had a tool like is mentioned here. Since I don't and I have this strange laziness complex thing, I would end up doing more work to do 'less'. :]

Posted on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:44 pm

last night I spent about 5 minutes making a black and white version of it, it worked quite well, but there was a flaw: when you put it over an image and want to make the image look more inlay like, you've got to go through and do some color fudging, that part took maybe 15 minutes, but that's not the problem. It took 15 minutes after I spent a bunch more time on the initial grid turning it a kind of pinkish color. When the grid was black it made it nearly impossible to edit the black areas of the image and make them more ring friendly. This would have been an easy adjustment had the image I grabbed to make my graph grid been completely black and white, some of the black was ever so slightly off that you can't tell with the eye, this meant I couldn't use the color fill option to change the whole grid at once, I had to go over the black with the pinkish color until I had a small swatch then I just copy and pasted the swatch, which made a bigger swatch, and repeat until it was all pink. The pink isn't a very pleasant color but it distinguishes its self from the image colors rather well and lets you tweak the image into inlay form. Once you have the image in inlay form, use the fill tool to change all the rings borders to any color you'd like and you're good to go. at some point (not sure when) I'll put this pink monstrosity up in case anyone feels they want to make inlays in an odd manner

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next