Gallery Submission Deletions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 10

Gallery Submission Deletions
Posted on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:48 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

So, I was wondering when the approopriate amount of time has passed after the recent passing of a family mem...er... uh...

I kind of figured that after gallery submissions have ben sitting around for a month without being edited to my satisfaction, I can delete them to save some space and make life more convenient...

Thoughts?

Submissions: 77

Posted on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:56 pm

I think there should be a line drawn at maybe two weeks after the submitter has been notified of errors. Then delete it. I mean for all it matters you could delete it right away after telling them, and just have them resubmit.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:31 pm

CyberKender said to wait about a month, which is what I've been doing. Frankly, a month seems a little long, and as a result the queue is getting full of submissions just waiting for someone to pay them some attention. I personaly think we should shorten the time to a week, two max, and after that ax em'.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:14 am

Not my department, but I think CK?s reasoning was that a lot of people may not be here all the time and to give them a chance to get the message that something needs their attention. For that reason I wouldn?t cut them off before two weeks anyway. But like I said, it?s not my department. I?m sure what ever you decide will work out fine. They can always resubmit as has already been mentioned.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:42 am

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasoning. But, we send a pm to each person (at least I do) and they should receive an e-mail notification that they have a private message waiting for them. Plus, when a submission is rejected there is an option to send a pm at the same time explaining why it was rejected. Even if they don't check the board for a month or more, ultimately they'll have two pm's waiting for them letting them know what they need to do to get their submission approved, and if it's been deleted then they can re-submit and we don't have to edit their submission.

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:42 am

I wouldn't delete before two weeks, but I think two weeks is mostle appropriate... how's 15 days sound? Hah, let's make an arbitrary rule and enforce it to a "T"! We can be like a national government body!

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:49 am

Haha.

15 days sounds fine to me, unless they've contacted someone to let them know they are trying to find the information? (happens sometimes with new maillers, especially if they are using pre-packaged jump rings). And how about whoever initialy contacted the submitting member about missing information is ultimatly responsible for deleting, editing, approving, etc. said submission?

I don't want to emulate a national government body until A) I own my own island or B) I finally become The Master of All Space and Time.

Any other gallery admins want to chime in and offer their expertise? Or anyone in general? Kabaalk and I are still the new kids on the block, feel free to guide us if you see fit!

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 am

Hmm...
New Kids on the Block...

...am I the cute one, or the scruffy one?

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:01 am

Which one was the scruffy one? You wanna' be the one with the hat instead?

Submissions: 30

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:30 pm

Actually, I was being especially generous, and waiting two months before deleting uncorrected submissions. Yes, it was because we have a number of submitters who only pop in every month or so. Two weeks is a bit short, imho. One month is easy to calculate, tho. :>

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:57 am

CyberKender wrote:
Yes, it was because we have a number of submitters who only pop in every month or so.

Okay, so, would I be wrong to say that this is undesirable?

If not, what can we do about this? Is there a better system?

Is there something we can do now? Is there something that's not worth doing now, but should be done on the new website?

What about changing the gallery submission page? Something to say "This will take time to approve. An admin will review your submission, and, if it does not meet criteria, you can either abandon your submission, or modify it. Please stay in contact until your submissions are approved, as they will be deleted after one week if not modified."

I don't know about others.. but I ignore my PMs, and I don't use an email address that I check. I check PMs maybe once every couple weeks just incase someone's trying to contact me, or, when I know I'm about to get messages.

That's probably not true of the more active members, but, we're dealing specifically with the drive-bys, so I think it applies.

On the whole, the current MAIL site isn't really set up so that your personal profile is much of a focal point. It's hidden in the background.

Ideas anyone?

Submissions: 77

Posted on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:34 am

Maybe MAIL 3.0 can have a personal news bar on the front page, or under the header of every page, if it's pertinent enough, saying something like:

Submission status:
Gallery item (description) - pending
Gallery item (desc) - Edit requested, check PM
Article item (desc) - Approved [ ] OK

With that being an ok check box next to approved so you can remove it from your news bar, as in you saw it. The bar could also be the new location for the PM notifying thing, as I think the bottom of some pages and not others isn't really visible enough.

Posted on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:53 am

My only real issue with the length of time a submission is left in limbo awaiting the necessary information for approval is that no matter if a member is a frequent flyer or a drive by member, they all see the same page when they submit an item, and they all see the same submission guide lines. It's pretty clear what information is needed to get their submissions approved, and presumably they know because they are supposed to read it.

It's really not a major life issue for me, just a minor annoyance that I can live with if we want to leave it at a month.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:31 pm

Is it a bad thing? Depends.
Several people don't post, but submit a decent bit of work. They may not be adding to the discussion, but they are adding to the base of inspirational resource material. That's good, imho. Now, if someone, a regular or a drive-by, only used the Gallery as a free image hosting solution, that's not good. I can't tell if anyone's doing that, tho. We'd have to look through the server logs for that info.

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:38 am

Well, that's not what I meant. All kinds of members can have all sorts of different posting habits. I'm not judging, and I'm not saying one kind is undesirable.

I'm questioning, is it undesirable to have gallery submissions waiting in a queue for up to a month, unresponded to? .. and if so, what we can do about that.

We could, for example, make it less undesirable to us. We could create a second division where "processed" submissions are sent to. A purgatory, where they're not loaded and in everyone's faces in the main queue.

And/Or, we could approach it from the other end. We could do things to prevent people from abandoning their submissions for so long.

In my opinion, it would be the normal case that someone who submits would like to see their item in the gallery *that day*, or, ASAP in any case. If they were cool with waiting a month, they might as well just have submitted a month later instead. So, why is it happening? I suspect because of drive-by members, who just aren't informed. If they knew "Hey, I should stick around to see if these get approved or if I need to make changes" .. how many would?

If we had better documentation, better guides to point them to, would that also minimize it?

I don't know, I'm just brainstorming, I've never reviewed a submission of any kind before. So, for people who use the system, what do you think could be done differently or better?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next